Collecting HST; listing on .com

I list exclusively on .com (3100 listings)

I have now met the requirement to collect HST.  I have completed the HST Sales tax table.  How does any of this work if all my listings are on .ca?

Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It should work just fine if you have completed the HST/GST table on eBay.ca

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I've created the table (just now).  But I don't know if it applies to listings automatically, or if I have to apply to listings manually.  I cannot bulk edit on .ca becuase the listings were created on .com.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Using the "revise" function" take a look at one of your eBay.com listings.

Do you see the option somewhere under "Add other details" to add a link (usually a tick mark) to your tax table?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Using the "revise" function" take a look at one of your eBay.com listings.

Do you see the option somewhere under "Add other details" to add a link (usually a tick mark) to your tax table?

Yes - that much I can do using bulk edit.  I understand there is nothing else I have to do on ebay.ca other than create the sales tax table.

Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Once you have bulk edited your eBay.com listings to include the tax table, all you can do is wait until a Canadian buys one of your listings to see if it works properly.

Personally, I avoided the problem by absorbing the GST/HST for all Canadian buyers.

Work the numbers with me.  If 10% of your sales are to Canadian addresses and the average GST/HST is 10% across Canada, then your out-of-pocket cost is only 1% of your sales. 

If you sell $200,000 a year, it costs you $2,000.  Well worth it if it simplifies your bookkeeping, and generates more profitable Canadian sales because a lot of Internet Canadian buyers resent paying taxes when buying online.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Once you have bulk edited your eBay.com listings to include the tax table, all you can do is wait until a Canadian buys one of your listings to see if it works properly.

Personally, I avoided the problem by absorbing the GST/HST for all Canadian buyers.

Work the numbers with me.  If 10% of your sales are to Canadian addresses and the average GST/HST is 10% across Canada, then your out-of-pocket cost is only 1% of your sales. 

If you sell $200,000 a year, it costs you $2,000.  Well worth it if it simplifies your bookkeeping, and generates more profitable Canadian sales because a lot of Internet Canadian buyers resent paying taxes when buying online.

I tend to agree with your analysis as well my Canadian % is as follows:

2015 - 12.3%

2014 - 17.2%

2013 - 16.7%

2012 - 15.8%

2011 - 18.3%

2010 - 18.1%

And for hard sales dollars is $3,000 to $6,000 annually (in USD)

Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I assume that you set it up for gst too?

I put one of your items in my cart and clicked on checkout but it doesn't appear that I was charged gst. (I'm in AB)

Item 221026288533

I didn't actually check out though because I'm really not into Buick bulletins. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I asked eBay Customer Service if eBay.ca sales taxes table affect eBay.com listing when buyers is Canadian. Answer was no, sales tax table only affects items listed in the same site. Then they suggested me I sell in $CAD currency instead on $USD ...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

"Answer was no"

That customer service representative was wrong or did not understand your question.

The correct answer is yes.

Thousands of GST/HST registered Canadian sellers currently list on eBay.com and charge GST/HST based on the Canadian tax table they have on eBay.ca.  That is the point.  The tax table must be on eBay.ca and will calculate tax for Canadian buyers purchasing from your eBay.com listings.

For more information on how to set up a tax table on eBay.ca, please take a look at:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/checkout-tax-table.html

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You have to take cs advice with a grain of salt as they aren't always correct, especially when it comes to specific Canadian issues.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@pierrelebel

Just to make sure that i understand :

You are saying that an item listed on .COM (.com tax table DOES NOT have option for Canadian provinces) will have taxes applied to a Canadian buyers with tax rates on .CA tax table?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

That is correct.

If you have the tax table properly set up on eBay.ca and your listings on eBay.com show the tax table selected, eBay will automatically add the correct rate by province from your eBay.ca tax table to Canadian buyers.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply