EBAY no longer shows anonymous coded id's for bidders

Ebay no longer shows anonymous  bidder codes - just "private bidder"...so how do we as buyers know there isn't any shill bidding going on??? I don't want to bid anymore because now a seller can get a buddy to shill bid for them and jack up the prices. at least before you could verify they were a legitimate buyer and not fake.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Ebay no longer shows anonymous  bidder codes - just "private bidder"...so how do we as buyers know there isn't any shill bidding going on??? I don't want to bid anymore because now a seller can get a buddy to shill bid for them and jack up the prices. at least before you could verify they were a legitimate buyer and not fake.

It is just when a seller has a private listing you see private bidder.

All other listings still show the anonymous bidder codes.

You couldn't tell if there was shill bidding with either.

Even when it showed the bidders ID in the old days you couldn't prove shill bidding.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

none02910
Community Member

um,yes it has been proven and your are mistaken on this subject.CNBC did a story titled "A Tale Of Two Auctions" and the sellers that were shill bidding were confronted on what they did and no it is not a harmless crime,in many areas of the USA it is in fact a felony to defraud people in such a way,soon after Ebay began hding ID's rather than confront the problem which to this day does go on,that is called aiding & abeiting my freind..............

Message 3 of 3
latest reply