Dear Ebay, Don't integrate 3rd part shipping solutions if they don't protect sellers.

asdpmc
Community Member

Mistake Number 1

Sold item to Bolivia

Mistake number 2

Am Canadian.

Mistake number 3

Not part of global shipping program

Mistake Number 4

Clicked on 'Print shipping label' which took me to Paypal shipping options.

Mistake Number 5

Didn't realize that even though Ebay directed me to print a shipping label on the paypal website, that depending on location and service provided, there is no warning that there is any tracking number provided and therefore shipping protection for me as a seller.

EBAY If you're going to transfer me to a third party website to purchase shipping, IT"S YOUR OBLIGATION TO TELL ME THAT I'M BEING REDIRECTED TO A 3RD PARTY WEBSITE THAT YOU FUNNELED ME INTO, BUT YOU ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRANSACTIONS INVOLVED.

Chop the paypal shipping integration.  It is deceptive if you're not going to guarantee that part of the transaction

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Dear Ebay, Don't integrate 3rd part shipping solutions if they don't protect sellers.

xeposter
Community Member

@pmchu52 wrote:

Mistake Number 1

Sold item to Bolivia

Mistake number 2

Am Canadian.

Mistake number 3

Not part of global shipping program

Mistake Number 4

Clicked on 'Print shipping label' which took me to Paypal shipping options.

Mistake Number 5

Didn't realize that even though Ebay directed me to print a shipping label on the paypal website, that depending on location and service provided, there is no warning that there is any tracking number provided and therefore shipping protection for me as a seller.

EBAY If you're going to transfer me to a third party website to purchase shipping, IT"S YOUR OBLIGATION TO TELL ME THAT I'M BEING REDIRECTED TO A 3RD PARTY WEBSITE THAT YOU FUNNELED ME INTO, BUT YOU ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRANSACTIONS INVOLVED.

Chop the paypal shipping integration.  It is deceptive if you're not going to guarantee that part of the transaction

Hello. You see to be thinking that you are talking to "eBay." This is the public community. You can contact eBay by phone here: http://ocsnext.ebay.ca/ocs/cuhome?from_ocs=1.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I already talked to them for an hour.

This is mostly a vent.

I'll be out $100 because of not reading the fine, fine print.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@pmchu52 wrote:

Whether you buy you shipping through a Canada Post retail outlet/post office or via paypal, you are getting the same shipping options. As a seller it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with those services and the features they include.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Re:  Mistake number 3:  Canada does not have a Global Shipping Program.

Re:  Mistake Number 4:  Exactly - PayPal shipping options - meaning you get to select the option you want.  Directly below "service Type" is this link:  Learn about delivery standards

which takes you here:  https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/canada-post-shipping#Service-Type

(can't get this link to work here, probably because it is a redirect within a redirect),  which gives you lots of detailed information about each shipping service.

If you want tracking, you have to buy a shipping service with tracking.  All your listings have "letterpost" as the shipping service.  It may be worth your while to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the services Canada Post offers and their prices.

You were not "funneled" into the PayPal site.  You had to sign in to your PayPal account in order to buy the shipping label.  By signing in, you are responsible for what you do on the site.

You need to refine your shipping options and decide what countries you are willing to ship to, and which items require tracking, then set up both your shipping options and your excluded locations.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Unfortunately, you have learned the hard way with this that Small Packets Airmail is an untraced service and that Paypal Seller Protection covers only Proof of Delivery and not Proof of Shipment. For the record, when shipping overseas, you need to select Tracked Packet if you want complete Seller Protection coverage. It has a limit of $100 liability so if necessary, top it up with a third-party insurance company like u-pic or shipinsure. (I've used the former but not the latter.) Some countries, however, as destinations are NOT insurable. It is worth your while to find out which ones those are (for good reason, we must suppose) and block them from your ship-to locations.

If you list with ebay Canada and use Calculated Shipping with Canada Post, you can get Tracked packet service to:

Austria
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Croatia
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Hong Kong
Hungary
Italy
Ireland
Iceland
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Malta
Netherlands
New Zealand
Poland
Portugal
Singapore
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom
USA

Aside from the USA, it starts about about $35 CAD for postage. Depending on the destination and 'region' designation.  

U-pic is here http://delta.u-pic.com/BuyOnline.aspx and it offers insurance for the following destinations:

Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belgium
Bermuda
Chile
China
Costa Rica
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
England
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Ghana
Great Britain
Greenland
Guatemala
Guyana
Holland
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Luxembourg
Mauritius
Mexico
Morocco
Namibia
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Samoa
Scotland
Singapore
Slovakia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
United Kingdom
Venezuela
Wales

If you item is worth mor than $750 USD (I think) you need to ship with Xpresspost or an even higher level of service because you need not only Proof of Delivery but also Signature on Delivery which is not available with Tracked Packet.

Shipping can be the most perilous part of selling online. And, not to rub salt on an open wound, but I would suggest Bolivia is too risky a place to sell to. It doesn't look like u-pic offers insurance to it. Which can only mean they know from experience it is too risky a venture. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Shipping can be the most perilous part of selling online. And, not to rub salt on an open wound, but I would suggest Bolivia is too risky a place to sell to. It doesn't look like u-pic offers insurance to it. Which can only mean they know from experience it is too risky a venture. 

You hit it right on the head. You always hear about sellers selling stuff to very risky countries. Your rolling the dice.There are a lot of countries I would exclude from your shipping list. You will need to do your homework to which countries you can trust and those you should stay away from. I have my list but, thats my opinion to the countries I ship to.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Success on eBay... in many ways.... is knowing .....what NOT to do

Message 8 of 8
latest reply