Canadian Powersellers : Useful tips to quickly get the 15% discount

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
Hi everyone,

Many people around here are complaining about the fact that it's impossible to get that 15% discount if you are a Canadian Powerseller. I am Canadian and I quickly ramped up my DSR to get that 15% discount on fees. For your information, I still have my DSR at 4.7 for shipping charges in my feedback page (last 12 months), but the dashboard 30 days rating is now at 4.88! And it's the 2nd month I get 15%. Here are my complete 30 days DSR :

Item as described - 4.84
Communication - 4.95
Shipping time - 4.93
Shipping charges - 4.88

How I achieve this 30 days DSR ? That was no big deal.

About DSR, the only difference for a Canadian compared to an American is "Shipping time" and "Shipping charges", everybody agrees with that.

About "Item as described", you just don't screw buyers with blurred pics or hiding flaws, because you will obviously pay for it one day or another, nothing new here.

But about "Communication", what if I told you this is the communication that will help the most to increase your "Shipping time" and "Shipping charges" DSR, I'll explain later.

But first of all, you have to ship very quickly. Item has to be shipped within 24h, same day if possible. Ship what you packaged during the last 24h at end of day, right before post office closes, and do this business everyday. That's your job, don't get cheap on shipping time, you'll pay for it. Also, don't even think making profit with shipping charges, you can't do this at the same time you get the 15% (some of you could think "whatever, I make more money with profit than 15% off", but only one way could lead to a negative feedback if you exaggerate!). Add packaging material to Canada Post shipping cost, that's all. If you can't make your profit exclusively from the items you are selling here, you are not in business anyway, you are just screwing people with hidden fees.

I already hear many Canadian Powersellers saying "I ship within 24h but buyers only think about delivery time, because delivery took a while", or "Canada Post charge too much compared to USPS". You are right, so right. You cannot change this, solution is elsewhere. Here how to change all this :

1) Ship same day or next day after payment is received, your buyer would like the item to be shipped the minute payment is sent, that is normal.

2) Very quickly send a shipping confirmation email though eBay system, if you don't have an automated function to send shipping confirmation emails. Try something like this :

Hi,

Thank you for your payment. Your item has quickly been shipped this Thursday, July 3.

Please do not hesitate to email me if you have any question or concern.

Best regards,

Eric

Don't forget to rename the email title "Shipping confirmation for item #1234567890", instead of eBay default title, it will save you many "Item not received yet, when did you ship my item?" time wasting emails.

3) For questions from buyer, always begin your email with "I'll be happy to help you with your question", even if the buyer seems tense. You are a professional.

Another tip about responding to questions, always wish "good luck" to a potential bidder in your response. Many people are superstitious and will be encouraged to win the item.

4) Buy self-printable business card and print them onb both sides with this :

side 1 - Of course, your logo, username, store name, email address, etc.

side 2 - Here is a good example of what is on my card :

Thank you for leaving positive feedback for the top
service you received :

-Accurate item description with detailed picture

-Item shipped within 24h (on business days)

-Shipping notification sent / questions responded within hours

-Exact Canada Post shipping cost (including packaging material)

Your business is appreciated. Please do not hesitate to send an email if you have any question or if you need assistance with your order...

This card, inserted in your package, will make all the difference. Why ? Simply because you are telling your buyer exactly what you did for him, at the same time he will open the package and enjoy the item. This is the most important moment of the transaction. This is when you remind the buyer you did great. Many chance they will quickly and gladly leave a great positive feedback for you, with perfect DSR, simply because you tell them to.

4) Your satisfied buyers will help you keeping a very good DSR, but only if they come back. I created a system of three feedback comments for them, to make them feel a good very welcomed customer :

My default feedback comment for a new buyer is used to directly invite to purchase again.

Fast payment, thanks! Great eBayer, highly recommended! A+++ Come back anytime!

For a second purchase, I use the following comment.

Fast payment, thank you ! Great repeat buyer, highly recommended ! A+++

At the third purchase, just show you love to do business with the buyer.

Fast payment as always, thanks! Wonderful repeat buyer, highly recommended! A+++

And please, leave the feedback comment at the same time you send shipping confirmation. Your buyer will see it as a very good start, and anyway you cannot leave negative or neutral. Don't be afraid and most of all don't think "I won't leave any feedback if I don't receive positive". Just show your appreciation, you will look confident about your professionalism and anyway your little business card will do the rest of the job.

5) Remain positive and do your best.

Do these 5 things, nothing less, and your DSR will rise. Otherwise, that is laziness and you don't deserve 15% discount.

Good luck with your new and improved professionalism!

Eric
Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Thank you Eric. That was very helpful. For the last few days I have been struggling emotionally with my falling DSRs. I'm getting very discouraged. This morning I woke up to my first lowered search rating. Two days ago I was in the raised category.

I follow just about all your rules. I ship twice a day during busy times and always less than 24 hours after payment received.

I leave feedback first, with info about either shipping time, expected delivery or reminder its coming from CANADA.

I answer emails promptly and politely and conclude with either: have a great day, thanks for your interest or good luck bidding.

I took someone's advice the other day (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering names) and have made my shipping specials more visible in my autions. I launched a bunch this week so you can see what I've done.

I don't insert a business card but have been putting in this letter. It's also very similar to what is written in my shipping notification email.

Please anyone, critique this....maybe this is where the problem lies. I think most of this is from Xena and Bernie (?) I can't remember who I borrowed this from...thanks whoever it was.

I highlight "please do not hesitate to contact me" and "no handling fees" Then I sign my name at the bottom.

I know it's long...any idea how to get the point across and be less wordy? Would a business card like Eric's be the best idea?

Hello and thank you for your purchase from Sunshine Daydreams. I trust that the merchandise you received fully meets or exceeds your expectations. If you have any concerns at all please do not hesitate to contact me. I will do whatever I can to make your shopping experience a positive one.

When you get a chance, could you perhaps log into eBay and leave me some feedback? I have left positive feedback for you and hope that you'll return the favor in kind if you are happy with your purchase(s).

A NOTE TO FEEDBACK:
eBay has implemented a 5-Star rating system. When rating for “shipping time and related charges”, please keep in mind that your purchase came from Ontario, Canada where postal costs are higher than in the U.S. There is NO HANDLING FEE and your item(s) was most likely sent for below actual shipping cost. Shipping time refers to how quickly the seller ships after receiving cleared payment (I ship within 24 hours except Sunday) and NOT how long the package takes to arrive to you. The seller has absolutely no control over Canada Post’s delivery times.

It has been a pleasure serving you, thanks again for your business and we hope that you will “visit” again soon and have an excellent 5 star day!

If anyone, has any ideas for me I will be most happy and thankful. At the rate my DSRs are falling, I'm beginning to think I'll be losing my PS status shortly. I've invested too much into my business to leave with my tail between my legs.

Thanks,
Shari
Message 2 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
For real- earlier today I have just RAISED our shipping prices for Coffee MUGS. (from US$10 to US$12 within Canada and the US)
AND- dropped discounting THIRD MUG PURCHASED. (explained in auction's copy)
Over the weekend- I will proceed to RAISE our mailing rates for ALL other items.

I have just moved our suggested time for sending item from 3-4 days- TO 3-5days. (I am considering pushing that to SEVEN days.)

AND- we will clearly state in our auctions that we will now MAIL items, once or twice a week- AT OUR CONVENIENCE.

COME ON- shipping within 24hous, and running to the Post Office TWICE a day ????? GET REAL . WITH GAS AT $1.50+ a litre- NO WAY- NO HOW!
Let's ALL take a stand for the reality that we live in. And not the fantasy shopping experience that eBay would like to present!

WE WILL ALSO ADD THE FOLLOWING NOTE to ALL our auctions:
"There are many fine sellers on eBay who offer similar products.
Our goal has always been SAFE delivery of your items, and not speed.
We appreciate the feedback of thousands of our happy customers.
IF TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE- AND YOU EXPECT NEAR IMMEDIATE DELIVERY- PLEASE SHOP ELSEWHERE!" (or something very similar)

And, YES- I am serious!
For those who don't believe me- check our listings next week, and compare them to those that are archived!

PEOPLE- take charge of your business.
DON'T be bullied by eBay's nonsense.

THERE IS LIFE BEYOND eBAY.
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
purse_of_the_legionary-
This is not a complaint- I just almost totally disagree with your overzealousness. We are almost at completely opposite ends of the spectrum, when it comes to customer interaction.

Your yearly DSR's stand at 4.8/4.9/4.8/4.7

Our yearly DSR's stand at 5.0/4.9/4.8/4.8
and I am perfectly happy with that.

And that's without all the extra e-mails, extraordinary effort, and constant running to the Post Office.
If we forgo a few dollars in savings- who cares. The amount of DSR% discounting- would be less than $15, and it just isn't worth the effort!

We will not be bullied by eBay's inane shipping suggestions. (OFFER FREE SHIPPING_ practically make the Post Office your second home!)
While your ideas may well work for some seller's, our methods have brought us to where we are- and we are happy!

Isn't happiness more important than a few extra dollars?
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Eric,

You should be applauded for your efforts! It is because of sellers like you...that we all will succeed!

I enjoy your positive outlook and appreciate the expert advice that you have shared!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
momoftwingles2- I agree that a positive attitude is good.
However- others here complain that this DSR nonsense is impacting their state of well being.
And that's what I am trying to address. There has to be a balance. And, far too many people are putting far to much emphasis on things over which they ultimately have no control. I.E. You can do everything right as a seller- and you will still have no control over your buyer's rating of you!
Message 6 of 45
latest reply

*thesharkmeister*
Community Member
Power selling has it's benefits but I didn't get into EBAY to come up with ulcers. If I lose my Power Selling status, so what, as long as I continue to provide quality product as described and always engage my clients in friendly honest communications I will be successful I believe. To anyone who is full of Angst due to EBAY changes need to give yourself a shake and consider "how important is it anyway"...have fun communicate in high positive spirits with your clients and sleep well.

A note to EBAY stop messing with your sellers or you will be inviting competition big time...everyone chill...it's a good thing...Mike
......*THESHARKMEISTER.......
Message 7 of 45
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
lina-mallows

I was not talking about any extraordinary effort at all, to clarify my position. Read my text again, you will see that exactly as I said, it's no big deal. Confirmation email, prompt service, include a business card that will do the job for you... In fact, I just like to offer what I would like to receive, just a positive attitude - AKA I am not crazy and would never waste my time here, we are all here to make money with the minimal effort! It's just about acting with professionalism (Remember when YOU are the customer, it's these little things that counts the most)...
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
purse_of_the_legionary- even though we sell on eBay, most often I am the customer.
What is little, or no effort to some, is a big deal to others.
I am lazy- I admit it. And I will absolutely be RAISING our shipping fees- and offering slower service. I don't take what eBay suggests seriously. And, after being on eBay so long, with our track record being what it is, I don't think we have made too many missteps.
We don't send endless e-mails about when the item was shipped. No confirmation- no follow up.
We simply acknowledge that the payment was received.
We don't ask for feedback (not mentioned here- though some sellers follow up asking about delivery)
We don't enclose business cards.
We go to the Post twice a week when convenient- soon to be ONCE a week- and considering we sold 133 items last month- so we have some volume.

So, with all the lesser effort we put into our business than you do, our DSR's are not that dissimilar.
We have a positive attitude. It's just a little more related to the things that we do have little impact on what our customers think. Our feedback, and DSR's, look OK to us.
So- why change anything at our end?
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
Thanks for the information.

I have my 20% this month with the new system

Have not changed my price or shipping time as I ship from the US.

Fitz
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Ha ha ha ha. Oh, my. *wipes tears from eyes*

Your obviously new to eBay and possibly young in life. I'm not old (I'm 34), but I'm not young, either. I've run a real business with a storefront as well as in the basement.

You can go to all of that effort if you'd like, Eric. But ask yourself "why?". Just to get some DSRs up to cater to a company that really doesn't care about you? What do you get out of it? Pride & satisfaction absolutely. Monetary gain? None! You're wasting your time, your money, and all of your energy on something that really won't do anything in the end "business-wise".

I actually started off on eBay with your attitude. I had a great rating on eBay before the recent 'big changes'. I had a fluctuating 99.9%-99.8% positive feedback and legions of returning customers. Look at my rating -- almost 9000 items sold. You're getting close... only 8000 more to go.

Now, there's (almost) no point to selling on eBay. Any money I was making (a good living about 5 years ago) has disappeared slowly & surely. My particular product lines and methods of sale have become obsolete on the 'new eBay'. I saw it coming and moved away. Didn't quite get out in time, but I've definitely downsized.

I could do what you suggest, but I would be earning maybe $2.00 per hour of work, and in a lot of cases even losing money.

Thank you for your suggestions, though.

One more thing, saying things like this:
"Do these 5 things, nothing less, and your DSR will rise. Otherwise, that is laziness and you don't deserve 15% discount."

That's a bit naive and holier-than-thou. I've been accused of many things in my life, but never laziness.

You're right -- I don't 'deserve' the 15% discount that Mr. eBay has so graciously offered if I bend over backwards for unforgiving buyers. I'd much rather save my $100 instead of earning back $15. But that's just me and my silly financial mind. 😛

Have fun with the new eBay. I hope you don't get too burned out too quickly and end up broke.

John
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Hi Eric.

I quickly looked at your listings. They are very professional and look very good. I do not get the impression you are 'young' as I previously implied... the subjects you sell seem mature (arrow heads, etc.)

I think you have a good niche on eBay. You probably do not have a huge amount of competition and your buyers are most likely more mature in nature and less likely to give a negative or neutral over something petty (unlike many of the buyers of *my* items).

Good luck with this. I wish you all the best. Just do not apply your particular demographic & methods of selling YOUR items to what the rest of us do. Thank you.

John
Message 12 of 45
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
vesivus

John, I'm 34 too 😉 and I've been a Powerseller for almost two years now, even silver Powerseller since a few months. I also have another eBay account - I am an illustrator and also sell my artwork on eBay - and I am bronze Powerseller with that other account, with 5.0 DSR everywhere (with 20% discount). In real life, I am a busy computer graphic expert / web designer / 2D-3D animator (freelancer).

With my personal business experience, I think I know how to get my customers satisfied, READ -> I'm far from naive.

You are right about the kind of items I sell, I think I have the best method to sell these to collector. I don't want to patronize other Powerseller with my method, I just thought I could help other Powerseller who have a hard time trying to increase DSR with some tips of mine.

Good luck to you too!

Eric
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Eric

Don't let the party poopers rain on your parade. With your attitude I'm sure you will and have done very well on ebay and elsewhere.

If I wasn't old, tired and lazy I'd be doing everything you suggest. All I can muster the enthusiasm for is #5 but it's a biggie!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 14 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
purse_of_the_legionary- While being enthusiastic- and maintaining a positive attitude is wonderful- I am at a loss to understand what the fuss is about.
I admit to being lazy- and I can't see wasting my time doing most of the things that you do- no extra e-mails to send, no business cards to be printed, we don't ship within 24 hours.
And, at the end of the day- we've sold 465 items over the past year- to your 640.
Based on the feedback- and DSR's we have both received- the only number you have that's higher is your DSR shipping time (4.9 to our 4.8)- and that's only by 1/10 of one point.

So- at the end of the day- with my being lazy, and not really giving a damn about when the item gets in the mail- we have higher scores across the board- except for the DSR shipping time.

Based on this one single fact- YOUR HIGHER DSR for shipping time- and OUR BUSINESS model-
Be lazy-
NO EXTRA e-mails sent
DO NOT confirm shipping
DO NOT enclose a business card
No default comments for customers feedback
Start all response to questions with "Hi," and go from there.
(And yes- I will admit to having been rude- and downright nasty at times in my response. Being a professional does not been being an idiot accepting of everything that comes your way. There are lines that should not be crossed- and when they are- you will know it!)

So- with all of our (read as my) almost total lack of concern about our customers, if others followed our business model- and were totally lazy- BUT- they GOT THE MAIL OUT ON TIME- would they be the most absolute stellar sellers on eBay?

YOUR BUSINESS MODEL- DO ALL the right things- and get amzing ratings.
OUR BUSINESS MODEL- Do almost nothing- and get higher ratings in everything but one area- shipping!

Does anyone see the irony here?
Message 15 of 45
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I have added the following paragraph to our present BUY IT NOW auctions, and those scheduled for the future:

"Our goal has always been SAFE delivery of your items, and not speed.
We appreciate the feedback from the thousands of our happy customers.
There are many fine sellers on eBay who offer similar products.
HOWEVER, IF TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE- AND YOU EXPECT NEAR IMMEDIATE DELIVERY-
PLEASE SHOP ELSEWHERE!
We do not just drop your items in an envelope, and mail them!"

I will not give in to eBay tyranny!
Message 16 of 45
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
lina-mallows

I think - and many others here will think the same - that you are very lucky so far and you don't realize the eventual impact of these new and still very recent feedback system changes on your business...

By the way, I just looked at your items... Small, low cost, thin items. You can ship with lettermail, which is not expensive and very fast. I can't, I have to use expensive, insured and not very fast services at Canada Post, I have to compensate by providing an outstanding service to my customers. We really are not living in the same world, as you can see...

You can think what you want, my DSR is getting better and better since I do these things.

Anyway, to be frank, I am a perfectionist and I like my job here. I am very happy to do these extra little things for my buyers, and I know they appreciate it and they come back because they appreciate all this (read my feedback comments, many talk about the service they received more than the items).

Buyers are those who allow me to make a living working peacefully at home, with no stress, so they deserve top service.

Eric
Message 17 of 45
latest reply

Eric, a note of "Thank You" for the effort and trouble in posting this very useful post. As a perfectionist like yourself i constantly look at how we can provide better service but often not getting a clear minded as we try to catch up with workload. I had many of the same ideas that you have which i have observed from others but have not had a chance to carry them out all, now there's no excuse.
Message 18 of 45
latest reply

As a low volume/higher ticket item seller, a single 3 or perhaps 2 4's in a month can make a huge difference, on many different levels. Yet, I have managed to grasp the "Holy Grail" FVF discounts each month. Shipping larger items (30-50 lbs), mostly to the USA also puts me at a disadvantage as it cost me about the same to ship from Toronto to Buffalo as it does for my "competition" to ship from Buffalo to Los Angeles. But I must be doing something right. Providing a "service", vis a vis being a widget, as described, with friendly and time efficient communications and shipping within one business day of a cleared payment. Yet my ship charges to my buyers are higher than what others may charge however, my Shipping & Handling DSR still manages to be more than respectable. I am of the firm belief that, if you give your customer exceptional service in the other 3 categories, most buyers will automatically click on the 5, signifying that all is well. Period. Hey, its do-able

Photobucket

Message 19 of 45
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Way to go snoopwiz!!!!!

And, Eric! I echo your sentiments! Keep doing what you are doing and eBay will be stress free for you and for most...including me!

Have a great week!
Susan
momoftwingels2
Message 20 of 45
latest reply