Down graded to basic store level from premium store because of shipping cost from Canada

I have been downgraded to basic store level (not by choice) because my performance level is down. Not globally, that is above standard but only in the USA!! I am being judged by eBay because I am Canadian and have to deal with the shipping cost from Canada post. And because Canada post has higher shipping cost then the USPS the Americans that buy from me give me a 1 and 2 star. I even state that I don`t charge handling and all the shipping cost that they pay is what I pay. The whole ball of wax.

I have now  changed most of my 1800 items to free shipping to hopefully make a difference. I think whoever does this performance review is prejudice against me because I am Canadian. 

My feedback is 99.7% and GLOBALLY I am above standard and that is where they should judge me on because after all I do sell GLOBALLY not just to the USA.

I am not happy with this decision and I do realise I will be the only one in this boat that feels this way.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Down graded to basic store level from premium store because of shipping cost from Canada

And because Canada post has higher shipping cost then the USPS the Americans that buy from me give me a 1 and 2 star.

While all other Canadian sellers use teleportation devices?

You won't get much sympathy for that here. Most Canadian sellers keep 4.8 to 5.0 shipping time and cost Ratings.

What is it about your listings, shipping service, and customers that means you are getting lower Ratings?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

davida

If your store has been downgraded to basic, you are only allowed 150 free listings per month. You have around 1800 items for sale and will be charged huge listings fees for any that renew over that 150 limit if the are good till cancelled listings. Keep a close eye, figure it out or you will be paying Ebay huge extra dollars on top of having store downgraded.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

A nickel a month is huge? That's $45. -- four and a half hours work at minimum wage.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

1650 listings at .05/listing would be $82.50 but it looks as if less than half of the OP's listings are in the .05 category

Assuming that half of their listings are .05...

1800 - 150 = 1650

825 x .05 = $41.25

825 x .20 = $165

Approx. total $206.25

OP could list 150 of the .20 listings on .com instead and receive 150 free listings there for a savings of $30/month but that's a lot of work.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

If the store is downgraded, listings are no longer 5¢ per listing but I believe 20¢ per listing for a basic store unless they are in a special category with lower fees.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Some of the OP's listings are in books, dvd etc. which are .05/listing in all stores

The only store that has .05 listings for all fixed price listings is an anchor store.

Off topic...my keyboard doesn't have the ¢ sign. Is there another way do it (other than copying and pasting it) ?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Using your numeric keypad on a Windows computer, turn on the numeric lock (num lock), press and hols the ALT key and then press 0 1 6 2 on the numeric keypad. Do not use the numbers on the regular part of the keyboard.

¢

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

¢

ohhh...Thanks Poco.  I will never remember that so will have to make a note of it somewhere.

But I think that I had to turn the num lock off, not on

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I just tested and it works with or without numlock on. Depends on the keyboard ?

I Google searched how to do it. I knew about the ALT plus number code but I did not remember what code to use.

I have a Windows notepad file where I keep all kinds of special characters and other odds and ends of texts I use ready for copy and paste. Much easier than remembering ALT codes. The file is on my Windows Taskbar at the bottom of the screen ready for use any time.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

PJ  Thank you for the correction. I mostly sell books so I keep forgetting that we get a break on prices.

poco-- Do you know the code for cents on a Mac? 0162 doesn't work. Anyone?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I found this link on Google. It is easy for a Mac apparently. Let us know if it works.

http://www.homeeducateinthesunshinestate.com/blog/how-to/how-to-type-the-cent-symbol-on-your-compute...

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yes I am getting shafted from the Americans for shipping services. That is what puzzles me. It says right in my listing what the shipping is before they buy. It says right in my listing that all shipping costs are Canada post costs only and that I do not charge handling fees yet they still seem to complain. My opinion is if you don`t like the shipping cost don't buy from me and penalize me for it.

My big question is: It was suggested to me to put all or most of my listings as "free shipping" and that would help.

What do you think?

Right now with me being down graded like this, also my search is not at the top of the list because of my "low score" with ebay my sales have dropped like crazy.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I really don`t know. I kinda figured I was doing everything I could.

I cut out all my handling fees, I only charge shipping that Canada post charges.

It even says right on there what my costs are for shipping and that I do not charge handling. My opinion is if you don`t like the shipping cost then don`t buy from me and screw me over with low ratings.

It has been suggested that I should change most if not all my items to "free shipping" but I think between me now changing all that and being low in the search engine with ebay my sales have gone way down. so I really don`t think that was a good thing....

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yes exactly. Even with the premium store not all items are a nickel anyway. Because ebay has changed there store fees. Some are 10¢ each and some are 5¢. Now that I am at basic, my fees are 10¢ and 20¢ depending on the item and catigory
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

I found this link on Google. It is easy for a Mac apparently. Let us know if it works.

http://www.homeeducateinthesunshinestate.com/blog/how-to/how-to-type-the-cent-symbol-on-your-compute...

Yep. That's the bunny.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

It says right in my listing that all shipping costs are Canada post costs only and that I do not charge handling fees yet they still seem to complain.

Your customers don't care, and probably didn't read it anyway.

Actually, they may not have been able to read it. Hmm- have you ever looked at your listings on a mobile device and not logged in as yourself?

It can be a shock to see how little your customers see.

My big question is: It was suggested to me to put all or most of my listings as "free shipping" and that would help.

What do you think?

Depends on your items.

If they can ship for little enough that adding the cost of shipping into the price of the item is not off-putting, go for it.

And that to some extent depends on the value of the item. I offer Free Shipping on my discount postage, because my markup is high enough that even paying for insured and tracked ExpressPost on a $1000. order is not a worry. And since my customer is paying $750 for the stamps, inclusive of shipping and taxes, he is pretty happy too.

On the other hand, if I were shipping a $10 paperback to Alberta the $12 cost of Regular Parcel makes it impossible for me to go for Free Shipping. Oddly, many Albertans are happy to pay the $22 for a book.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply