Cross-Border Communications Annoyance

There are a number of unfair policies that eBay really should change, but there's one that particularly annoys me because it hurts my attitude not only towards eBay, but towards Americans in general. Anyone here in Canada, or anywhere outside the US for that matter, who has tried to bid on items in the US or contact the sellers, has probably run into this problem. You notice that the seller "Does not ship to Canada", and you decide to ask them nicely if they'll make an exception for you. In many cases they will, or at least will ship to US address on your behalf. But sometimes you try to contact a US seller and get an error message: "Sorry, the seller is not able to accept your messages at this time". Why doesn't eBay just tell it like it is - the seller has blocked your message because you're outside the USA! Since I'm not registered in the US, I don't know exactly what options sellers have but I must assume there must be one labeled "Block communication from non-US members". It's an apparent double standard, as I've never seen an option to block buyers from outside Canada, nor am I aware of any similar policies elsewhere in the world.

It's so ironic that Americans do things like this and then wonder why the rest of the world hates them. Honestly!

A far better option would be to only allow sellers to block foreign bids / purchases, and only block messages from specific members at a time (for harassing them etc.) And to make it perfectly fair for everyone, people in countries outside the US should be given the same filtering options - not that we'd use them though, since we're so much more dependent on them than they are on us.

I suppose I'm just wasting my time to even talk about it, but maybe if enough people voice their gripe the powers that be will start listening. Not that it's ever happened before of course, but it's still worth a try.....

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Some years ago the default was changed from 'allow' to 'block'. No one was told, so I expect most still don't know the block is there and of course, you cannot tell them.

One workaround is to contact them from a closed listing, since bidding is not involved, blocks on 'bidders' are not activated. This used to work, I have not tried it for some time. No doubt there are other ways of jumping the block.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Some sellers block all questions regardless of where the buyer lives.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Yes they can block all buyer no matter where you live and a way to tell if they re doing so is if the have a Q&A section set up as the seller has to have Q&A set up to allow them to use the block communication setting

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Years ago, you could bid on anything anywhere and even if the seller put in BOLD letters in the auction not to (highly ineffectual as it could be missed or ignored).  So, I can see why eBay set it up this way.  I don't mind it, it's just stuff and I can find other stuff to buy.  If a US seller says they don't ship to Canada I just close the tab and move on.  I don't search those auctions anyway, only those that do ship.  

"Why doesn't eBay just tell it like it is - the seller has blocked your message because you're outside the USA!"

Isn't this what "Sorry, the seller is not able to accept your messages at this time" means? 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

"Why doesn't eBay just tell it like it is - the seller has blocked your message because you're outside the USA!"

Isn't this what "Sorry, the seller is not able to accept your messages at this time" means?

Not necessarily.
As already mentioned, some sellers block all questions. In that situation they are blocking buyers in the US as well.

In other cases a seller may block questions from all blocked buyers. A blocked buyer could be someone from a country that they don't ship to or it could be someone already on the seller's blocked bidders list.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@radioguy79 wrote:

But sometimes you try to contact a US seller and get an error message: "Sorry, the seller is not able to accept your messages at this time". Why doesn't eBay just tell it like it is - the seller has blocked your message because you're outside the USA

Ebay is deathly afraid that telling the truth will hurt their sales so they would rather make general, vague statements, or rephrase it to make it as if it sounds good. Unfortunately many companies are like this now. 

Your chocolate rations have been increased to 20grams 🙂

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Right, I'm not saying it's an omg awesome system they have, just that I can see why they are giving the option to sellers.  And, sometimes buyers feel the "buyer is always right" credo means literally that.  Like we're entitled to our every whim.

I've also had "this seller gets to many darn messages to answer your simple question so sorry you can't send a message" (paraphrasing).  These sellers don't get my business and go on my excluded list.  But, I don't get all huffy about it ,what's the point?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

""Why doesn't eBay just tell it like it is - the seller has blocked your message because you're outside the USA!"
Isn't this what "Sorry, the seller is not able to accept your messages at this time" means?"

No. "not able to accept this time" can mean an awful lot of possibilities, don't you think? My first assumption would have been that there were some kind of technical difficulties, or maybe the seller had really sore fingers. I would have tried later, and then later, and then later again, and got angry. It's dishonest, misleading, wastes people's time, and is inherently wrong.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"got angry."  Well, good luck to the rest of life then if this is that important that it makes you angry. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Just an update - I managed to contact the seller through the Contact Member form, it seems he had simply not thought to offer international shipping and had not intentionally blocked messages from anyone. It looks like eBay automatically blocks such messages when int'l shipping isn't offered, and the seller is unaware they are missing messages - so it is indeed the systems fault and not the seller. A pretty lousy set-up if you ask me.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply