Ebay gift certificates..

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
This may be a great way to give a partial refund to a buyer without it costing anything in paypal fees to receive. Now this would not work in all cases of course as if a buyer feels they are entitled to a partial refund for whatever reason, they would want cash not a certificate. I can think of a few reasons to buy these certificates.

Buyer grossly overpays freight and does not ask for combined shipping. Giving a $5.00 for example certificate as a "thank you" would go a long way.

Buyer sends an email saying they will "keep the item" but they were not "thrilled" with the transaction etc....
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Ebay gift certificates..

mahsauction
Community Member
Great idea
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

deltone
Community Member
I'm not really familiar with these certificates. Is the purchase price dollar for dollar?

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with them as if they're the same price (a dollar for a dollar) then I'd rather just send the money to the person. The certificate has no assurances he'll use them purchasing one of my items. I'm just wondering what the benefit for a seller is.

Like I said, I know NOTHING about these things so maybe I'm all wrong about this.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

mahsauction
Community Member
Check here:

https://giftcertificates.ebay.com/overview.html

From what I read, it appears to be you give $25US gift certificate, the receiver gets $25.00US credit on Paypal to use as they wish on another Ebay purchase.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

deltone
Community Member
Thanks for the link.

I really don't think I like the idea of these. Ebay makes a killing but from a seller's persepective, what is in it for me if I give someone one of these as a bonus or whatever.

I sell dvd's. I could give a buyer one of these as a bonus or whatever and that person could use it to purchase a dvd that I sell, from a competitor. I guess to each their own. Anyhow, thanks again for the link!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

mahsauction
Community Member
I think label's original idea was to use gift certificates as a means of giving a partial refund back to a buyer without the buyer incurring a Paypal charge.

I agree if you give it as a bonus, there is no guarentee that the buyer will come back to buy from you.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

There was a thread on the Stores board a while back about DYI Store gift certificates - generate your own, buyers purchase them as gifts. The eBay GC pretty much kills that idea, unless you discount the price - ie a $25 certificate costs the buyer $20. It might boost after-Christmas sales. It would be nice to have small-denomination certificates to send as a thank-you or an apology.
Ann
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Great idea.
Create you own gift certificates and include one with every purchase someone makes (say 10% of the value of what you sold).

That might encourage a loyal customer to purchase from you again and again and again, using your certificates. Some people, if they purchase frequently could accumulate enough to actually get something for nothing however you have already made the profit in selling that person 5-10 times before.

The only problem would be in their sending you the certificates. If they mailed MOs that would be okay but if paying via Paypal, a problem.

You could keep a running total in a data base for each customer. The problem would be if someone used all their certificates and then tried to use them again.

Anyway, if it increases your business, then go for it. It is certainly something that I will think about further.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

deltone
Community Member
Now, I do like that idea Malcolm. I think what one could do is send them an e-certificate, with a # on it. There would be a bit of bookeeping involved to keep track of the thing, but I don't think it would need to be difficult.

I like that idea because the person is encouragd to come back to you, the original seller, instead of some other seller.

On a very basic spreadsheet you couldjust record a number associated with a particular id and once it's redeemed, you would just notate it on the spreadsheet. It would be pretty easy I'm sure.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Ebay gift certificates..

mahsauction
Community Member
If you use an account program like Quickbooks, you can give a credit to a customer and they credit stays on their account.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply