China seller shipped wrong quantity, what should I do?

I purchased a Buy it Now item from China, the Listing had a drop down box to select different size lots, i.e. 10 or 25 or 50 ....

I selected the 25 piece lot, but when the parcel arrived, there were only 11 pieces in the package.

I email the seller, tell him the problem and ask if he will send me the missing 14 pieces.

The seller replies that he wants me to send him a photo of the package, so I comply, and send him a photo of both the envelope and the contents, again I ask if he will send the missing 14 pieces.

The seller replies and asks what I want him to do (I have already told him twice), I reply to the seller saying please send me the missing 14 pieces (and I also let him know that in 15 years I have never left a negative feedback).

He replies again saying "Don't leave negative feedback there, it was the mistake of my colleague who selected the  wrong packet for shipping" and still no mention of him sending the missing pieces.

I send him another email asking if he will be sending the missing 14 pieces, then the sellers stops responding.

For a measly 6 dollars, I don't want to work with this seller anymore.

ebay doesn't help either with the 60 day feedback limitation, even if the seller sends the missing 14 pieces, I doubt that I will receive them before the 60 day period has expired.

Any suggestions other than leaving negative feedback? ( I don't want to let the seller off the hook scott free , and would like to warn other buyers).

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: China seller shipped wrong quantity, what should I do?

You may have already negated there option of leaving negative feedback by mentioning the word 'feedback' in your communication with him. Right now, what you should do is open a Significantly Not As Described case with the Resolution Centre. Indicate in it that you received the incorrect quantity (too few) and await further instructions from ebay about it. Do this today. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It seems that the only option I have in the Resolution center is to "Request a Return", but this is absurd, there is no reason to return the item, I just want the seller to send me the missing pieces.

It is much too expensive to return a $6.00 item to China from Canada, it will cost more than $6.00.

So am I hooped here?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@zentraforce wrote:

It seems that the only option I have in the Resolution center is to "Request a Return", but this is absurd, there is no reason to return the item, I just want the seller to send me the missing pieces.

It is much too expensive to return a $6.00 item to China from Canada, it will cost more than $6.00.

So am I hooped here?

It is silly that the only option for when an item is not as described is to return it but if the seller accepts a return they are supposed to pay for return shipping which with delivery confirmation will be $50+. Even if they wanted to pay for the shipping though, they have no way for them to print a Canada Post label so they need to either pay for for the shipping ahead of time or you can ask ebay to step in explaining that the seller won't pay return shipping. If there is no place to explain why you want ebay to step in, you might have to phone as well. I suppose it would be easier just to forget about it but that just means the next time the seller goofs up, they will handle things the same way.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Stop communicating and open an Item Not As Described dispute.

The seller is trying to make the deadline time out.

Do NOT accept an offer of a replacement. This will never arrive.

Ask for a full refund with no return needed. Accept a partial refund.

This might be best through Paypal rather than eBay. Not only is the deadline longer (180 days) but I believe PP does not require proof of delivery for your return, only proof of shipping.

Since proof of delivery can cost $40 or more overseas, this is well worth while.

If I am wrong, and I often am, someone will set us right.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page hidden under Tools.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

A further thought.

You have 11 (useable?) items at a cost of $6.

I spent more than that at the coffee shop today, so perhaps your best bet is to leave negative feedback and one star Detailed Seller Ratings.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Shortshipped by over1/2. No replacement no refund" for example.

A normal transaction should get 5 stars. The lowest Detailed Seller Rating is ONE STAR. No stars is a free pass.

DSRs have more effect on a seller's account than feedback.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

DSR's haven't affected a seller's account since they brought in the defect system.

An unresolved case would affect their account.

It is a bit of hassle to go through it but it bothers me when a seller take advantage of a buyer because they assume the buyer will not want to send the items back to China.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply