Check your ebay Message Center before answering questions

alero0
Community Member
Just received an email that really looked authentic. Here it is:
Reply-To : UseTheYellowButton@e-bay.com
Sent : September 3, 2007 6:01:10 PM
To : harvk@hotmail.com
Subject : Question for item #260154838935 - MACKIE SA1232 Deluxe Speaker Slip Covers (PAIR)

| | Trash Can | Inbox

eBay sent this message to alero0.
Your registered username is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will not reach the eBay member. Use the Respond Now button below to respond to this message.

Question from neartherocks
neartherocks( 202)
Positive feedback: 100%
Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: MACKIE SA1232 Deluxe Speaker Slip Covers (PAIR) (260154838935)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
neartherocks is a potential buyer.

Hi,

This is exactly what I`m looking for. I have all the necessary funds available. How would you like to be paid? I`m hidding my email for privacy, you can reply using the yellow button. I`m looking to close a deal soon, so a quick reply will be welcomed. Looking forward to hear from you...

Regards,
Mike Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Thank you,
eBay

Details for item number: 260154838935
Item title: MACKIE SA1232 Deluxe Speaker Slip Covers (PAIR)
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260154838935&s! spagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

The user neartherocks exists on ebay. The item listed was my actual item that was listed at the time that I received the email. The item number was right. The URL link was wrong but I didn't notice it until after. The thing that caused my suspicion was the way this person was directing my to push the Yellow Button. I checked my Message center and it wasn't there. Sent it to spoof@ebay and as I suspected it was a spoof. Most of the spoof mail I receive concerning ebay matters or listings have nothing to do with the product that I sell. This one used my listing and item number. I almost pushed the yellow button but that little voice inside my head said stop.
Just a reminder to you all. Even if it looks real, check to see if it's in your Message Center

Harvey
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The otherway you could have noticed that is was a SPOOF was in the message where they ask HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE PAID not to mention the sentence "I HAVE ALL THE NECESSARY FUNDS AVAILABLE".

Comeon what normal person talks like that note to mention write like that.

This is a real amateur SPOOF mail with alot of easy to spot signs that it is a fake.

TIM @ FTL
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Please don't ever post links like that on the boards. Some people don't know any better and will click on it. It sounds like you clicked on the link. Do a scan on your computer for virus and spywares. Some of them are known to have keyloggers.

Very first sign was that your email program seems to have identified it as spam by putting it in your Trash bin. Second your name is Harvey not Alero0. When eBay really sends messages they send them addressed to Joe Blow not User ID. 😞 Even if your email program didn't identify it as spam, that would have done it for me. Delete.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply