Ebay = Sniper Heaven

tavislow
Community Member

Ebay is so silly, I have got sniped at the last second about once a day or so and i dont bid lots either, about 2 times a day, i am the highest bidder for 12 hours then 30 second s left some random person comes in and gets it , then of course my pc screws up then i think that i am winning but no when i go to check i am not,  there should be a rule that you cant bid if you have not bid before the 5 minutes left mark, now i bet some people are going to say that Ebay is so good everything about Ebay rocks, silly fanboys, i dont know if i am trolling or not, first post 😉

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ebay = Sniper Heaven

It isn't the last bidder that wins, it is the highest bidder.

If you are constantly being outbid, you are bidding below the current market.

All you have to do to win is bid higher.

As a strategy, you should also bid once, bid your maximum and bid late.

BTW, some of those snipers may have bid as early as the first few moments of the auction. They could be using a service like http://www.esnipe.com/, which, for a small monthly fee, will put in bids in the last seconds of the auction. Again, the timing is less important than that they bid more than any other bidder.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

use proxy bidding when bidding here

proxy bidding is entering the highest amount you are willing to pay for an item and ebay will automatically bid for you one increment at a time til it reaches your maximum bid

that way you dont have to keep bidding

if you get outbid at the end of an auction at least you know you went the highest amount you were willing to  and it was not meant to be

proxy bidding does not mean that all items will rise in price  a number of items listed on ebay go for the first bid right now or just above it  but it allows one to have a better chance of winning an item without constantly checking  and having to rebid

no rules are needed for a legitamate way of bidding here

auctions are a competition and the highest bid wins

proxy bidding allows one to acheive that goal at times

weavers

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have always and will always bid in the last 5 secs and in the last minute I confirm my comp is running quick enough with the ipad on back up ....

This ensures a few things ...

1 I have never EVER lost an auction I wanted

2 Gives you the best chances of winnning cheap intstead of putting in your highest bid and watching the item go up and up and up

3 Stops you from caring what is happening and stop you from wasting time checking on it for 7 days .. ( I figure out the exact time in ends and go back in the last 10 minutes no wasting one glance or anytime before the last 10 minutes..

What people call Snipe bidding I call the only smart way to win it cheap

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This is very much the best example of bidding on ebay.

What seems to some as frustrating snipe bidding is actually a good practice for two reasons.

One to not get nibbled up with shill bids, and two it will help keep fever bidding to a minimum during an auction, and hopefully win at a lower price.

This is advantageous for buyers of course, but sellers don't like the practice because they can miss out on a better sale. I'm on the fence myself because I am a buyer and seller, but the best practice for you will benefit you in the end. Besides ebay is a huge marketplace where everyone in the world knows the name. I personally prefer making deals on the Forums I belong to, but I can only access 10% of the people there.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

valve37
Community Member
To bid sucessfully you need to implement my Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) nspired bidding system. It's called the double clutch bidding system named after Ali's double clutch shuffle he often used while boxing. Position three evenly split screens of the targeted auction, one showing bids if any, and the other two with your bids ready to be released. How many times have you wished to have had the time to bid once more and a little higher? At the 15 second time left in the auction fire off your first bid. At about 10 seconds left refresh the incoming bid screen and if you are not the winner so far fire off you second bid which should be 1 or 2 increments higher than your first. To be double sure you can fire off your second bid anyways, won't cost you a nickle more to do so. Biddies here will argue bid once, bid your max and do it as late as you can. Doesn't always work, the double clutch system has a better track record!
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If you bid a lot , it drives up the price .  By sniper bidding it allows you to get something at a lower price . E-bay wants you to bid often so the price goes up and they get a larger cut for the sale . Dont get sucked in . Set a limit and bid it at the end and get stuff cheaper !!!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I guess call me a sniper then. I see no sense in running up the bid on something I want. Feels like I'm bidding against myself. Plus, when I'm "sniping", I'm fully aware that I am up against another dozen snipers as well. It really comes down to who is willing to pay the most. I would rather not give other bidders time to hum and haw about whether or not they are willing to pay more.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hello 'tavislow',

<< there should be a rule that you cant bid if you have not bid before the 5 minutes left mark,>>

Well now, I'd have to agree that ebay auctions are perhaps not the best place for 'totally laid back' bidders.

For everyone else, though, sniping is where the fun is! Smiley Happy 

Have a look at this link about getting out-sniped.  There are other related links on the page, like the one

explaining bid increments and so on:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/outbid.html#avoiding

If you cannot be around at the last second of the auction, there are sniping services you can use

to do it for you, -- for a fee, of course.

It takes a time or two to get onto sniping, but once you master it, - it's a real blast.  That is, of course,

if you don't take it too seriously. 

Decide how much you are happy to pay (price + shipping), - the absolute highest you can go.

Bid as late as possible.  Bidding late prevents others from pushing up your bids, - or outbidding you.

Then, if you win you are happy with the price.  If you lose, the other bidder paid too much.

<< some people are going to say that Ebay is so good everything about Ebay rocks>>

Hahaha, not on these boards, they're not.   . . .  Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 9
latest reply