Chinese Auction ?

Is it possible to run a chinese auction and if not, what would the alternative be for a charity auction ?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Chinese Auction ?

kingoftradeonline
Community Member
whats a chinese auction?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

A chineese auction is where you pay the difference between your bid and the previous bid , so that 100 people could incrementally bid 50 cents for a total of $50.oo, the last bidder being the winner.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

interesting.....but that would not work well.....
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
I thought we were talking about the Chinese market here... Does anybody knows why there is no Chinese customer on eBay (I shipped to practically everywhere in the world, but never to China) ? Is eBay banished in China ? Billions of new customers, hehe, that would be amazing busine$$ ! B-)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

power_batteries
Community Member
Most of the stuff found on ebay probably comes from China! Why buy from overseas and pay all that international shipping when you can buy from Chinese/HK sellers and possibly receive same or next day? 😉

C.G.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

power_batteries
Community Member
ampurtle, don't think you could run one on ebay, but you could probably hold one somewhere in your community. You probably need to check to see what your local and provincial regulations are regarding charity fundraising events though (especially where gambling/gaming may be involved). Most Chinese auctions I've heard of are run as more of a raffle than anything else. (So many different ways they can be done.)

If you list and sell items on ebay, nothing is stopping you from giving the proceeds to a charitable organization.

Good luck!

C.G.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

duujogl
Community Member
"I thought we were talking about the Chinese market here... Does anybody knows why there is no Chinese customer on eBay (I shipped to practically everywhere in the world, but never to China) ? Is eBay banished in China ? Billions of new customers, hehe, that would be amazing busine$$ ! B-)"

I've had a few Chinese buyers for vintage postcards - mostly Hong Kong or Singapore, but a few from mainland China as well, so no, they're not banned! It was sure a shock when i saw the buyer's name and address all in Chinese characters - I wasn't sure I could print them on an address label but when the paypal payment arrived it included the name and address in Western letters.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
@power_batteries My items are not from China at all, that's why I would be highly interested to see more of them on eBay.

@duujogl Strange that we don't see more of them on eBay...
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Chinese Auction ?

Ontario has fairly liberal laws related to fund raising for NGOs and/or Charity auctions. All that is really required is that the winners be published and the amounts reported. The chinese auction I was attempting to describe doesn't fall under the gaming and or gambling laws.

In previous years, I just did a dutch auction, but that means the winner is paying the whole amount and seeing as it's a charity auction, the chinese format makes more sense in these times of economic uncertainty.

I do one in Feb/Mar, so I have time to figure something out.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply