DICTATING SHIPPING BY BUYERS

profsportsfishing
Community Member
IN THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS THERE HAS BEEN THIS PROBLEM. THEY WANTED THERE OWN PRICE SHIPPING OR MAKE CHANGE THE PRODUCT TO GET CHEAPER SHIPPING COST. jUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THIS HAPPENING TO SOME ELSE.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

whoscloset
Community Member
Nope

Monique

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

funkywatch_com
Community Member
Had one cancelled sale in the past month cause of buyer who ultimately decided my shipping costs were "excessive". First complaint for just under 2 000 sales... Not a problem yet...
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

1dealsavers
Community Member
Too bad - buyer do not make any rules at all.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

jenzaka
Community Member
Hi:
I haven't had any problems with buyers complaining about shipping immediately after the sale but I do get the occasional complaint after they receive the item. Recently, I had a buyer complain because she paid $9 shipping for an item and when she got it she noticed that "actual shipping cost" was $6.76. She even used the line: I have not yet left feedback for this item since I thought I would give you the opportunity to fix the situation before I did. Wow!! Guess I should be eternally grateful...lol. I replied that she had paid the exact shipping cost quoted in the auction ad for a Canadian buyer, she just happened to live closer to the orgin location and therefore postage was less. I also explained that when I write the ads I have no advance indication of where the item will eventually be sent; therefore I quote an average cost.
However, I do think that shipping bartering is becoming a very common occurence on E-bay. Many of the sellers that I have contact with have experienced this at least a few times.
Joy

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

alero0
Community Member
There are all kinds of people out there. We just have to determine which ones are the cheap ones and which are just the "garage sale hagglers". I don't mind hagglers because they're just trying to get the cheapest price in a playful way. It's the cheap ones that bug me. They tend to be rude and insulting. They're the ones that you're better off if they don't buy your product because they'll give you a neg. if you don't see things their way.
I have lots of buyers asking me if I would give them a shipping discount if they buy multiple items and I tell them that I would have done that even if they didn't ask.
I've also had many times where a buyer would win multiple listings and pay the full shipping price for each listing before I could contact them with a revised shipping rate. For them I refund the extra funds that they send. I've made many repeat costomers and referals by doing this. After all we are here to make money on our products, not on the shipping. (well most of us)
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I get quite a few, mostly Europeans and it usually goes something like this....

"Your shipping charge is very high, I just bought the same thing from the USA and it cost a lot less".

my answer....

"I am shipping from Canada not the USA, postage costs here are much higher than the USA, almost as high as in your own country!"

That usually shuts them up........

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

dwaxman1
Community Member
I am getting very sick of listening to buyer's complain about shipping costs, they think that postage is the only cost and all the packing material is free! I am also sick of them threatening with the NEG feedback, I actually had one buyer say that of I didn't refund them the extra $1 that I charged, they would leave NEG feedback and destroy my perfect 100% feedback rating, this really needs to stop, I can't stand threats. I always over pack because items I ship are very breakable and I want to avoid breakage but buyers don't understand that, they think everything is free!
just my 2 cents worth!
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Start using Canada Post EST. Take advantage of the 30%+ PowerSeller discount...it doesn't show postage paid on the shipping label.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

dwaxman1
Community Member
THX, i will check it out
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

profsportsfishing
Community Member
well i sent this guy email stating something this. You havent paid me enough shipping for item. So can you get back to me asap.

This is the buyers reply and he was the one that made is own shipping cost
iI HAVE ONE THING TO SAY , SEND THE PRICE OF POSTAGE OR KEEP YOUR ITEMS
Whats wrong with these people. They ultimatly decide there own shipping cost than turn around and send you something this. I was as polite as i can be
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
I had a Canadian just last week who tried to pay me $3 for shipping, and "send me the post office item Number" where I'd clearly indicated what the cost for shipping insured within Canada was. I emailed her that I needed more or I'd have to mail as a letter, then realized she'd claim non-receipt, so i refunded the whole payment with a note about the actual payment. I'd rather not sell/ship than deal with some of these people. Anyway, 3 days later she mailed me the appropriate shipping and I mailed them off. That was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard anything more. I also love the ones who tell me that they "Got a huge pile of books from ON and only paid $5 Shipping. Yeah, right! I tell them they better stick to that other seller then, because i can't offer that price, only what I have to pay!. And Canadians, in my experience, are worse than Americans about the shipping charges. And yers, although it's clearly stated in my auction I do get questions about both why can't I ship for less in Canada and why can't I use Media Mail. I just respond politely and move on! Gloria
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

profsportsfishing
Community Member
i like your business gloria guides probably make good on toys. thanks for the opinon
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

skivversnfld
Community Member
I have had to adjust my setting so that the buyers can not change the shipping amount without going directly to paypal. If I did not send an invoice immediately following the auctions end, the winner was filling in any old amount, or paying in CND funds instead of US funds hoping I would not see the difference.
Just this week once again an ebayer won one of my auctions. Sent $4.21USD to ship a 1kg pkg to the US. I could not get a response from the ebayer , so I refunded the payment entirely, then sent an invoice with the correct shipping amount, not the amount they filled in. It has been 5 days and no response from the buyer. Seems like this is happening more and more often.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply