Drop in Sales

Has anyone seen a rather drastic drop in sales on eBay in the last couple of years. I have been a seller for over 10 years but the last couple of years have bordered on dreadful. I sell primarily used sports jerseys. I use to sell about 25%-40% of the items I had listed weekly but have seen that drop to 10%-15%. I have consistently dropped prices and still don't sell like I use to. I keep thinking and hoping that it will get better but month after month it does not. The Christmas Season was always good in the past but this year was brutal. I really enjoy selling on eBay but it is getting close to not even be worth it. I am in Canada and have wondered if maybe that's the problem as the Canadian dollar is getting weaker but I have adjusted prices to keep up and still sales are down. Wondering if this is a common consensus among fellow eBayers or I am just not keeping up with the times. Maybe I need to change how I sell on eBay. Any feedback would be appreciated as I am close to packing this in. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Drop in Sales

I've noticed a decrease as well although Christmas was good this year.  I don't know what the answer is but I do notice that you have quite a few more auctions than buy it now listings right now. Does that work for you? I find that fixed price tend to work better for me although I do a few auctions here and there.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I buy in your category, more so under my previous account (only bought one Canucks item under this one). The good old days are gone, everything (from groceries to hydro has gone up) and wages aren't keeping pace. Work is harder to come by for many people, government corruption and taxation is up.

Setting that aside, items have increased quite a bit on Ebay (so has shipping) and with the GSP........

Lets just say I now spend a fraction of what I used to on EBay.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I do not have much success with but-it-nows. I have tried them but items just sit. Quite often there will be a number of watchers but people just don't pull the trigger. I am afraid to start items at $.99 as I see some sellers do just because I see lots of those items just selling for a very low price. Have you tried any $.99 listings yourself?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No! I don't have the nerve for that. lol

I've had the odd item that has done really well at auction but I think that a person has to have something that people really want in order to be able to start it at a low low price and not lose money on it.

There's another seller who posts on the board once in a while and I think that he used to sell a lot more jerseys but has found that he's had to find some new categories to sell in as sales were declining for him too.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

EBay may be King of auctions but not the only venue,lots to choose now.Unique items always have a quick sale.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply