Ebay numbers are in decline What Now John Donahoe??

tea_past_times
Community Member
By: Ina Steiner(www.auctionbytes.com)
Tue Apr 22 2008 23:42:38

In preparing a Newsflash article about eBay metrics, I calculated the percent change in Page Views and Unique Audience for January, February and March 2008, year-over-year, from data provided by Nielsen Online.

Page Views

January: Down 10.54 percent year over year

February: Down 10.69 percent year over year

March: Down 12.82 percent year over year

Unique Audience

January: Down 9.57 percent year over year

February: Down 4.75 percent year over year

March: Down 6.31 percent year over year

The decline in page views has to be of concern to eBay - an almost 13 percent drop in page views in March from the previous year.

I was curious if the numbers might hint at any boycott effect. Looking at the numbers month-to-month, it shows a 13.21 percent drop in page views from January 2008 to February, and a 6.48 percent increase from February to March. There was also a 10.85 percent drop in time spent per person from January 2008 to February. It's always tricky looking at month-to-month numbers, as seasonal effects can cause swings.

The raw monthly data from January 2007 through March 2008 - including time spent on site per person - is included in the Newsflash article, which will be published later this week.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

tea_past_times
Community Member
C'mon feel the noise!!!
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Can you spell R E C E S S I O N in the USA and not BO Y C O T T .
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi marsu450,

I don't think that tea has noticed that people who live in the States are hurting and are hurting big time. My side of the family lives there as well as many lifelong friends and their pain in real.

Thanks for your comment! It's nice knowing that someone is paying attention.

Have a good one!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
In the collectible market, there will always be cycles.
Early collectors have some/most, if not all of the early material- and the new material is readily available.
So- once you have purchased the item- a SPECIFIC one- why would you purchase another?
In order to keep the market going new collector must enter the bidding competition.
Supply and demand take their place in the market.

HOWEVER- when the sell runs dry- and NO ONE has any money- the level of activity quickly falls.

We have maintained a level of inventory to satisfy our perceived customer's needs (DOZENS per item). At this point- NEW inventory is obtained pretty much as is required for present auctions- a FEW at a time.
When the market collapses- we hope to have little or no inventory on hand. If the market sustains itself- we will maintain business as is now usual. HOWEVER- no LARGE INVENTORY purchases, on an if come, when come basis.
Money in the BANK is important. INVENTORY on a shelf gathering dust is not.

eBay will continue as the MARKET dictates. We here are too few to have any influence on the BIGGER picture.

This is a case where minding one's own business (not eBay's!)- and doing it well, is the best course of action!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
HOWEVER- when the sell runs dry- and NO ONE has any money- the level of activity quickly falls.

SHOULD READ "WELL", not 'sell'- SORRY!
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

people who live in the States are hurting and are hurting big time

Anyone has noticed that everything used to be cheaper in US. Our societies are thriving while people who generate our wealth are starving. But China is saying enough and we already observe rising prices from Asia. This trend will continue until Chinese lifestyle will match that of surrounding countries. That will result in our lifestyle to come down half-way.

My theory is that Canadian (and other) governments anticipated situation like this and created perception of more expensive lifestyle by unnecessary taxing and piling financial surplus. When time is coming to give back, we see GST dropping every year to ease the recession. US gov. did no create any reserves during good years, they simply blew them away.

US citizens used to enjoy higher salaries, lower prices and taxes. With USD coming down, their purchasing power is somewhat similar to ours now. That means they are not poor, they are just not richer than we are anymore.

I used to criticize consumer-driven society that thrives in North America. This is IMO not sustainable without destroying the planet in the process. Whatever is happening to the economy of USA (and ours) is IMHO good for the planet as whole. We will eventually become less obsessed with buying more and more stuff that we don't need and enjoy life some more. Built-in obsolescence bothers me a lot.

You see, I lived my first 16 years in communist country. We did not have too much stuff, and you had to save for long time to afford a car, but I don't think in average that people here and now are happier than people then. It's all about perception.

Sorry for the rant, I am just trying to say "prepare for the worse".
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
dipmicro- I grew up at a time when shopping in the US meant bargains on clothing, and linens AND FOOD!!!!! So many things MADE IN USA were less expensive in the 1960's, and 70's, than they were in Canada.
It didn't matter that the exchange was for the most part in favour of a higher US DOLLAR- though most people forget when NIXON was around- the Canadian DOLLAR was worth more than the US one.
Then came a STRONG US DOLLAR- making things so expensive in the US, that a whole generation of cross-border shoppers did not happen.
Now- with near parity- don't be fooled, the BEAVER has awaken- and the myriad number of Canadians flocking over the border is evidenced by the sheer volume of CANADIAN licence plates found at any near US/Canada border town.

HOWEVER- anyone who cares to look at an online flyer for TARGET, or WAL-MART- or a grocery chain like WEGMANS or TOPS will clearly see that US prices in many case ARE NOT LESS EXPENSIVE than shopping in Canada!
(I am in the US 10-12 days a month)
WEGMANS- COKE 2L 3/$3.33 + 0.15 Deposit

WALMART CANADA COKE $2.97 12x355mL Cans
WALMART USA COKE $3.33 12x12oz Cans (PLUS 0.60 deposit)
PLEASE- anyone who shops can make a quicker comparison, as it is difficult to find identical products advertised at the same time.

For years I did not step foot over the US border- no need.
Now- I spend about a third of my time there.
So, with so much time logged in- I think I can say things aren't what they used to be. So many items that were once "PROUDLY made in the United States" simply DO NOT exist! Whether it's shopping at TARGET- or WAL-MART, the proliferation of CHINESE goods is pretty much what one would find at ZELLERS, or any other Canadian store.
Though to be fair- SEARS US stocks many items made in Canada- including men's clothing of all things!
Ironically- you'll even find pharmaceutical products from SWEDEN, or ISRAEL on the shelves of US stores- as well as Pakistan, Mauritius, and countries even I can't remember how to spell that make clothing.

I remember been taught one thing to be aware of, as a sign of an economy tanking.
Look to the number of DOLLAR stores in a given area.
Then- look to the number of VACANT stores, and store closing.
IF- some of those stores are DOLLAR stores- prepare for the worst!

If a DOLLAR Store can't survive, then EVERYONE IS IN TROUBLE.

The US economy is in BIG trouble! Even with the limited area from Niagara Falls New York- to Buffalo- the number of VACANT LARGE store locations is numerous. MANY have been vacant for years! Some malls have as many vacant locations, as those occupied. And even the occupied ones have seen better days. As for well paying jobs- just having a job in the US is a blessing! Taxes are a mixed bag- some higher, some lower. TOLL ROADS- and indirect taxation, like on lotteries (exempt in Canada) have their own impact. And let's not get started on Heath Care!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I remember being taught one thing to be aware of, as a sign of an economy tanking.
Look to the number of DOLLAR stores in a given area.
Then- look to the number of VACANT stores, and store closings.
IF- some of those stores are DOLLAR stores- prepare for the worst!

(It's 4:09 am here- so my spelling isn't what it should be- sorry.)
Message 9 of 9
latest reply