Canadian Buyers: Beware

I recently purchased a used item, from an individual (non-business). This individual claims to only have listed and received $25 for shipping, but eBay charged me a total of over $61.

I just want to help get the word out. More Canadians need to be aware of this practice.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Canadian Buyers: Beware

There are multiple threads about the Global Shipping Program on ebay Canada Community.

If you, as a buyer, wish to avoid using it, this is easily done by browsing items on a desktop computer and setting your search results view to List and then avoiding any that have Customs Services and International Tracking provided in the view.

true.jpeg

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for this information.

Since there are other competing sites to ebay where I don't need to worry about such unexpected (and, as I have argued in another thread) often unjustified fees, I'll just stop using eBay. As consumers, we shouldn't reward business practices that seem inappropriate.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@tcsmith315 wrote:
... I'll just stop using eBay. ...

You are NOT buying from eBay -- you are buying from sellers on eBay.

Be a SMART buyer and check to see what the total cost is before you pay -- that applies to any online purchase (especially purchases made with mobile devices).

Since GSP can only be used by USA and UK sellers, you imported into Canada. You should always be prepared for extra costs for crossing the border -- not surprised. That way, if it dodges the tax man when crossing you'll be pleased.

-..-

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Canada has a very low  value for duty-free imports; only $20 CDN (about $16USD).

While the CBSA officers have taken the informal view that it makes no sense to assess an import for duty (and Sales Tax, usually more than duty) if the money they collect is less than the labour cost of the assessment*, bulky and high value parcels are more likely to be pulled out for assessement.

When Canada Post brings the imported purchase to your doorstep, you will be charged that duty, SALES TAX,  and a $9,95 service fee by CPO.

Generally, small packages valued under $100CDN are ignored, but never never count on this. An officer may be having a bad day, or a sniffer dog may act funny around your parcel, or the officer may be doubtful about the actual contents.

*CBSA officials' wage starts at ~$40Kannually- about 34 cents a minute.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Agreed, be SMART and shop elsewhere if we can. We seem to buy something from eBay directly - that is the service of collecting "some" fees.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply