Do I as the seller issue the refund once a buyer accepts a cancellation request?

Do I as the seller issue the refund once a buyer accepts a cancellation request or does ebay do this automatically on my behalf. This is the first time I've used the resolution centre and don't want to make a rookie mistake. thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Do I as the seller issue the refund once a buyer accepts a cancellation request?

Most buyers would want to have their money back before accepting the cancellation. Mutual cancellations are best used when the decision is amicable and both parties are sane.

(Read the boards a while and you will see nuttiness on both sides Woman Surprised)

The buyer can accept or ignore the MC and it will end.

Or the buyer can refuse to accept the MC and the seller is back where she started.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Basically, to rephrase what 'femmefan' has said (all of which is accurate), the refund is usually the sweetener in the hope the buyer will be pleased and press the "Accept" button when the cancellation is sent to her.  Which is why, as femme  says, you usually only want to use the cancellation process if the buyer asks you for it and they seem friendly and reasonable.  Often a buyer will ask for a cancellation before paying, which is probably better.

I should say, all of the above applies assuming you haven't actually sent the item yet (I hope not).

By the way, make sure you close the cancellation process yourself after 7 days (I believe that's the time limit) if the buyer hasn't done so herself by that point.

And always remember that the buyer can still leave FB/DSRs for a cancelled transaction, so keep everything on very friendly terms. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and isued the refund after the buyer accepted the cancellation. Buyer requested the cancellation immediately after processing payment, didn't like the shipping cost. She was friendly and reasonable, I am always friendly and I hope reasonable. I guess I was lucky this time. Thanks again.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply