EBay sucks

Purchased a phone and it's black listed. Didn't realise thought phone was not working. More than 30 days so purchase protection is gone.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

EBay sucks

If it has been more than 30 days past ebay's last estimated arrival date then go to PayPal and open an item not as described claim with PayPal, you have 180 days from date of purchase to do that. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

Thanks I've tried that it's just a game of hot potato. Back and forth from paypal and ebay no one will take responsibility.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

I  have heard that the link to open the clsim in paypal is somewhat obscure, and unless you find it it will try to send you to ebay

Possibly someone who has actually done it will be along to advise, or you could post your problem on the US ebay boards since they get a lot more posters and the problem is not specific to Canada. There used to be a board specifically for Paypal, I don't know if it survived the various remakes of the US boards.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/bd-p/selling-db

Try this one.  The Paypal board has gone and 'Payments' seems pretty dead or irrelevant.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

Ok thanks worst case I lost 100 USD I'll be ordering from amazon from now on.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

Well you shouldn't have to lose anything... 

Ok so for ebay you have up to 30 days after the actual confirmed delivery date (if you have tracking that shows an actual delivery date) OR up to 30 days after the last estimated ebay delivery date (if shipping was not tracked)

IF you are too late in either of the above then you are supposed to be able to open an item not as described claim through PayPal within 180 days of the original purchase payment date. PayPal does "recommend" (in their help pages) that for ebay purchases you deal with or through ebay and they also state you have 45 days to do this (which I find a little confusing) ~ but it does not say anywhere that you cannot open a PayPal dispute for an ebay transaction. 

Have you tried to actually call and speak with a live person @ ebay or paypal? It might take more than one phone call and a bit of patience but worth it for $100USD I think.

As a last resort ~ or maybe your only resort ~ was your payment funded by a credit card? You could try contacting your credit card company directly to see what type of consumer protection they offer and get the charge reversed that way. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

Yes.

Recommendations and suggestions are NOT RULES.

Go back to your Paypal dispute (I assume it is still open?) and escalate to a Claim.

You will be required to return the phone to the seller with confirmation of deliveyr.

If he is not in Canada, this can be expensive.

When the phone shows as being back with the seller, you will be refunded. (If he doesn't do this voluntarily, PP will refund you and go after him for their money.)

As much as possible stick to the robots.

The human beings either have English as a second language (Phillippine call centre) or are vague on concepts like "Canada is not in the United States" (Utah).

The robots just do the job.

A suggestion is not a rule.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

You say the phone is blacklisted - have you confirmed this on a site like this one:

https://imeidata.net/blacklist/check

Here is a link to the ebay help page for stolen items:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/stolen.html

Here is a link to an (older) eBay buying guide that addresses locked, blocked or black listed cell phones:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Locked-Blocked-Black-Listed-Cell-Phones-/10000000004234351/g.html

If the phone has been reported stolen, why would you be required to return it - that would just allow the seller to resell it.  You could report it to the police, get a report number, phone eBay or PayPal, and try again to get your money back with a police report number.  You have the name and address of the seller - the fact that they sold stolen goods should also be reported to their local police, with a link to your local police report.  Do not return it to the service provider as suggested until you have sorted out your refund problem.

If you cannot get your money back from eBay or PayPal without returning the cell phone, try your credit card provider - I hope you backed this purchase with a credit card and not your bank balance or PayPal balance.

I doubt that eBay and PayPal wish to be linked to stolen goods, and by using the blacklist info, a police report, etc., you should be able to have your purchase refunded.  Ask for a supervisor if you are not satisfied with the customer service response.  Try phoning the free number during normal weekday office hours for Utah, in hopes of being answered by someone at their Salt Lake City call centre.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

EBay sucks

Thanks for all the replies. Great community. I'll try suggestions and also I contacted at&t they will help.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply