Customer says item hasn't arrived

A customer has been emailing me that the package I sent hasn't arrived yet...He started this only a few days that I sent the item..Now he has sent me very angry messages that the item hasn't arrived and he wants his money back..By looking at his buying history, I'm pretty sure this guy is trying to rip me off..He says he will only wait till this monday or he will take action against me...I don't know what to do; this has never happened to me before...I am 100% certain that this person is trying to rip me off...Any suggestions as what shall I do????

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The only useful action he can take is to start an Item No...

do you have tracking information for the item??

or a copy of the postal receipt you can take a picture of and email to the customer to show it has been sent

make sure you keep copies of all you messages and only communicate through the official ebay channels

buyers and customers are not allowed to use extortion or "threatining action" comments to each other

if the buyer has already done this and you have saved the messages...in my experience you would win any case that might be brought against you

hope this helps

gameshound

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The only useful action he can take is to start an Item Not Received dispute with eBay/Paypal.

Don't panic. Lawsuit threats are completely smoke and mirrors. Only the eBay Dispute should concern you.

You would get a message from eBay notifying you of the Dispute. If you used a tracked/Delivery Confirmed shipping service, give the number in the Dispute. If checking the Canada Post website gives you a delivery date, add that too. This information will either end the dispute in your favour, or give the parcel more days to arrive.

I'm assuming your customer is American. They get angry real easy. It would take at least 10 and possibly 20 days for your item to hit his doorstep.

If you did not buy tracking, make the refund and write it off as a business expense and learning opportunity. As a coin dealer, you will get a lot of these claims if you are using LetterPost/Light Packet. It 's the demographic you are selling into. This will end the transaction and you will not have any black marks on your selling account.

If you do not refund, and cannot prove delivery, PP will refund the buyer and take the money from your PP account. Plus you get a black mark.

Since most of your sales seem to be under $30, perhaps the best bet in future is to use Light Packet and self-insurance. Light Packet because you can give an invoice number to the customer that will reassure an honest buyer that the parcel is on its way, and will discourage a scammer who thinks the number indicates that the parcel is tracked.

Self insurance means only that you add a small amount to every shipping fee as insurance against the occasional claim.

Don't worry. At worst if you refund him you are out the cost of shipping, some eBay fees, and your procurement cost .

Just don't get into an arguement. Right or wrong, you will not win.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The person is from Canada..He sent me another email today saying he wants his money refunded right away or else he will file a claim with Paypal...He says he's going to leave me very nasty feedback...This guy has only bought like 36 things on Ebay, but he's had about 5 times that he said he hasn't received stuff..He leaves extremely nasty feedback for the sellers who don't comply with his demands...I know this guy is scamming me...Only after a few days he was complaining that he hadn't received his parcel....
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

He gave me negative feedback and he filed a claim with Paypal..I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now...I wonder how many people this guy has scammed for refunds...This is a bad buyer. Is there any way I can eliminate that bad feedback? So I guess I will probably lose that money even though I sent him the package...Any suggestions out there?
Message 5 of 5
latest reply