Do I have to go on paypal to buy an item

jaimfoste0
Community Member

Do I have to be on paypal to buy an item?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

some sellers may take a credit card but a lot dont,you should link your bank account with pay pal to make it easier,and that does envolve opening a pay pal account

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@jaimfoste0 wrote:

Do I have to be on paypal to buy an item?

Do you mean "need to have a paypal account" or "have to be signed on to paypal to buy" ?

If you are looking to avoid using paypal:

You can ask the seller if they will accept a payment by some other method than paypal and see if they agree.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

<< Do I have to be on paypal to buy an item?>>

No, you do not.  

You can use a credit card at the checkout if you prefer.   You have to have one or the other, -- a credit card or a paypal account, but you do not need both. 

For the matter of that, if you are buying an item like an outboard motor from someone nearby and you plan to pick it up, you do not need either.  You click to buy the motor and then pay cash to the seller when you go to get it.  

Ebay likes money and therefore makes it very easy to buy.

For online buying and having items delivered, whilst you can always ask if a seller will take a postal money order, that puts you at 100% risk.  Better to have an online traceable means of payment.

A paypal account can be attached to your bank account, credit card, or both.  

OR, you can simply use a credit card directly when you pay.  It's really easy:

When you see the item you want, you click to buy, then click to confirm.  

Then click Pay Now.

On the next page you see two options, - credit cards at the top, and paypal accounts under that.

Click the credit card option.

On the next page enter your info and card number.

Click through to confirm payment.

After that you will get a paypal receipt in your regular email (paypal processes all card payments).  This is an important document, -- do not delete it.  

Happy shopping. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Keep in mind that when you use Paypal you also get PP's excellent Buyer Protection against non-delivery or loss as well as damage for six months.

Much longer than eBay's protections.

The most secure protection is buying with a PP account backed by a credit card. You get eBay and PP Buyer Protection plus your card's chargeback protection.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply