CanadaPost labour strife--and options to cope.

As I live very close to the US border I explored sending my stuff USPS as most of my customers are in the US.Very doable but something else evolved in my explorations.

I got in touch with Fedex and explored their "Fedex Lite" service which uses their overland system and promises to deliver parcels within 8 days from Canada to the US.Faster to Canadian points.

I compared Canada Post rates and the Fedex rates and the Fedex rates are cheaper.

Their system on line is far superior to Canada Posts as it reports to your account on the progress of each parcel until delivered.

You apply for your paperwork online and it gives you a barcode and customs declaration which you copy and either deliver with your parcel to a Fedex receiving point or have them pick up parcel right at your door--a service you get if you open an account with Fedex with credit card attached.

Seamless--from my door to my customers door.

My items are each in the $300 range and they are covered against loss etc.

This likely will not work for those selling items worth a few dollars due to cost but for those selling higher priced items--this is not only a viable alternative to CanadaPost--it beats CanadaPost.

Thanks CUPE--you didn't intend to be helpful--but here's a customer that wont be coming back to CanadaPost --strike or no strike.

AND I bet there will be thousands just like me doing the same.

Hope the foregoing is of some help to people looking for an alternative to shipping CanadaPost.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

fort2b
Community Member

wont' help me but i'm glad there are good alternatives to Canada Post developing.....tired of being under the dictatorial yoke of CP and CUPW.  Really tired.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Interesting, you triggered an idea to check out what was the lowest cost to send a 9 x 12 envelope.  After looking at a 62 page PDF it showed $16.50 and up.  Does anyone else know  if that is the correct starting point for an envelope or was I reading the prices for sending a small box?  Also does anyone know what the lowest courier charge would be for any courier service and name of such a provider? Thanks in advance, I am still researching various options.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Seeing as we're currently under the shadow of a possible lockout, I think Canada Post deserves more thanks than CUPW.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I found an interesting web site with tools for shipping.......they even have a blog on the current Canadian Post issues.

https://shipgooder.com/blog/

From the tools there I found that you can send an envelope in Canada through Can Par for $13.60 however to the USA there was no viable option.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Canada Post could survive by hiring all new non union staff. It may take a while to get rolling, but they could survive.

Where could the postal employees go to get what they have now, let alone what they are demanding this time around. Maybe they should look at what has happened to othe industries and be thankful they have what they do.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:
Seeing as we're currently under the shadow of a possible lockout, I think Canada Post deserves more thanks than CUPW.

the only reason there is the 'shadow of a possible lockout' is because of CUPW's antics.  They haven't budged one millimeter on any of their demands while CP has at least made some concessions and is will to go to binding arbitration, which always favours unions.  CUPW doesn't want any part of it because they know their lame and unrealistic demands will probably not be granted.

The weirdest part is that the vast majority of CUPW members wouldn't benefit even if the union got all its demands.  Most of the workers already get the higher pay level and have the good pension, yet because of a stubborn union, these workers are facing being locked out and losing untold thousands in income....income they will never recover even if CP caves and gives into all of CUPWs demands.

Until a few days ago my support was firmly behind CUPW......but once Palecek started opening his mouth that support vanished fast.  I feel for the union workers as I suspect the vast majority are also being held hostage by all this and have no interest in striking or being locked out and just want to work; business as usual.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

"Does anyone else know if that is the correct starting point for an envelope or was I reading the prices for sending a small box?" 

According to my research, couriers don't differentiate between envelopes and parcels. There is no 'lettermail' equivalent to them akin to how Canada Post charges one rate for items under 2 cm tall and another for those thicker. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@fort2b wrote:
the only reason there is the 'shadow of a possible lockout' is because of CUPW's antics.  They haven't budged one millimeter on any of their demands while CP has at least made some concessions and is will to go to binding arbitration, which always favours unions.  CUPW doesn't want any part of it because they know their lame and unrealistic demands will probably not be granted.
The weirdest part is that the vast majority of CUPW members wouldn't benefit even if the union got all its demands.  Most of the workers already get the higher pay level and have the good pension, yet because of a stubborn union, these workers are facing being locked out and losing untold thousands in income....income they will never recover even if CP caves and gives into all of CUPWs demands.
Until a few days ago my support was firmly behind CUPW......but once Palecek started opening his mouth that support vanished fast.  I feel for the union workers as I suspect the vast majority are also being held hostage by all this and have no interest in striking or being locked out and just want to work; business as usual.

Right now I have no reason to doubt the union's claim that Canada Post is spinning its wheels and most of the discussion at the bargaining table has been about what CPC wants, not what CUPW wants, which is why CUPW hasn't been able to "budge" on its proposals:  They haven't been dealt with yet.   If you've got any hard evidence otherwise, let me know.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

My intention was to propose alternatives for shipping--not to take sides and argue their respective merits.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Suggest you talk with a Fedex rep directly for your answers.

I have found them very helpful.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@ammolitehunter wrote:

My intention was to propose alternatives for shipping--not to take sides and argue their respective merits.

So why thank CUPE [sic] in your post?  That seems like taking sides to me.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@fort2b wrote:

Right now I have no reason to doubt the union's claim that Canada Post is spinning its wheels and most of the discussion at the bargaining table has been about what CPC wants, not what CUPW wants, which is why CUPW hasn't been able to "budge" on its proposals:  They haven't been dealt with yet.   If you've got any hard evidence otherwise, let me know.

They went to Conciliation. Hogging the mic wouldn't be allowed.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Where is any of your hard evidence?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

If it's on the union site it must be true!  Smiley LOL

(couldn't find the sarcastic smiley)

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Where is any of your hard evidence?

Never said I had any.  Just saying that the union's side of the story seems more plausible to me than the employer's.

Just wondering where you're getting your tidbits of information from, that's all.  Seems like the same old union trashing that the B.C.provincial government tried out on teachers in 2014 around the time the BC Teachers' Federation went on strike.  After a while, people started waking up to the fact that the provincial school system was in dire straits and the government trying to make teachers scapegoats for everything (even going so far as to portray them as "greedy") was nonsense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/caroline-cho/bc-teachers-strike-2014_b_5394463.html

T
here are now several parent and community groups in the province working towards educating the general public on the provincial government's mishandling of public education, and a provincial election is on the horizon next May.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I am so sorry you feel the way you do and you are so pro union, anti CP that is realy makes me wonder what you do and who you work for.

I have worked both union jobs, and non union jobs, and am not pro union or anti union per se.

I don't like the postal unions as they always have ridiculous demands and the only people that pay are the ones that use the postal system.

Unions were needed at one time and no one disputes that. However employment and employees have changed over time to make many unions unnecessary. I have no problem with them continuing.

I do have a problem with this one as their demands are ridiculous in the work environment today. They get worse every contact, they do not negotiate, they issue demands and if they don't get them we as the public suffer.

I hope they get locked out, the union gets dissolved, and we can get back to normal. It may take a while but better than going through this ridiculous fiasco every time their contact expires

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Re:

"So why thank CUPE [sic] in your post?  That seems like taking sides to me."

Yes.

A union groupie would.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

From what I read today (and this is a link I posted elsewhere) you are lucky to have found a courier who is willing to take you on as a new client. While I highly doubt any courier is turning away packages brought to the counter, it doesn't sound like they're panting for new clients right now. http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/canada-post-lockout-alternatives-1.3670342

"UPS spokesperson Nirali Raval confirms that business has already picked up at the company that claims to be the world's largest parcel delivery service, but refugees from Canada Post cannot expect the same service as regular customers.

"In the result of a Canada Post work stoppage, UPS Canada top priority is to serve our existing customers and their volume," said Raval in an email.

But Raval says new customers are welcome to try the UPS alternative service, where you can drop off and pick up parcels at storefronts."

The boldface is mine. Refugees. Huh. Probably the reporter's choice of words and not paraphrased from the man quoted. 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

I am so sorry you feel the way you do and you are so pro union, anti CP that is realy makes me wonder what you do and who you work for.

I don't need your sympathy for this, but thank you anyway.

I am a union member.  I, too, used to think that unions had had their day in the sun, but once I awoke to the reality that many employers will do anything they can possibly get away with when it comes to HR, I began to appreciate their necessity in this day and age.

After all, employees don't unionize if they feel that their employer treats them well.

In addition, unions ensure that some sort of due process is followed in the event of a conflict or dispute on the job.  Unions, as I'm sure you realize, are busy helping its members year-round, not just at the bargaining table.  Or at least mine is.

@dutchman48 wrote:

I don't like the postal unions as they always have ridiculous demands and the only people that pay are the ones that use the postal system.

Since you don't give an example of what you consider a "ridiculous" demand, I can't comment much on that, but keep history in mind.   A 40-hour work week, days off, parental/maternity leave, sick leave, and so forth were probably considered just as ridiculous when they were first proposed.

Also consider how the bargaining process works.  You don't bargain with a car salesperson by opening with your final offer.  Likewise, you don't come to the bargaining table with a list of what you're prepared to settle for.  You come to the table with your ideal scenario.  Canada Post wants to take a lot of stuff away from its CUPW workers, CUPW wants to make gains.  Ideally, there's give and take involved until an agreement is reached that both sides are somewhat happy and slightly unhappy with.

And as for paying for these proposals, what business or service do you use where you're not paying for the company's human resources?

Also keep in mind that employees that are paid a decent wage or salary and don't have to worry so much about how to pay for their next round of dental treatment are more likely to put their money into other parts of the economy, perhaps even your eBay store.  Money that stays in the coffers of the employer or their CEOs is far less likely to reach John or Jane Q. Public.

@dutchman48 wrote:

I hope they get locked out, the union gets dissolved, and we can get back to normal. It may take a while but better than going through this ridiculous fiasco every time their contact expires

Dissolving the union is actually the antithesis of "back to normal".  The race to the bottom mentality that seems to pervade anti-union sentiment hurts all of us in the long run.  It's no coincidence that the economy was at its strongest when unions were at their peak of influence.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply