Estimating shipping cost

How do you know what to charge for shipping when you're listing an item?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Estimating shipping cost

nan*55
Community Member

I weigh it and measure packaging and go to the Canada Post web site ,where you can input the numbers to get a price.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

jnlot
Community Member

Why don't you just do what most of the sellers do and pull a grossly inflated no. out of a hat. If you check out other sellers listings youll see things that used to ship for $5.00 and still make a buck or two on it are being required to pay up to $30.00 with an average of $15.00.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

@jnlot wrote:

Why don't you just do what most of the sellers do and pull a grossly inflated no. out of a hat. If you check out other sellers listings youll see things that used to ship for $5.00 and still make a buck or two on it are being required to pay up to $30.00 with an average of $15.00.

I don't think this sort of cynical advice is helpful for a new seller.  If you check this Seller board, you'll see that most of the serious and experienced Canadian sellers offer shipping that is at the worst, no less than actual cost, and at best, free.  The majority try to stay somewhere between the two ends of the spectrum.  The GSP in the United States is another matter -- it is inflating shipping costs, but not through the fault of the seller. 

Believe me, I struggle with shipping costs.  Not only do I not make any money on shipping, but I "subsidize" my buyers' shipping costs and I pay shipping FVFs in many instances.  I will not charge my customers the true cost of shipping -- I just can't justify the outrageously high amounts.  The flat rate shipping costs shown in my listings are generally 2 or 3 years old, i.e. lower than today's rates.  Others are deliberately discounted by me.  

To the OP -- You asked a serious question, and deserve a serious answer, one of which was indicated above -- measure and weigh it, then to the Canada Post site to get a rate for the place it's being shipped.  

From a wider perspective, as a Canadian seller,  if you plan to continue selling on eBay, it's important to develop a strategy that works for your buyers, and for the items you sell.  In the long run, offering lower shipping rates than the actual cost of shipping will serve you better, in happier buyers, happier FB/DSRs and better turnover.  You may also get some repeat customers.  If you can afford to offer free domestic shipping on some items, do it.  

Read these Seller boards to see what other experienced sellers are doing about shipping issues -- just type in "shipping" in the search box, and you'll find lots of threads.  I'd recommend reading the advice from the most experienced sellers first, as there tend to be a lot of general rants about shipping that aren't terribly helpful.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

If you want to be able to do it independently of your computer, the postal rate tables are in printable form here... http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp?ecid=murl07001139
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

...as there tend to be a lot of general rants about shipping that aren't terribly helpful.

The onus is on us to do our research regarding Postal Rates & how they can work for us.

Sometimes we are able add the extra postal costs to our item price, sometimes not.  

If the margins are not there remember what Pierre has mentioned over the years " Some Items Are Not Worth Selling Online."

I would imagine the most of us have no choice but to ship at below cost to compete with our competitors USPS rates.

Just a fact of life on eBay. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

With the exception of items that are going to go LetterPost, which cannot be printed out from Paypal, all you need to do is weigh and measure the item (including the packaging you plan to use). Also choose the service you plan to use.

Then choose Calculated Shipping when you fill your Sell Your Item form.

The customer will see the cost of shipping to his postal/zip code.

You can check this by entering  K0A 0A6 , 90210 or X1A 2R3  in the appropriate spot on your listing's Shipping page. These will give you shipping rates respectively to Parliament Hill Canada, Beverly Hills California, and the Government Building in Yellowknife NT.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Estimating shipping cost

0-250 grams is $7.80 to the USA and around $10 worldwide

251-500 grams is $10.35 to the USA and around $20 worldwide

501-1K is $15.56 to the USA and around $40 worldwide.

Canada is broken up into east and west with the MB-ON border the change point. I can send most of what I sell for around $10, except for Newfoundland and smaller centres where the parcel gets handled extra times. I flat rate Canada at $10.

I flat rate the USA at $8-$10-$16.

I flat rate the world $10-$20-$40.

For me this works very well. I have had the same shipping rates for 2011, 2012, 2013.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 8
latest reply