DISPUTE OPEN AGAINST ME FOR SLOW MAIL!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I felt that it is getting insane that eBay/PayPal allows any buyers to open a dispute against the seller just because the mail service is slow and that they didn't received their items.

I shipped my item to this buyer in less than 2 weeks, my listings (other account) made very clearly that it is normally would take at least 2-6 weeks for mail service from Canada to USA and to be patience.  But no this buyer has NO patience and wanted a refund!

eBay really needs to change on how the way eBay allows the buyers to open the dispute.  All eBay can check into PayPal Shipping (eBay owns PayPal!) and see when I purchased the PayPal Shipping label and can figure out it is way too early to open the dispute.

I think eBay likes the negative ways and allow the buyers do to do that to the sellers.  Time for eBay to change and show that if they really care about the seller and wants to "protect" the sellers, then do it and tell the buyers to "wait" after a certain of time like 30 days or so. 

It is pure hassle that we have to "bow" to eBay's ridiculous policies and demands, and requirements. 

Secondly why does eBay offers us the SpellCheck that is so horrible.  It doesn't even recoginze PayPal and eBay!!  Sheesh!!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

marnotom!
Community Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I felt that it is getting insane that eBay/PayPal allows any buyers to open a dispute against the seller just because the mail service is slow and that they didn't received their items.

I'm not sure I follow you.  eBay and PayPal allow cases and disputes/claims to be filed for items that haven't been received.  If an item hasn't been received, there's no way of knowing for sure if the item has gone AWOL or if it's just been delayed.

I shipped my item to this buyer in less than 2 weeks, my listings (other account) made very clearly that it is normally would take at least 2-6 weeks for mail service from Canada to USA and to be patience.  But no this buyer has NO patience and wanted a refund!

I hope you mean you dispatched the item in fewer than two days.  Fewer than two weeks could be a wide range of time and anything greater than a few days is likely going to irritate a buyer.

I suspect your buyer just saw the part about "six weeks," freaked out and thought they might be looking at a scam (since they only have a little over six weeks to file a case or dispute for non-delivery) and filed the case immediately.

I probably would have simply informed the buyer that I believe that all my past shipments to the United States have arrived (if true) and invited them to contact you if it hasn't shown up in a few weeks.

While I do believe in "underpromise, overdeliver" I don't think stating an upper limit for delivery time that only rarely gets reached in exceptional circumstances is all that helpful.  Or do your shipments to the U.S. regularly take that long to reach their destination?  What mailing method did you use?

I think eBay likes the negative ways and allow the buyers do to do that to the sellers.  Time for eBay to change and show that if they really care about the seller and wants to "protect" the sellers, then do it and tell the buyers to "wait" after a certain of time like 30 days or so. 

How often does this situation happen to you?  Keep in mind that a refund doesn't necessarily mean "game over" for the seller.  Apologize to your buyer and invite them to pay for the item again if and when it arrives and they likely will.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on eBay. Over the past couple of years I've only had a couple of items I ordered disappear. However, when selling items I get impatient or unreasonable buyers making claims on a regular basis. Maybe once every 1 or 2 months and I don't really sell alot. Without fail, paypal throws me under the bus every single time. Since items I order from all over the world arrive over 99% of the time, I find it hard to believe that so many items I've sent have just disappeared. To date I have NEVER EVER had a buyer who'd been refunded contact me and say "Hey guess what. It made it here after all. Here's your money to which you are rightfully entitled. I apologize for my harsh words and impatience." NEVER, EVER, EVER! Oh, I've begged people not to rip me off and told them they have a whole 6 weeks to open a dispute. Why are they opening one after only 2 and why didn't they contact me first? I've contacted them and said "Surely it must have arrived by now. Please pay me the money you owe." The result is always silence. Invite them to pay again??? What planet are you from?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@alcore2011 wrote:

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on eBay. Over the past couple of years I've only had a couple of items I ordered disappear. However, when selling items I get impatient or unreasonable buyers making claims on a regular basis. Maybe once every 1 or 2 months and I don't really sell alot. Without fail, paypal throws me under the bus every single time. Since items I order from all over the world arrive over 99% of the time, I find it hard to believe that so many items I've sent have just disappeared. To date I have NEVER EVER had a buyer who'd been refunded contact me and say "Hey guess what. It made it here after all. Here's your money to which you are rightfully entitled. I apologize for my harsh words and impatience." NEVER, EVER, EVER! Oh, I've begged people not to rip me off and told them they have a whole 6 weeks to open a dispute. Why are they opening one after only 2 and why didn't they contact me first? I've contacted them and said "Surely it must have arrived by now. Please pay me the money you owe." The result is always silence. Invite them to pay again??? What planet are you from?

Your buyers are likely seeing the part in your listings about items taking two weeks to reach the United States and taking you at your word.  Keep in mind that the type of merchandise you sell is likely attracting the Sheldon Coopers of this world who take things pretty literally and lack some degree of diplomacy, to boot.

From how I'm reading your post, you've never tried just giving your buyer a refund and instructing/reminding them to pay for the item if/when it arrives.  If you do it at the same time you get the refund, it sends the message, "This seller trusts me to do the right thing.  Perhaps I've misjudged this seller and I should repay this trust."  Requesting payment weeks after the refund doesn't send this message and doesn't work so well.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This buyer closed the dispute the next day after he received his item and he apogolized over and over and over and was very embarrassed for opening it in the first place.  He thought it is from USA to USA, apparently he never read the listings fully.  Nothing new.  Sigh.

From my past experiences like about 100+ in 5 years, I have refunded them and never get that refunds back, so I knew anyone who claimed that they didn't received are too often scammers.  I no longer can rely on them to really be honest and would refund.  I even contacted them asking if they have received after 60 days which is very ample time for them to received their items but no luck.  So I do get upset when I get any disputes from my buyers claiming not receiving when it is way too early to open them.  It is like shoplifting!  That was before Canada Post removed the insurance from small packet air.  All of them are International countries making me wonder if they are really scammers or what or taking advantage of Canadian buyers or what?

One buyer in Brazil begged me to write less amount  for the value and use "gift" on his package which I was foolish and did that and guess what he filed a dispute against me for not receiving and in the process, I am out of the item, $$$ plus cannot claim the full value with Canada Post!!  It was the last time I did that since then.  I even reminded him about that and he doesn't care.  Later I found out he was doing the same with the other sellers and now is no longer registered on eBay.  It is clearly that he was a scammer and good riddance that he no longer is on eBay.

It seems that there is no full protection for seller in this area at any time.  Never mind if we should pay for tracking which is insane as what Canada Post is charging us for tracking number!!  And what is worse is that Canada Post removed the insurance from the small package air and offer the tracked packet which is way too expensive.  Of course I have good reasons to get upset because now I no longer can file with Canada Post this year since they removed the insurance for that mail service.

I hope that I am not getting more scammers the upcoming months/years.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Why is your ID registered in the United States?  Is your selling ID registered in the United States as well?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

That was before Canada Post removed the insurance from small packet air.  All of them are International countries making me wonder if they are really scammers or what or taking advantage of Canadian buyers or what?

There are two possiblities.

One is that the item really has not arrived.Are you using Air Mail? There is no reason to use anything but Air Mail (which normally arrives well within the 45 day Dispute deadline) since the higher cost is paid by the buyer, not by the seller. And if he wants it and can't find it elsewhere, you have it and your price includes the cost of Air Mail shipping.

Some sales are not worth having. Dealing with a customer who is unwilling to pay for reasonable service is one reason for refusing a sale.

The other is that you are dealing with a scammer. Have you set your Seller Preferences to Block bidders who have UID Strikes? Who do not have active Paypal accounts? These are reasonable defensive moves.

Since you do not want to pay for tracking (and I agree, it is too expensive for most shipments), are you including a small premium in your Handling costs as self-insurance against the occasional loss? A dime would handle most seller's needs. I have been in mail order for over 25 years selling everything from stamps to woodstoves, and very little is actually lost or damaged by the postal system.*

Or look into third party insurance. We use a company called Hugh Wood International, who specialize in insuring dealers and owners of collectibles. They have offices in Toronto and if you are a full-time dealer or a substantive collector, look into their annual contracts. They will even cover your stock while you are travelling to a show.

If you only want occasional coverage, I have heard good things about shipinsurance from other posters. They do one-off insurance at reasonable rates.

And for what it's worth, telling your buyer, perhaps in FB, when the item was shipped and the invoice number from the PP shipping label is very comforting to the honest, nervous buyer. The number may even confuse the scammer into thinking that the parcel is, in fact, trackable, although the number does no such duty.

*And most damage in transit is caused by the shipper's poor packaging.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"The other is that you are dealing with a scammer. Have you set your Seller Preferences to Block bidders who have UID Strikes? Who do not have active Paypal accounts?"

I understand the reasoning for both UID and active paypal account holders, but that would also negate someone like myself.

I deleted my paypal account years ago, and now use my CC to make one time paypal payments. But from a seller standpoint, I guess I understand. You are minimizing your vulnerability by doing it that way, and that can make a big difference.

Cuppa Joe!

Rick
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity" - Frank Leahy
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you run into a Block like that, you can (often) contact the seller and ask for it to be lifted for you. Many would agree after noting your long eBay experience. And maybe taking a look at Toolhaus.com. Woman Wink

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If you run into a Block like that, you can (often) contact the seller and ask for it to be lifted for you. Many would agree after noting your long eBay experience. And maybe taking a look at Toolhaus.com. Woman Wink

Correct site is toolhaus.org for checking an eBay id feedback.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply