Easter Monday as a CPC Stat Holiday miscounted in delivery estimates

Note to sellers using untracked services: watch your future defects around delivery estimates over and including the Easter weekend. 

Anything sold after Thursday may be displaying an incorrect 'Expect by' date in the Order Details. It seems that the count might remember to exclude Good Friday as a non-working Stat holiday but also includes Easter Monday as a working day for Canada Post. It is not. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=find_out_operating_h&cattype=kb&cat=sending...

For my purposes, I am concerned about two items sent via (untracked) domestic lettermail. Both show three to seven business days on the listing (as usual) but give an Estimated Delivery date of too soon to the buyer: Wed., March 30 to April 5. Since post offices are closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday and Easter Monday is a stat holiday for Canada Post employees, the first business day is Tuesday. Meaning the soonest anyone could expect their mail under a three to seven day window would be Thursday, March 31. That short-changed day at the front affects the too-soon date at the back as well. 

As certain as I eat chocolate rabbits from the rear-end upwards, this ebay counting mistake is going to bite some hapless seller on the butt. 

jpgScreen Shot 2016-03-25 at 8.30.59 PM.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

mcrlmn
Community Member

I just realized that yesterday afternoon when on my way to the mail box.

I had 2 orders purchased after Thursday mail pickup.

Because of Friday and Monday Canada Post stat holidays, and no standard mail pickup on Sat. and Sun., there will be no regular mail pickup until next Tuesday afternoon.

Typically they just pick up parcels and similar on Saturdays.

I dropped the envelopes off at a Canada Post outlet with the hopes that the carrier will pick up the regular mail, behind the desk, with the parcel pickup on Saturday morning.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

That is my similar hope. Easter is the time of year I worry about most for postal delays and often I take measures (like putting the store on Vacation even though I'm filling orders as I would normally) to reduce buyer expectations around the double-whammy of stat holidays. Unlike closures around Christmas and Boxing Day which everyone seems to understand will cause postal delays, Easter Monday on top pf Good Friday is too easily overlooked. 

I took three packages to my local postal outlet this morning: two domestic oversize lettermail envelopes which are displaying too-soon 'expectt by' dates and one tracked item going overseas. On the latter, I should have had until Tuesday to get my acceptance scan but decided not to take any chances. Plus, the sooner these items get into the mainstream, hopefully the sooner they start moving.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I noticed that too. One item sold this morning to someone in Ontario and the first eta is Tuesday. Considering there is no mail pick up until Tuesday afternoon, it's a sure bet that it will not be there on Tuesday.

The USPS is not closed at all for the Easter holiday so I hate that CP is closed for 4 days in a row.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

It is not unusual for eBay to forget certain Canada Post holidays.

It has been happening for years.

That is why I constantly remind buyers of the situation ... that means Good Friday and Easter Monday are Canada Post holidays.....

and as a consequence  Tuesday March 29 is the first day Canada Post will be picking up mail after a 4 day holiday.

Christmas gets touchy when Christmas falls on Saturday and Boxing day on Sunday....  Making Monday and Tuesday Canada Post holidays... happened a few years ago

That just might have been missed by eBay, because eBay chooses to .follow the USPS holiday schedule....

Message 5 of 5
latest reply