Do You Get Annoyed when....?

jaymor8
Community Member
Is there anyone else out there who finds it unbearably annoying when a buyer uses the 'Buy It Now' and then doesn't pay you for 3 or 4 days by Paypal? Can anyone give me some insight into the logic involved with that activity? I don't just mean newbies either..I mean users with many feedbacks who both buy AND sell and are obviously established in the ebay community.

Any takers? Don??

Jackie...
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

ibhuff
Community Member
Maybe the buyer wants the item, and is willing to pay the set amount, but doesnt have the funds in his account yet? He could be waiting for payments from other people rather than use his credit card.
That's the only thing I can think of.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Jackie they are driving me crazy. Most of my listing are fixed price so it's "Buy it Now" or take a pass. And you are right... its not just newbies. Its getting worse as each day goes by. I have been thinking of adopting the new feature whereby winning biiders for BIN must make instant payment by PayPal but that would mean giving up all other payment options and I'm not certain how that might affect my sales - especially as we are just heading into the busiest time of year.

Some of the emails I have been getting lately are truly inane...

ooops, my finger slipped... I didn't really want to buy... could you let me off this time?

It must have been my darned kids or one of the other thirty-five people that have access to my computer and passwords.

My computer crashed... yes I knwo that I have been continuing to bid on other items but I was using a friends computer for that.

Right after I bid I found another auction where it was a nickel cheaper. If you can't match their price I'll be buying it from them.

ok... there are a bunch more that we all hear everyday. Anyone care to continue adding to the list?

Bill

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
How about, "After looking at the picture longer, I have decided I don't like the earrings afterall. Hope I didn't inconvenience you too much. Thanks and have a Happy Go Lucky Day!"

Nearly tossed my cookies over that one. I'm on your side Treasure...believe you me!!!

Jackie...
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

momosworld
Community Member
Yes very annoying, we get about 100-150 non-paying bidders a month, my selling manager is telling me 54 non-paying in the past 10 days...just ridiculous and such a waste of money and the excuses are just stupid.

Eg: some of my auctions headers: "Ericsson T610 sheepskin leather case"

Then we get emailed, "sorry I though i was bidding on the phone"

crazy is say!

momo.

My mommy says i'm cool

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

deltone
Community Member
As each day passes, there are more fools and idiots joining ebay. It's pathetic really. Luckily there are still some great people but some are beyond real. I'm dealing with the biggest moron right now,and he's really starting to p*ss me off. I've written to Powerseller support to get this creep off my back, but so far, they haven't replied. Ebay should not allow this cr*p to go on. I'll start a new thread about it. I really need to vent!! grrrrrrrrrrrr
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

quality_goods_4_u
Community Member
I personally don't mind waiting 3-4 days. Nowadays people have very busy lives and there could be many reasons for a delay. Crying baby, phone ring, doorbell, Survivor is on, all these could pull the person away from the computer and they don't realize it until after. However, I think the comment above is more like it, waiting for funds to show up from a sale or to be transferred from their bank account into a Paypal account. I am definitely getting tired of NPB in general though. Even though my auction clearly states 'zero feedback must contact me before buying' I get a lot of buyers who don't read and bid anyway. Of course, I don't get paid 1/2 the time. Keep selling, S. Campbell
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
Would you rather they don't bid?

There is a new option now for buy it now - instant payment required or something along those lines. I haven't looked into it, but it's there as an option when (re)listing. I think it might be an effort on the part of ebay to shut out other payment companies as I believe you have to pay with PayPal....

As for why people wait - maybe they don't realize you run continuous auctions (they think they'll miss out if they don't "bid" right now), maybe they're watching your other auctions and want to combine shipping, maybe they're busy - or maybe they don't take ebay as seriously as we do?

I get my share of deadbeats too - but that happens everywhere - NPB, FVF, neg and move on to the next customer.

But bugs me though is the duplicate bids on buy it nows!!
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
No...I certainly would not prefer them to 'not bid'. But isn't there a happy medium? Now...this potential buy it now/pay it now idea sounds like it could be good...but you can be darned sure that ebay will have it's fingers in THAT pot. If I sound bitter...well it's because I believe that once in a great while, ebay could throw us a bone. I'm a dreamer...but other major corps give their employees perqs...why can't ebay? They can't survive without us and we can't survive without them. Quid pro quo...

Jackie...
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

acurael
Community Member
http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html?sell=immediatepayment.html

PayPal only...

ebay can certainly survive without "us" and we can no doubt do the same without them - they may have a pretty strong lock on the online auction thing, but there's more than one way to skin a cat (or sell your products) 🙂
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Acurael - Thanks for the link. I understand what you are saying here but I personally feel that ebay has cornered the online auction market. Perhaps one day soon, our own emarina will be a force to be contended with and then we'll have some leverage.

Cheers...Jackie
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
Hi Jackie,

Been very busy last few days with the real job. Training for my Paramedics. I believe it is due to insufficient funds in their account. I get it alot as well. Possibly a seller using their buying ID to purchase it but having to wait for more funds to roll in so they can pay. I think this is silly as you at least have the protection of your cc for a chargeback just in case something goes wrong with the sale. I would not worry though unless you are in a hurry for the money. You are still being paid. Better than not. Heck I just got paid for something she said she would pay for two weeks ago. I give them 14 days so if paid in that time, fine with me. Hope this might help you if not just ignore my ramblings. To much to learn. AH!

Don
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Aaaaahhhhh Don, you're such a sweety. I guess my logic was this....when I put a BIN, I realize that I am always taking the chance that I will lose out on a possible high bid but the upshot is....I can get paid now. That is supposed to be the motivation. If the person uses the BIN, then waits until my auctions end to pay me, then I might as well have just left it up for bidding and take a chance on getting more money. Do you know what I mean?

But, right now I'd take ANYthing. My auctions just suck this week and I am thoroughly discouraged. Hope yours are doing better than mine. Maybe I should pose nekkid with my rings and earrings too...maybe that'll bring em in...or scare em off...who knows 😜

Jackie...
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
Jackie,

I am not sure about the nekkid part either but maybe you could email me the photos first and I could tell you if they will increase your hits. HA! Sales have been pretty good. But I have had some exceptional pieces as of late. And most of them are really sought after. Most of the big buyers I am used to seeing doing all the bidding are finally visiting me this week. Its a nice change. I am surprised it is so quiet for you. Have you ever thought about opening an eBay store? I just recently opened mine and am amazed at the success I am having with it. It is also free right now for Canadian sellers. Extremely cheap to list in it too. Since opening (4 or 5 weeks) I have done a several hundred dollars in sales. Was always hesitant but now wish I had done it sooner. I will probably keep it open even when they start to charge for it down the road. But only if it stays successful. Just some food for thought.

Don
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Hah...who needs an ebay store. I've got three whole bids and they are ALLLLL mine. Nya na na na na na na! All of my regs are out of town this week...or something like that. They'll be back for the auction end. That's what my psychic told me and I believe everything they say! NOT!!!!!! I'm just kidding around with you Don. I will definitely take that suggestion under advisement. Actually, I'll take whatever I can get at the moment. Come on....c'mon and bid on my stuff. You'll love it...I promise!!!

Jackie...
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Hi Jackie,

I have implemented something that works for me in terms of getting people to pay right away.

I put in my auctions(for the smaller stuff that only takes a small bubble envelope and one stamp)..."BONUS...Get free shipping via airmail if you pay the SAME DAY that you buy-it-now, or the same day that the auction ends. Otherwise..." and then I go into my spiel about shipping costs. Its amazing how many people will save themselves the few bucks by parting with their money right away.

Of course it goes without saying that this only works for the little and light items. Yes, it costs me either .48, or .65 (on occasion 1.25) plus about 15 cents for the envelope...depending where its being sent. But I find it worth it for the hasslefree payment...I dont have to chase them. And, I can with some items include it in the price of my auction.

Your rings would work well with this trick. Then, if they want insurance, you can make an allowance for the "free" shipping. I usually take $1 off whatever the insured price is.

Hope this helps, or works for you.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

gloriaguides
Community Member
I think this is the motivation behind ebay's new Buy It Now/Pay NOW idea, where they haven't actually bought it until it's paid for. It also requires them to use Paypal to pay, so ebay likes that too! I often get buyers who tell me it will be a few days before the money to pay is in their Paypal account. I don't fret about it and I rarely use BIN. Would rather take my chances. Gloria
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Jaqui - thanks for sharing that wisdom. It has been my personal experience that anything free gets attention and why not but....knowing human nature as you and I both do, being on ebay...it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for people to try to get you on a technicality like...well you said free shipping and I want mine to be FedXd or I want Xpresspost with $200 insurance and so on and so forth.

I think your idea shines but there may have to be a tiny disclaimer in the offering vis-a-vis 'Payment immediately qualifies the buyer for free S/H by Canada Post regular mail. Xpress shipping and/or insurance will be at the expense of the buyer.

Something like that. Sounds cheap, I think, huh??

Jackie...
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Jackie,

In my auctions I usually write that "as a bonus if you pay the same day, I will give you free shipping! (via regular mail). Otherwise..." Becuase yes, you are right...they may take that to mean "via Fed Ex". But then the paragraph after the "otherwise..." states the cost for the regular shipping, and that insurance etc are extra.

Maybe I have been lucky in that I havent been caught with someone asking for Fex Ex. But then with the way most customers dont even read whats there, I frequently have people paying the same day, and adding the shipping even so. That opens up another can of worms, true enough, but has worked in my favor too.

I used to then email them, and go thru a hassle trying to give them a related product that I normally sell for the same amount as the shipping. But THAT was such a hassle, I figured if they are not prepared to READ and follow instructions...I now just ignore the fact that they sent the shipping amount as well. If they complain about it later...I will deal with it then. I try to reach them before they make payment in error...but if I cannot, its easier to deal with it this way. It seems to be MUCH more smooth that way, and the other way I felt was making it more of a hassle for them. This way they are done quickly.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Jaqui - we do what we have to do, to keep the stress levels down as well as the high probability of hassles. I agree that sometimes it's better to just take things as they come - but conversely sometimes it's better to be more preventative. It greatly depends on what your line of business is, too. With my auctions, I always have the stuff on hand...no need to order more or no worry of running out. I have weirder troubles, such as...'this isn't the color I thought it was' or 'I made a mistake, amethyst isn't my birthstone...it's pearl!'. Ya meets all kinds!

Jackie...
Message 20 of 20
latest reply