Clothing Brand Sizing Inconsistencies

I have an issue with the sizing inconsistencies that many brands have. A pair of jeans would say 32x32 but when you actually measure them, you sometimes get the sizing either smaller or larger than it's advertised. My question is which of the measurements should I put into my title? The measurement on the clothing? or should I put the actual measurements that I took? It would seem that no matter which option I choose there is a potential downfall. If I list it as 32x32 but it's actually 34x32 then I'll most likely get a return or a negative feedback.

What I normally do is use the measurements the manufacturer states, then in my description I will list the "actual measurements". Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on dealing with this sort of issue.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello again, 'bigt...', 

As you seem to know, manufacturers' sizes are largely meaningless.  I suspect the jeans indicating 32x32 was the garment size when the pants were first made.  One trip round the washing machine and there goes that.  

I would suggest putting the actual waist and leg measurements in the title.  Then, in the body of the listing you can reiterate what the measurements are, - waist, hip, length, inseam, and bottom width (pant leg).  

Some sellers even show the measuring tape up against the garment.  Hmmm, have they found this necessary through experience, I wonder. 

You can add that the size tag says "32x32", pointing out that your measuring tape indicates the different number.  You will want to reinforce the importance of buyers measuring themselves and carefully reading the measurements posted.  

Of course you will always include the name and size, like Store Brand Size XL, or Designer Label Size 2.  If someone routinely buys a particular brand they will know how the garment should fit.  But that is never enough so don't take chances.  

You are right, no matter what you do it seems there is risk of someone being unhappy and it is surprising how many people genuinely do not know their own true measurements and weight.  

If you use lots of accurate measurements this will go a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings.  But if you've got items where the tag says something other than what is really there, what the tag says is secondary.  Who knows, perhaps the wrong tag got sewn in by mistake.  Measurements don't lie, however, so focus on the real thing.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hello again, 'bigt...', 

As you seem to know, manufacturers' sizes are largely meaningless.  I suspect the jeans indicating 32x32 was the garment size when the pants were first made.  One trip round the washing machine and there goes that.  

I would suggest putting the actual waist and leg measurements in the title.  Then, in the body of the listing you can reiterate what the measurements are, - waist, hip, length, inseam, and bottom width (pant leg).  

Some sellers even show the measuring tape up against the garment.  Hmmm, have they found this necessary through experience, I wonder. 

You can add that the size tag says "32x32", pointing out that your measuring tape indicates the different number.  You will want to reinforce the importance of buyers measuring themselves and carefully reading the measurements posted.  

Of course you will always include the name and size, like Store Brand Size XL, or Designer Label Size 2.  If someone routinely buys a particular brand they will know how the garment should fit.  But that is never enough so don't take chances.  

You are right, no matter what you do it seems there is risk of someone being unhappy and it is surprising how many people genuinely do not know their own true measurements and weight.  

If you use lots of accurate measurements this will go a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings.  But if you've got items where the tag says something other than what is really there, what the tag says is secondary.  Who knows, perhaps the wrong tag got sewn in by mistake.  Measurements don't lie, however, so focus on the real thing.

Well, that's my take on it, anyway. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@bigt69694321 wrote:

I have an issue with the sizing inconsistencies that many brands have. A pair of jeans would say 32x32 but when you actually measure them, you sometimes get the sizing either smaller or larger than it's advertised. My question is which of the measurements should I put into my title? The measurement on the clothing? or should I put the actual measurements that I took? It would seem that no matter which option I choose there is a potential downfall. If I list it as 32x32 but it's actually 34x32 then I'll most likely get a return or a negative feedback.

What I normally do is use the measurements the manufacturer states, then in my description I will list the "actual measurements". Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on dealing with this sort of issue.

Thanks!

Myself i have allways bought levi jeans and allway wear a 32x32 always fit right,however i have tried on other brands of the same size and they are allways baggy lol but just thought id give my opinion but no brands seem to be consistant,my self dont think i would sell clothes for that reason,a lot of times i also notice the fit is different from other countries,one would think it should be a universal fit?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Men's clothing is a lot more consistent than women's or children's.

Actually taking a tape measure is the only way to be sure.

And if you are ordering from China, even if they give measurements, go up at least two sizes.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply