December 16th 2015 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the last Weekly Session of 2015! As usual I'll be here for most of the day. 

Here are the issues I am currently tracking:

• Shipping Discounts not shown to buyers outside of Canada (merritt-motorcycle-salvage)
  • Missing Tracked Packet International destinations on Calculated Shipping: Austria, Brazil, Italy and South Korea (mjwl2006)
  • UPC codes suddenly not recognized on live listings (mjwl2006)

And the issues for which I have had news:

• Gallery pictures missing from live listings (jt-libra) - View Item page team is looking into this
  • SYI form stripping weight value when switching currency - Expecting a fix in January
  • Shipping FVF discrepancies on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48) - The Pricing team is looking into this.
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Hi Raphael, 

Could you please add to your list above the issue I mentioned last week, i.e. SYI form not stripping out the numerical value for an item price (and shipping cost) when "Sell Similar" results in the default from $US to $Cdn currency?  

Unless of course it's already been dealt with...Woman Wink

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

Could you please add to your list above the issue I mentioned last week, i.e. SYI form not stripping out the numerical value for an item price (and shipping cost) when "Sell Similar" results in the default from $US to $Cdn currency?  

Unless of course it's already been dealt with...Woman Wink

Hi rose-dee,

I can't add this to a list of issues because it is not a bug. With that said I promise you it won't get forgotten as like I said last week, there is a work ticket open to address this. We will change the way this works in early January.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Raphael

There is still an issue with sold items going into unsold instead of sold and getting relisted with product not available.

If sold, we have to cancel and refund, great for business

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Hello Raphael,

The two GSP threads which are tacked at the top of Buyer Central should be locked to new posts, or somehow fixed.

The most recent posts are inaccessible, which means that questions can't be answered and neither can comments.

Can something be done?  The eBayers who post questions expect answers that no one can now give them.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I have a question I've been wanting to ask for weeks, if not months now, but have hesitated.  Although it may seem like a rhetorical question, it isn't.  Since it's now nearing the end of 2015, I'd like to ask it anyway (after a short preamble). 

I've been selling on eBay for over 7 years, mostly very successfully (based on my own definition and requirements).  There have been ups and downs, but overall I've maintained both Global and US TRS, 100% positive FB, no defects (ever), and almost always 5.0 DSRs (some US buyers occasionally object to shipping time or cost, even though I "subsidize" my shipping rates and get my items out mostly the same day they are purchased).  

I offer subsidized (or free shipping) on most items, have listed more items (with more variety) this year than ever, make full and extensive use of gallery photos, titles, item specifics, categories, markdowns, promotions, have not raised my prices in 4 years, and still include descriptions in my listings (for those who use PCs).  

With all that, the number of sales has steadily and dramatically dropped over 2015.  Many of the items I sell are unique and have traditionally been in demand.  This month I've lost my US TRS (due to low transaction levels), and for the first time in all the years I've sold on eBay, I will probably not make enough to cover my expenses in December.  Granted, December is usually a slower month, but I've had only one small sale so far, and just a handful in November.  

So my questions are: 

1)  What more can I do that I haven't already done?  (I should mention that my "experiment" in listing on .com has made no difference whatsoever, nor did offering free shipping domestically across the board for all smaller items for many months). 

2)  Why is this happening?  Any ideas or theories?  Are my "type" of buyers gone?

I'm really at my wits' end, and I'm not asking these things frivolously.  My future on eBay is in real doubt at this point. 

Thank you Raphael. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Raphael

There is still an issue with sold items going into unsold instead of sold and getting relisted with product not available.

Hello dutchman,

As always, I need item numbers so I can look into this. Can you provide some examples?

Thanks.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

One more query for today: 

Whatever happened to the replacement for the old Omniture system?  We were told it was going to be a matter of a few months.  That was 6 months ago.  

Will statistical data be incorporated in the new Seller Hub, or it is planned for elsewhere?  Any ETA?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, and before I forget -- a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the rest of the .ca staff! Woman Very Happy

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Happy Holidays to you. I am swamped with orders so, for once, I'm not here to pester you with my troubles. See you next year! 

Maureen 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Pretty well ditto on rose-dee comment. I list fixed price have started free shipping and do best offer, still every month declining. What has greatly increased is emails after the fixed price listing ends .... Sorry I missed your listing (some are 30 days but they can email hours after the ending) this is what I will pay, when will you be relisting it for me. I had one yesterday, telling me how much they would pay, in what currency, how much they would pay in shipping and when they expect it at their door step and they hope that I will be relisting it in a few hours ..... all this demanding and I still own it. ( delete, BBL)

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Good morning.

Two quick questions today:

Are you guys and gals at Head Office on King Street in Toronto planning a Christmas party?

Are we invited? Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Raphael

Hello dutchman,

As always, I need item numbers so I can look into this. Can you provide some examples?

Thanks.

Item # 391325139267 - Sold Dec15, 2015 and cancelled do to previously sold under

item # 262087467958 on Oct 14, 2015.  Same note and same serial number

The 10/14/15 sold item is not under my solds on Turbo Lister (I have not resynced TL in the last few days) and TL info comes from Ebay after doing a sync

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

and I forgot to add Ebay keeps the FVF's on shipping and Paypal keeps the 30¢ charge, so of course it is to their benefit to leave it alone!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Hello Raphael,

The two GSP threads which are tacked at the top of Buyer Central should be locked to new posts, or somehow fixed.

The most recent posts are inaccessible, which means that questions can't be answered and neither can comments.

Can something be done?  The eBayers who post questions expect answers that no one can now give them.

Thank you.

Hi 00nevermind00,

Thanks for flagging this. It looks like the threads have become so massive that they are breaking. I'll flag this with Lithium and see if they can do something about it.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I have a question I've been wanting to ask for weeks, if not months now, but have hesitated.  Although it may seem like a rhetorical question, it isn't.  Since it's now nearing the end of 2015, I'd like to ask it anyway (after a short preamble). 

I've been selling on eBay for over 7 years, mostly very successfully (based on my own definition and requirements).  There have been ups and downs, but overall I've maintained both Global and US TRS, 100% positive FB, no defects (ever), and almost always 5.0 DSRs (some US buyers occasionally object to shipping time or cost, even though I "subsidize" my shipping rates and get my items out mostly the same day they are purchased).  

I offer subsidized (or free shipping) on most items, have listed more items (with more variety) this year than ever, make full and extensive use of gallery photos, titles, item specifics, categories, markdowns, promotions, have not raised my prices in 4 years, and still include descriptions in my listings (for those who use PCs).  

With all that, the number of sales has steadily and dramatically dropped over 2015.  Many of the items I sell are unique and have traditionally been in demand.  This month I've lost my US TRS (due to low transaction levels), and for the first time in all the years I've sold on eBay, I will probably not make enough to cover my expenses in December.  Granted, December is usually a slower month, but I've had only one small sale so far, and just a handful in November.  

So my questions are: 

1)  What more can I do that I haven't already done?  (I should mention that my "experiment" in listing on .com has made no difference whatsoever, nor did offering free shipping domestically across the board for all smaller items for many months). 

2)  Why is this happening?  Any ideas or theories?  Are my "type" of buyers gone?

I'm really at my wits' end, and I'm not asking these things frivolously.  My future on eBay is in real doubt at this point. 

Thank you Raphael. 

Hi rose-dee,

Really sorry to read this. I wish I could point at one thing as the reason for your sales' decline, but my best guess is that there are probably a lot of things at play. I don't have easy access to data on the health of the category you list in but that would be a good place to start. I'll try and find someone who can take a look but our analytics dept. is already very stretched as it is so I can't promise to be able to do that soon.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Whatever happened to the replacement for the old Omniture system?  We were told it was going to be a matter of a few months.  That was 6 months ago.  

Will statistical data be incorporated in the new Seller Hub, or it is planned for elsewhere?  Any ETA?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, and before I forget -- a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the rest of the .ca staff! Woman Very Happy

I still don't have news about that I'm afraid.

Thanks for the wishes! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Two quick questions today:

Are you guys and gals at Head Office on King Street in Toronto planning a Christmas party?

Are we invited? Smiley Happy

Hello Pierre,

We had our office party last week actually! You didn't get your invite? 😉

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@dutchman48 wrote:

Raphael

Hello dutchman,

Thanks.

Item # 391325139267 - Sold Dec15, 2015 and cancelled do to previously sold under

item # 262087467958 on Oct 14, 2015.  Same note and same serial number

The 10/14/15 sold item is not under my solds on Turbo Lister (I have not resynced TL in the last few days) and TL info comes from Ebay after doing a sync

Thanks, I'll investigate.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

and I forgot to add Ebay keeps the FVF's on shipping and Paypal keeps the 30¢ charge, so of course it is to their benefit to leave it alone!

Not sure I follow you there... None of the money that PayPal takes has anything to do with eBay anymore.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I still don't have news about that I'm afraid.

Thanks for the wishes! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

The new ebay Seller Hub has some sales statistics in it. The existing Selling Manager had a simple bar graph of sales in the past 90 or 120 days. The new Hub has more info. It is in development as beta testers ask for more features. It seems to have the eBay Listing Analytics app incorporated into it.

I do not know if this is to replace the store Ominture system. Perhaps more features will be available to store members and store levels versus a non-store.

If anyone is interested in reading about the new eBay Seller Hub, there is forum for it where beta testers can post there issues and ask for features. I made quite a few suggestions on all the things I wanted in Selling Manager as well as improvements to the current eBay Beta Seller Hub that I see. At least one suggestion I made (drop down menus on the pages) has been implemented. Not to take credit but the new Seller Hub team is actively reading the forum and posting back. So rare to have immediate feedback on suggestions and implementation of some.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-Seller-Hub/gp-p/eBaySellerHub

You may want to bookmark the group as it is hard to find. It is posted in a topic pinned to the top of the eBay.com Selling forum.

I do like the new Hub and the new SYI form. I usually hate change but this new hub is okay. It will take a few hours to get used to it when implemented and days to be comfortable with it. I do think it takes an extra click or too to do some things. With all things, there will be some you like and do not like.

As for whether it is necessary, I am of the opinion that eBay spend their programming resources on making the site work than making system changes when a existing system is already in place that does the job (Selling Manager). Use all resources for 1 year to make the existing eBay system work rather than change it constantly.

The hub is only on the eBay.com site and is only available to those that requested to be on the beta when it was announced.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply