Combining individual paid items in one package and tracking numbers

Found something out today that I did not know had changed and can't find anything in writing on Ebay.

If you have a buyer that buys multiple items and pays for them separately, and you ship them all together with tracking, you will now only be allowed to enter the tracking number once.Once you use a tracking number, it can not be used for the other items and can not be delted and reused.

The only way around this is to refund all the payments and reinvoice for all of them together. Meanwhile, Ebay keeps all the percentage shipping fees on all the transactions including the new one, and Paypal keeps all the transaction fees including the new one.

If the buyer buys more again, go through the same process or pay for multiple tracking costs which in Canada is very expensive.

Just another way the seller gets the shaft

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@dutchman48 wrote:

If the buyer buys more again, go through the same process or pay for multiple tracking costs which in Canada is very expensive.

I don't know if this will help, but I'm quoting from the Spring Seller Update (FAQs)  --

"What happens in situations where the buyer orders multiple items from me and I ship everything in one package to save my customer on shipping costs?  How can I get credit for tracking on all those items?

When you combine shipping, upload tracking to each transaction -- simply upload the same tracking number for each item in a multi-item order.  Just be sure to complete your upload within your stated handling time."

I'm wondering if you had a problem because you were beyond your stated handling time?  If not, then I would contact eBay and quote the above text to them. 

We sellers now have to be careful about making full refunds (as you suggest) in such a situation, then re-invoicing in order to combine an order.  Those refunds could show up as defects if not subsequently cancelled -- which cancellations could get pretty messy and unnecessarily complicated for a buyer. 

The only hope I have is that the eBay.ca reps have said a fully U.S.-compatible cart system that will function for multiple/combined purchases is being implemented "soon".  Tomorrow wouldn't be too soon in my opinion!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

" the same tracking number for each item in a multi-item order."

"Multi-item" order.  I understand the term to mean combining all purchases into one "multi-item" order, not shipping several orders, paid individually, into one shipment with one tracking number.

The system is stupid in this regard.  What else is new?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Buyer bought the first book and paid full shipping for this one book.

Buyer immediately bought a second book and paid full shipping for this one book.

Both books were shipped in the same parcel...

The same tracking number was uploaded for both purchases

Perhaps... because I bought postage at a local postal outlet  and not on eBay/Paypal.....

Buyer received refunds of the extra postage paid...  Buyer was happy with the refunds....

and... Two books were sold to the same buyer and shipped in the same parcel...

Entering the same tracking number for different purchases to the same buyer  with both purchases in the same parcel  has not been a problem

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It is not working on .com any more. I spent an hour on the phone with the supervisor. He said it was changed recently. Each paid order must have it's own tracking number. Once in the system, it can't be used again. I tired before calling and got the following error message

The tracking number you entered is already being used for another transaction and cannot be applied for this transaction. Please enter the correct tracking number for this order.

A valid tracking number will allow your buyers to track the status of their order and know when to expect delivery. Plus, it will help protect you if the buyer files an Item Not Received claim.

It may not be that way on .ca but certainly is on .com

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I also don't purchase on line as I use stamps or go to PO if I need tracking. I also imput tracking numbers myself

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

dutchman -- Did you know that you can save 5% to 18% on postage by printing your shipping labels online? The Paypal labels also have the 'correct' address and keeps your bookkeeping a little simpler.

When I use Delivery Confirmation, which is not often since the added cost of the service is higher than any savings I would get, I put the number into the feedback for the customer, where she can access it easily.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi Femme

I save that or more by buying discounted postage.

I am concerned that without uploading the tacking info for all items, If there is a INR, even if upload tracking to feedback, Ebay will say not on Ebay item, no good. I email buyers the tracking number direct.

It is not the issue of no tracking number, it is the issue of not being able to put the same tracking number for more than 1 purchase if all lots are mailed together. It is the 1 payment 1 tracking number that upsets me as Ebay gave no one notice that they were going to do this. I don't send a lot with tracking either due to cost.

The only way around this, and it has to be done beforehand, it to refund all the payments, send a new combined invoice for all the purchases, then package it up to get the tracking number as a lot and 1 parcel, 1 payment, 1 tracking number

Problem with this is Ebay keeps there FVF % on shipping for all refunds and Paypal keeps their 30¢ fee per refunded order. This will start to add up which is of course what Ebay wants. Also, refunding may cause wonderful defects according to Ebay.

Buyers don't care about multiple payments so even if set up properly, which mine are, I can't stop them from making individual payments and Ebay makes it almost impossible to come out ahead and safely with their stupid policies.

What difference does it make if everything is in one payment or multiple payments, the end result is till the buyer gets the product safely which is what Ebay supposedly wants but sometimes I really wonder.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I added the same tracking to two different transactions on May 19...

--------------

Another concern.

Buyer buys three items.... 

Postage is paid for each item.

This makes it three transactions.... each as item plus postage.

Refund all three transactions and one gets three defects....  with no cancellation of each transaction

Submit new invoice to the buyer and get paid....

A full refund is a defect  based on eBay's rules....unless the buyer asks for a refund..... and then cancels the transaction(s)

------------------------------------------

Three transactions all mailed in the same parcel...  all get the same tracking number.......

Message 9 of 9
latest reply