Express Post and Insurance

I'm trying to ship a package valued at $2,800 to the States.

I'm shipping via Express Post so that I have signature confirmation and I'd also like to insure.

When I go to print the label it says that maximum allowed coverage is $5,000 but when I actually try to buy the insurance it only allows me to buy up to $1,000 insurance.

Does anyone know why the contradiction?

Is there a better solution that spitting into three packages @$1,000 each and/or buying TPI or shipping by an upgraded method?

Also, it seems as if paypal shipping doesn't offer a method over Express Post.

Does that seem right?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

On CP's website, bottom of the page, it says: Coverage Details: Up to $100.00 included. Maximum $1,000.00 @ $3.50 per $100.00..

Depends of the size and weight for service options. On the page I am on, with the random numbers I filled in, I see, ascending: Expedited, Xpresspost, then Priority.

Have you explored couriers?

Photobucket
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Couriers are such a PITA coming in this direction they're probably just as bad going in the other.  Can you imagine an American getting nailed with taxes?   Ain't a pretty picture and I'd like to avoid that mess.

For some reason I don't have the Priority option but even so it seems insurance only goes to $1,000 with priority as well (checked the CPO site).

Paypal shipping claims insurance is up to $5,000 until you actually try to do it.

$1,000 is a very low amount and I'm sure I've insured higher in the past.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Did one up on Purolator.com. For ground, making up dimensions and weight, valued at $5000, I get $259, and yes it looks like it is accepting the $5K. Overnight varies from $439 to $527.

There is a valuation surcharge in those prices of $220. Not sure what that means.

My guess? CP up to $1K and over that Purlator, or what ever courier you choose.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

You may want to look into one of the 3rd party insurers. When I used to sell higher end, higher priced goods here, I used them and always found it easy and the one time I had to make a claim, it was super-smooth/. Check out "Insure Post" for the information and pricing.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Yes, that's what I meant by TPI.  Still........ I'd prefer CPO but more and more I'm leaning towards insure post.

Paypal shipping is confusing because of the way they state that they will insure up to $5,000 until you actually try to do it.

Insure Post has always come through for me in the past, but still a little nervous about it because at higher amounts I just have to think it gets a little dicey.

There is really nothing forcing them to pay up if they choose not to do so.......... is there?

What was the amount of your claim?

I've had claims in the hundreds but never in the thousands.

(Just checked...... even they have limit of $1,000.)

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

My one (only) claim with them was in the $800 range.,  I provided the info they needed and had a check in my mail in about 10 days. I think (but not sure) if you phone then, they may be able to give you a verbal quote for over the $1000 insurance they show., This may have changed since I last used them 3-4 years ago

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

The up to $5000 insurance with CP is just for domestic mail.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Shipping/shipping/CPC/Popup_ShipCPCHelp&WoWoFlag=of...

Additional Coverage is available for a fee, up to $5,000.00 CAD for domestic items, and up to $1,000.00 CAD for USA and International items.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the help.

Just when I thought I knew all I needed to know about shipping.  Not!  

Decided to break into two packages and send via Xpresspost and insure each for $1,000 plus $400 with TPI.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I might over-think this, but, they are most likely going to have to pay some sort of import taxes. I am not altogether sure that splitting the parcel up is the best technique.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

I might over-think this, but, they are most likely going to have to pay some sort of import taxes. I am not altogether sure that splitting the parcel up is the best technique.

Splitting the package into 2 just seemed like the best option.  Couriers are just too expensive with nothing to gain for the extra money spent.

The second choice was to ship as one and insure with insure post for $1,000 and Xpresspost for $1,000 and just forget about insuring the rest.

Today I learned that there is no reasonable way to ship high priced items out of Canada with insurance.  

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

"Splitting the package into 2 just seemed like the best option. "

May I suggest you check the PayPal Seller Protection very carefully (if important to you)  I suspect splitting the transaction into more than one parcel voids or reduces the PayPal protection.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I was thinking the same as Pierre.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Splitting the package into 2 just seemed like the best option. "

May I suggest you check the PayPal Seller Protection very carefully (if important to you)  I suspect splitting the transaction into more than one parcel voids or reduces the PayPal protection.

I suppose I should have added above that the first thing I did when I realized I couldn't insure for the full amount was to call paypal and ask about seller protection.

They assured me that I'm covered as long as I get signature confirmation etc.

In any case, I considered that as well.

As I said:  There is no perfect solution and I think I found the best compromise.......... and if anyone knows of another other than couriers I'd love to know.  (That's why I initially posted here.)

P.S.  (((I have learned that in the future I'll request several payments when I can split the order .............. that was mistake but I had no idea yesterday and didn't want to redo the whole deal.

Moreover, all of this leaves me wondering what to do in the future if the shipment can't be split into two. )))))

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Then, you ship by courier. They accept higher dollar shipments. They have a surcharge for increased value. That means, to me, that it is insured as the shipment value is their liability.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 22
latest reply

Just called paypal once again to make sure.

I was assured once again that as long as I have the tracking numbers etc. I'm covered by seller protection for each package.

Elmwood:  Couriers are problematic for so many reasons.  Trust Me:  my buyer, who spent so much time on the phone with me to arrive at a price she could live with would absolutely flip if she were asked to pay those kinds of charges when the item arrived.

As far as taxes and/or duty go with the PO when shipping to the States, that would be a first so I won't worry about it.

Could happen, but I doubt it.  

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I sell the odd radio in that price range. You just have to let 'er go, pay the $1,000 insurance and hold yr breath. I sell two or three a year and have never had a problem.

If you use a carrier and don't let them pack it - their insurance will not cough up the money.

Plus your buyer will not be happy with the $250 plus in brokerage fees.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

I sell the odd radio in that price range. You just have to let 'er go, pay the $1,000 insurance and hold yr breath. I sell two or three a year and have never had a problem.

If you use a carrier and don't let them pack it - their insurance will not cough up the money.

Yes, I think that's the way as well.

I'm getting more repeat buyers and they won't be back if they have couriers to contend with and moving up to higher priced items on other sites so this was a good lesson.

Also, it should be possible to get insurance up to $2,000 or so.

$1,000 Canadian via the CPO plus $1,000 US via TPI.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@rosscd57 wrote:

I'm getting more repeat buyers and they won't be back if they have couriers to contend with and moving up to higher priced items on other sites so this was a good lesson.

- I'm getting more repeat buyers and they won't be back if they have couriers to contend with and moving up to higher priced items on other sites so this was a good lesson - Americans need to learn that lesson.

- Also, it should be possible to get insurance up to $2,000 or so. - I agree, that makes little sense.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

@rosscd57 wrote:

- I'm getting more repeat buyers and they won't be back if they have couriers to contend with and moving up to higher priced items on other sites so this was a good lesson - Americans need to learn that lesson.

- Also, it should be possible to get insurance up to $2,000 or so. - I agree, that makes little sense.

I have to ask because both of your comments left me wondering what you're trying to convey.

You seem to be saying that Americans need to learn the lesson about how to ship higher priced items to the States with as much coverage as possible.  Why would they need to learn that?  That's my job.

Also: Are you saying that you don't understand how to insure for $2,000 (i.e. by insuring the first $1,000 with CPO and the second with TPI) or are you saying that you agree?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply