Everything up at CP January 17th

shoplineca
Community Member
Expedited, Express Post, Purolator you name it, its going up January 17th. I would have received my packet sooner except CP mailed it to my old address that I changed 1 1/2 months ago (could I expect anything else out of them).

I just checked a couple of the rate increases (they vary) and are as much as 29% increase over last year's prices. I cant figure it out at all. There isnt any general 5 or 10% increase, the increase varies with each shipping zone and can be a 4% increase for some zones to a 29% increase for other zones.

Had it been a simple flat increase, I could easily adjust or figure out what my average shipping cost will be however, typical of a Crown Corporation, they had to complicate the whole thing and vary the increases by zones (and there are 42 zones).

No comment on their ability to put through another increase after last years increase.

Malcolm

US Expedited and Expedited is only seeing about a 1.6% increase overall.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

shoplineca
Community Member
I would like to know what I am paying for in the new prices. I used to be able to send parcels via Express Post for next business day delivery.

I sent something to a fellow Power Seller in Toronto yesterday and it didnt arrive today.

Unstinking believable nerve to raise their prices.

I hope others that are contemplating giving a price increase in January are reading this and getting the message.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
Fortunately I am close enough to the border that I do not have to rely on CP. If I did, I could not compete with US sellers on ebay. I would wind it up.

I truly believe that CP is being used to fund government projects, just like the EI fund is. This government is shuffling money around from Peter to Paul so much the auditors can't trace it all.

And it is at the expense of small business like us. I have been studying Economics. I can see what Canada Post does. They can raise their prices, as a monopoly, knowing that "x" number of people will leave the market, but "x" number of people will pay the higher prices. As long as the higher prices offset the number of people leaving the market, it makes sense for CP. THe problem is that all the people that leave the market is a loss for the country as a whole.

But unfortunately Canada has decided that an Economist running the country is too "scary". Better to let the lawyers handle it.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

scouttech-outfitters
Community Member
I just got this package in the mail today!
Great! I just negotiated a 14% off counter rates with CP and now it looks like it was all for nothing!

RD - Do you bring packages across the border and ship through USPS or UPS? Ive been thinking about doing the same sometime in the near future...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
I use USPS because mine are all very small. I have shipped a couple UPS that were very heavy. If most of your parcels are heavy then I would definitely look at UPS.

Rob
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Anyone in Southwestern Ontario shipping from the US?

Ann
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Rob
I 100% agree about the shuffling of money. At the same time they need some better forensic auditors to do the tracing. I worked with some senior CA auditors who were going to take over from me when I was doing a forensic audit in a legal trial and I was NOT impressed. I turned down my other contract and stayed on to help the client.

It is more than a job being a forensic auditor, it is the thrill of the hunt, the finding of something and then the kill.

Yesterday a CP Express Post delivery guy pulls up to my neighbour's to deliver a package. After ringing the bell a couple of times at the house, he asks if he can leave the package with me. I look at the address and he is on the wrong street.

... and we wonder how things ge lost in the mail.

Malcolm
Message 7 of 7
latest reply