Computer arrived damaged--what do i do now??

big_k_316
Community Member

I just received a computer (shipped from Global Shipping Program via Canada Post)

The case is damaged, & there are broken pieces wedged in the case.

(it was damaged during shipping, because the computer case is broken inside, & wasn't when i bid for it on eBay,)

I payed via PayPal. Who do I contact? Seller, eBay, PayPal, Canada Post, Global (???)

Any help is MUCH appreciated, as this is a birthday present I bought myself, & it's useless!! Woman Sad

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not As Described Dispute.

In the text box, state that it was shipped by the Global Shipping Program.

If they suggest that you contact the seller, let her know about the damage, but it was probably caused because she did not adequately descrribe the computer and its origins. As a result, the GSP minions opened, inspected and repacked it. Badly.

The damage was almost certainly caused by the GSP. Was there a notice that the computer was repacked at their plant? Or was the damage notice from Canada Post (or another Canadian shipper)?

Notifying the seller is basically a courtesy. If she packed it well enough to arrive at the GSP plant safely, she bears no further responsibility.

Normally, you would be refunded in full by the GSP and do not have to return the damaged product.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not As Described Dispute.

In the text box, state that it was shipped by the Global Shipping Program.

If they suggest that you contact the seller, let her know about the damage, but it was probably caused because she did not adequately descrribe the computer and its origins. As a result, the GSP minions opened, inspected and repacked it. Badly.

The damage was almost certainly caused by the GSP. Was there a notice that the computer was repacked at their plant? Or was the damage notice from Canada Post (or another Canadian shipper)?

Notifying the seller is basically a courtesy. If she packed it well enough to arrive at the GSP plant safely, she bears no further responsibility.

Normally, you would be refunded in full by the GSP and do not have to return the damaged product.

Yes to all that. Simply make sure that the seller understands that he/she does not have to get involved. Your refund will come from the GSP operator, not the seller.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The post office said they are not responsible for fragile goods shipped through the mail;

the seller said "that's too bad. try eBay."

& eBay won't reply...So, i'm out $$$ & have a smashed computer sitting here. 😞

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Basically: the post office isn't responsible for fragile goods; seller isn't responsible; eBay is ignoring me. 😞
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I told the seller my computer was damaged, they said "That's too bad; try asking eBay," & nothing happened (?)
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

There was nothing about the GSP, except From: Pitney Bowes; There was no damage to the shipping box. & it was wrapped very well with bubble wrap. But when i undid the bubble wrap, I saw the top of the computer case inside was broken off, & there is a 3" chunk of plastic that is wedged between the screen's frame, & it's wedged really tightly.
There was no info that said it was repacked.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

As already instructed, open a formal claim for item not as described, and mention that the fault is damage in transit and it is a GSP item and you should get a full refund with no need to return the item.

Do this through the ebay resolution center.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Why would you bother with the post office, what did you think they were going to do?  You need to go back and reread the information from others.   There is no point in asking the seller for anything because sellers all think buyers are lying scammers trying to get a freebie. 

You need to go to the RESOLUTION CENTER by clicking on the link on the bottom of the page (its in about the middle), and opening a NOT AS DESCRIBED dispute.  Then, escalate to a CLAIM as soon as you are able.  Show pictures if you can.  File an official claim now saying it was a GSP item.  You will get refunded for a broken item but you have to do it through the proper channels. 

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The post office said they are not responsible for fragile goods shipped through the mail;

the seller said "that's too bad. try eBay."

& eBay won't reply...So, i'm out $$$ & have a smashed computer sitting here. Smiley Sad

Hmm.
It sounds as if the computer was smashed before it went into to box, not that it was repacked.
Very strange.
And if you don't want to follow the repeated advice to go to the eBay Resolution Centre and explain this is a GSP question, go to Paypal and open a Not As Described dispute in their Resolution Centre which is hidden under Tools at the top of your PP account page.
The first suggestion is to contact the seller, but you have already done that so escalate to a Claim.

You will be told to return the computer to the seller with Confirmation of Delivery.
You will not get the Return Shipping back.
And don't count on getting the GSP import fees back either.
We don't have much information about this, since the GSP has been pretty quick about refunding on complaint.
 If PP decides that they are part of your original payment, you might get them all back.
If they decide that because GSP used the money to pay duty and tax, you might not. (Because although we give GSP money to cover those, it is actually GSP who pays them, not us*.)

*First, let's kill all the lawyers.-- William Shakespeare
Message 10 of 10
latest reply