EMAIL ADDRESSES NOT ALLOWED

This is more of a vent than a question but when did EBAY become so controlling and communist like that they refuse to allow you to send an email address through to someone? The decision to share my contact information is mine, not yours. Next you will be telling people to remove telephone numbers from their listing! To suggest that everyone that shares an email address with someone else is trying to screw you by doing a deal on the side is an insult to people and shows just how greedy and controlling you have become EBAY.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: EMAIL ADDRESSES NOT ALLOWED

ebay has not allowed email adresses to be sent through their system for many years

when I signed up for ebay my email address  was  my ID

in 2003 they stopped allowing people to use them

weavers

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

it is insulting, and it probably is in the user agreement somewhere that you agreed to. 

I agree that many times, email is used for business within ebay. 

The only thing you can do is get around it. It's fairly easy. Just say your address is john at gee male then . com. That might not quite work, but you get the idea. A few tries and it's no problem. 

Still annoying though. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The rule against telephone numbers in listings has been in effect for about four years now in Canada and the USA

Some other eBay sites such as the UK and Australia permit telephone numbers in listings if the seller is a registered business because that information is required by law.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

yourremovethisname atremovethis serviceremovethisprovider dot ca  or whatever

Humans should be able to fool robots, or we are doomed.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It will reject common tricks like someone at somewhere dot com. At least it did for me recently.

Computers are learning ...
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

It will reject common tricks

Who does not relish a challenge? Come you nigh,Kay Shuns.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Great comments! Yes I am aware of the writing out the email trick but I must share that I attempted this numerous times and the system pick it up every time.

They should consider that perhaps their incredible online world which brought a seller and buyer together may have also led to the same two people being associated with a rare organ or blood requirement that would have saved some youn childs life had the buyer and seller not spent a week trying to share their emails. It could be two car collecters that share a similar interest in a very rare automobile or part. There are thousands of more legit reason for sharing an email or telephone number at the mutual decision of the parties involved versus the one single reason for which EBay condemns it. It would not be difficult at all to set something up in the sustem for which people could decline or accept an invitation to share this information.

On a side note I was always under the impression that my telephone number was private within Ebay but there have been numerous times over the years that i have been contacted by people whichavens involved in transactions with. I recall maybe one or two of them was to discuss a perceived mutual interest in collector cars which is fine, the balance of calls were to clarify an issue or concern regarding the packaging or shipping of a larger item. In fact the latter happened very recently. It always amazed me how they got my number from the,same,system that does not allow you to share it?

Again initiating this discussion was for no other reason but to vent. Simply another challenge! Thanks......

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

send a business card with your email and website when you ship an item to a customer.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply