February 4th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

We're back again for our weekly chat. Please go ahead and start posting at your convenience, we will join you shortly around 1 PM Eastern.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Hi Raphael!

2014/2015 question of the year!

Cart disconnect between ebay.com and ebay.ca

We deserve sold answers to this question, inconclusive and misleading responses.

For sellers that use calculated shipping are you going to provide the necessary tools to complete the transfer of listings to ebay.com without any issues? If you have the tools to do this than there is no reason the cart issue can`t be resolved.

We can’t make buyers aware of the work around before they try to make multiple purchases we are not telepathic. We are tired of providing technical support for buyers, this is not our job. We pay very high fees for these features. We can`t convince buyers to contact ebay and sit on the phone for our benefit. The “workarounds” are not solution, they are confirmation that there is a cart disconnect between ebay.com and ebay.ca.

Are we going to get compensated for additional final value fees on shipping and additional PayPal transaction fees because items have to be paid for separately?

This is an outrage. Whose decision was it to implement the cart system that is effect without testing and troubleshooting it beforehand? There is no doubt a large ecommerce platform like Ebay has the ability and resources to promptly fix this issue.

It is disturbing to know that visual changes are higher priority than such a damaging impact on our sales and leading buyers to believe and show our items are unavailable. We pay you for item visibility and they are showing as unavailable? My sales are the lowest since this issue in all the years I have been on ebay, nearly 50%.

Remove the cart completely or fix it.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

hi

I would just like  to say I have put alot of time into writing up descriptions for my auctions, and find it so annoying when you do have promotions, you decide that is fixed or auction. and cannot relist items i have put so much time and energy in to, they would get deleted, when you only run promotions once every 3 weeks that are good for what I want to do. Your taking the control from the sellers again and let them decid which method they prefer. also why is not everyone invited, thats not fair to people who have thousands of items that will be deleted over time, and do nto want the stress of turbo listing, has problems alot.

why cant you just let every one list for free or aleast run one every week, 50 free items are not enough and stores just are not worth the prices we would have to pay for listing fees. Why people sell for 99 cents, i cant understand, if you only get one bid , its not worth time and hassle to run to post office for 99 cents once you take fees and pay pal takes fees, its a waste of my time.

I have not bought anything much , since they added the globel shipping, its to high, should not be even allowed, the rates are less if they just ship from there local post office. I just get so stressed out with the rules and loss of control, thats its soon time to give up and let the big item sellers take over. I guess us little guys are not worth your time, we complain for the last 5 years and stuck by , hopeing things will change, but not much. Adding free photos was to your advantage anyway, we sell more , if people can see what their buying, so that was advantage to your company as well.

My daughter wrote up thousands or auctions, taking days a because you use to have free promotions at least once a week, where we choose how to sell and got invited every time, Now I know of 2 friends that get invited and dont even sell on ebay, while my daughters stuff , gets put on hold and or deleted, and yes when she re list stuff, she sell a lot of high priced items she has had on for more then a year, if given the chance to relist, please give us back some control on here as sellers. thank you for your time and hopefully will listen to some of us today.

spazz

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

Hi Raphael!

We deserve sold answers to this question, inconclusive and misleading responses.

For sellers that use calculated shipping are you going to provide the necessary tools to complete the transfer of listings to ebay.com without any issues? If you have the tools to do this than there is no reason the cart issue can`t be resolved.

We can’t make buyers aware of the work around before they try to make multiple purchases we are not telepathic. We are tired of providing technical support for buyers, this is not our job. We pay very high fees for these features. We can`t convince buyers to contact ebay and sit on the phone for our benefit. The “workarounds” are not solution, they are confirmation that there is a cart disconnect between ebay.com and ebay.ca.

Are we going to get compensated for additional final value fees on shipping and additional PayPal transaction fees because items have to be paid for separately?

This is an outrage. Whose decision was it to implement the cart system that is effect without testing and troubleshooting it beforehand? There is no doubt a large ecommerce platform like Ebay has the ability and resources to promptly fix this issue.

It is disturbing to know that visual changes are higher priority than such a damaging impact on our sales and leading buyers to believe and show our items are unavailable. We pay you for item visibility and they are showing as unavailable? My sales are the lowest since this issue in all the years I have been on ebay, nearly 50%.

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

I totally understand the frustration you may be feeling with regards to the US shopping cart. Trust me, we feel it too here at eBay Canada. For some background on what brought about this situation, I invite you to read Rodney's post from 2 weeks ago.

To answer your specific questions:

You should note that as a Canadian seller, you can never use Calculated shipping on eBay.com unless your inventory gets shipped from a US location. It is far easier for Canadian sellers to list with flat rate shipping when listing on eBay.com. Unfortunately it is impossible to transfer .ca listings to .com, listings need to be created from scratch.

Unfortunately eBay doesn't offer FVF adjustments on partially refunded shipping costs at this time. As for PayPal fees, I'm not qualified to speak to that. Please ask PayPal directly.

Rodney's post for which I gave you the link earlier speaks to this perfectly. Just to be clear: the US shopping cart works perfectly for all US-based transactions (US seller to US buyer) which is by far what is it used for most of the time. The US cart was well tested for the market it was designed to serve. Everyone here agrees that we need to get the US cart team to make the necessary modifications to allow Canadian items into the cart, but as Rodney explained, getting this prioritized has been really difficult.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Good afternoon,

I want to know if we (cdn sellers) will get the same exposure on ebay.uk ?... see next !

eBay Makes Changes to International Site Visibility

By Ina Steiner,EcommerceBytes.com,February 02, 2015

‘’eBay sellers in the UK got some good news this month - they no longer have to pay an extra fee to get international exposure in certain cases - though how that plays to sellers in the U.S. is another matter. eBay UK removed the International Site Visibility upgrade option for certain categories and is instead automatically showing listings on eBay.com and eBay Canada…’’

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

eBay No Hassle returns

We sell all our items to USA & Canada with "FREE" shipping.

I do accept buyer fault returns with a 20% restock to cover/partially cover our original shipping cost to the buyer. (Policy is on shipping page of all our listings)

The new No Hassle Return does not seem to allow for this "policy"

I have refunded both buyers purchase price less the original shipping cost or  less 20% (Subtracting the lower amount)   I also message the buyers with their refund amount and explanation, so far with no apparent backlash. 

The eBay Sales Manager still shows two refunds pending with the withheld amount.*

So the other day I escalated the return to a case by using the  "Ask eBay to step in option"  with the reason of "other" an put the following in the details box.

Our refund Policy on Buyer fault returns is the item is subject up to a 20% restocking to cover our original cost of shipping to the buyer. I should not be out money because the buyer decided they no longer need these custom made to order decals. Our original cost of shipping in this case was $XX.XX CAD, I have refund the buyer all but $XX.XX USD in concordance with my return policy which is stated on all our listing. If you need further clarification please call me at 705-XXX-XXXX (Greg)

a few hours later I received this message from eBay

Hi decal-fx,

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of US $X.XX without any impact to you. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

You can view the details of the case in the Resolution Centre.

* The above method has closed the returns now.  Is this the proper way to handle this situation?

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@spazzlady99 wrote:

hi

I would just like  to say I have put alot of time into writing up descriptions for my auctions, and find it so annoying when you do have promotions, you decide that is fixed or auction. and cannot relist items i have put so much time and energy in to, they would get deleted, when you only run promotions once every 3 weeks that are good for what I want to do. Your taking the control from the sellers again and let them decid which method they prefer. also why is not everyone invited, thats not fair to people who have thousands of items that will be deleted over time, and do nto want the stress of turbo listing, has problems alot.

why cant you just let every one list for free or aleast run one every week, 50 free items are not enough and stores just are not worth the prices we would have to pay for listing fees. Why people sell for 99 cents, i cant understand, if you only get one bid , its not worth time and hassle to run to post office for 99 cents once you take fees and pay pal takes fees, its a waste of my time.

I have not bought anything much , since they added the globel shipping, its to high, should not be even allowed, the rates are less if they just ship from there local post office. I just get so stressed out with the rules and loss of control, thats its soon time to give up and let the big item sellers take over. I guess us little guys are not worth your time, we complain for the last 5 years and stuck by , hopeing things will change, but not much. Adding free photos was to your advantage anyway, we sell more , if people can see what their buying, so that was advantage to your company as well.

My daughter wrote up thousands or auctions, taking days a because you use to have free promotions at least once a week, where we choose how to sell and got invited every time, Now I know of 2 friends that get invited and dont even sell on ebay, while my daughters stuff , gets put on hold and or deleted, and yes when she re list stuff, she sell a lot of high priced items she has had on for more then a year, if given the chance to relist, please give us back some control on here as sellers. thank you for your time and hopefully will listen to some of us today.

spazz

Hello Spazz,

Let me start by advising yo on how to streamline your listing management. Selling Manager is a free selling tool that lets you take advantage of a very powerful feature: Draft listings. In Selling Manager you can save as many drafts as you like, and copy from these drafts when you want to use them to create and publish listings. Working this way would allow you to save yourself the trouble to have to re-write your descriptions.

Read more here: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sm-getting-started.html

Regarding the promos, the rules are set according to what areas of the general eBay business need to get stimulated. I'm sorry you're not always getting invited or that some of the promos are less likely to fit your business model, but this is how promos are run and this isn't likely to change.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Also with this No Hassle returns, I had two buyers with items that were sent the the wrong items.
I immediately reshipped them the corrected items.
Both buyers have  now received the correct items & have left positive FB & Good DSRs.

I escalated one of those return with ebay in an effort to close the return now the customer is satisfied.  
A couple of hours later I received this message from eBay

Hi decal-fx,

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a full refund of US $X.XX without any impact to you. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.

That makes no sense....  The customer has what he paid for and is happy, I guess now he is REALLY happy as he now has his money back too??
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

eBay No Hassle returns

We sell all our items to USA & Canada with "FREE" shipping.

I do accept buyer fault returns with a 20% restock to cover/partially cover our original shipping cost to the buyer. (Policy is on shipping page of all our listings)

The new No Hassle Return does not seem to allow for this "policy"

I have refunded both buyers purchase price less the original shipping cost or  less 20% (Subtracting the lower amount)   I also message the buyers with their refund amount and explanation, so far with no apparent backlash. 

The eBay Sales Manager still shows two refunds pending with the withheld amount.*

So the other day I escalated the return to a case by using the  "Ask eBay to step in option"  with the reason of "other" an put the following in the details box.

Our refund Policy on Buyer fault returns is the item is subject up to a 20% restocking to cover our original cost of shipping to the buyer. I should not be out money because the buyer decided they no longer need these custom made to order decals. Our original cost of shipping in this case was $XX.XX CAD, I have refund the buyer all but $XX.XX USD in concordance with my return policy which is stated on all our listing. If you need further clarification please call me at 705-XXX-XXXX (Greg)

a few hours later I received this message from eBay

Hi decal-fx,

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of US $X.XX without any impact to you. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

* The above method has closed the returns now.  Is this the proper way to handle this situation?

Hi decal-fx,

Sometimes eBay may decide to refund a buyer’s purchase even if the issue was not under the seller’s control. In cases like this one the seller (you) won’t suffer a defect or be put on the hook to pay for the refund. This is part of the “hassle free” promise of the eBay Money Back Guarantee, which aims to ensure buyers keep coming back to eBay.

To draw a parallel, this is just like in retail. Sometimes going a bit above and beyond for a buyer is the right thing to do in the grand scheme of things.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

Also with this No Hassle returns, I had two buyers with items that were sent the the wrong items.
I immediately reshipped them the corrected items.
Both buyers have  now received the correct items & have left positive FB & Good DSRs.

I escalated on of those return with ebay in an effort to close the return now the customer is satisfied.  
A couple of hours later I received this message from eBay

Hi decal-fx,

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a full refund of US $X.XX without any impact to you. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

That makes no sense....  The customer has what he paid for and is happy, I guess now he is REALLY happy as he now has his money back too??

Just to avoid further confusion, this has nothing to do with Hassle Free Returns. HFR is merely the integration of return shipping labels which buyers can access directly from the site, and that is only available on eBay.com, to US buyers for items from US sellers.

What policy is at play here is the eBay Money Back Guarantee. And you're exactly right when you say it aims to make buyers extra happy, which in the end will keep them coming, and hopefully buy from you some more 🙂

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@rockp5233 wrote:

Good afternoon,

I want to know if we (cdn sellers) will get the same exposure on ebay.uk ?... see next !

eBay Makes Changes to International Site Visibility

By Ina Steiner,EcommerceBytes.com,February 02, 2015

‘’eBay sellers in the UK got some good news this month - they no longer have to pay an extra fee to get international exposure in certain cases - though how that plays to sellers in the U.S. is another matter. eBay UK removed the International Site Visibility upgrade option for certain categories and is instead automatically showing listings on eBay.com and eBay Canada…’’

Hi rockp5233,

Unfortunately Canadian items are not impacted by this. For now, if you want extra exposure on eBay UK, you will have to purchase International Site Visibility.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

My question is really  "Is this the proper way to handle this situation?"

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi decal-fx,

Sometimes eBay may decide to refund a buyer’s purchase even if the issue was not under the seller’s control. In cases like this one the seller (you) won’t suffer a defect or be put on the hook to pay for the refund. This is part of the “hassle free” promise of the eBay Money Back Guarantee, which aims to ensure buyers keep coming back to eBay.

To draw a parallel, this is just like in retail. Sometimes going a bit above and beyond for a buyer is the right thing to do in the grand scheme of things.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi Raphael!

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage,

I totally understand the frustration you may be feeling with regards to the US shopping cart. Trust me, we feel it too here at eBay Canada. For some background on what brought about this situation, I invite you to read Rodney's post from 2 weeks ago.

To answer your specific questions:

You should note that as a Canadian seller, you can never use Calculated shipping on eBay.com unless your inventory gets shipped from a US location. It is far easier for Canadian sellers to list with flat rate shipping when listing on eBay.com. Unfortunately it is impossible to transfer .ca listings to .com, listings need to be created from scratch.

Unfortunately eBay doesn't offer FVF adjustments on partially refunded shipping costs at this time. As for PayPal fees, I'm not qualified to speak to that. Please ask PayPal directly.

Rodney's post for which I gave you the link earlier speaks to this perfectly. Just to be clear: the US shopping cart works perfectly for all US-based transactions (US seller to US buyer) which is by far what is it used for most of the time. The US cart was well tested for the market it was designed to serve. Everyone here agrees that we need to get the US cart team to make the necessary modifications to allow Canadian items into the cart, but as Rodney explained, getting this prioritized has been really difficult.

It`s clear from this and past site issues no one cares about sellers needs and what clearly needs to be done. I will just keep wasting my time voicing my concerns adding to my frustration and the frustration of others.

Canadian sellers will just keep listing items and paying fees for items that are not available to .com buyers while ebay wastes their time and resources promoting new policies and making navigating ebay look pretty .

Praying to the heavens above the cart disconnect between ebay.com and ebay.ca is fixed before Canadian sellers have no choice and are forced to remove their listings and go out of business.

Thank for your concern ebay

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

My question is really  "Is this the proper way to for ME to handle this situation?"

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@decal-fx wrote:

My question is really  "Is this the proper way to for ME to handle this situation?"

By doing right by your buyers, you have done exactly the right thing. You have nothing to change in what you did.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Everyone here agrees that we need to get the US cart team to make the necessary modifications to allow Canadian items into the cart, but as Rodney explained, getting this prioritized has been really difficult.

I recall Rodney's explanation, and I'm sorry to have to harp on this subject, but what I don't understand about the .com/.ca cart problem is why the cart was introduced on .ca in the first place, before eBay was certain it would be fully functional. 

Prior to the time when the cart icon began appearing on .ca pages, my U.S. buyers were happily making multiple/combined purchases, and I was able to see them as combined invoices at my end.  Why can't eBay.ca remove the cart and return to the previous, functional checkout processes until they can be sure the thing will work?

My category of items relies on and attracts multiple purchases.  The very few I get now are from U.S. buyers who are obviously resourceful and persistent enough to buy one item at a time, back out, then buy the next.  Who knows how many others have tried and given up?  This is a very serious issue from Canadian sellers' viewpoint. 

Oh yes, and now, in addition to having made it harder for our U.S. customers to buy more than one item at a time from us, our competition within Canada will soon be made worse once the U.K. visibility change occurs.  I'd call that a 1-2 punch, wouldn't you?  

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Another, little issue that is very aggravating:

Why oh why did eBay remove those circular arrow icons from the "Unsold" page (denoting relisted/not relisted), and replace them with text?  It used to be so easy to run your eye down the page and grasp how many items needed to be relisted.  Now we either have to filter the page for "relisted" or "not relisted", or read every entry. 

This is another example of eBay breaking something that was efficient, user-friendly, helpful, and absolutely did not need fixing.  Flabbergasted is the only word I can think of! 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Everyone here agrees that we need to get the US cart team to make the necessary modifications to allow Canadian items into the cart, but as Rodney explained, getting this prioritized has been really difficult.

I recall Rodney's explanation, and I'm sorry to have to harp on this subject, but what I don't understand about the .com/.ca cart problem is why the cart was introduced on .ca in the first place, before eBay was certain it would be fully functional. 

Prior to the time when the cart icon began appearing on .ca pages, my U.S. buyers were happily making multiple/combined purchases, and I was able to see them as combined invoices at my end.  Why can't eBay.ca remove the cart and return to the previous, functional checkout processes until they can be sure the thing will work?

My category of items relies on and attracts multiple purchases.  The very few I get now are from U.S. buyers who are obviously resourceful and persistent enough to buy one item at a time, back out, then buy the next.  Who knows how many others have tried and given up?  This is a very serious issue from Canadian sellers' viewpoint. 

Oh yes, and now, in addition to having made it harder for our U.S. customers to buy more than one item at a time from us, our competition within Canada will soon be made worse once the U.K. visibility change occurs.  I'd call that a 1-2 punch, wouldn't you?  

Hi rose-dee,

I sense some confusion here. Before I go any further: the shopping cart on eBay.ca works perfectly fine and any buyer from anywhere in the world can put any item from anywhere in the world in it. There are no problems with the Canadian shopping cart, in fact, it would be the perfect solution if all your buyers simply used eBay.ca and its shopping cart to buy your items.

The US shopping cart is another story. It was built to only take items listed on eBay.com. At the time, that didn't present any problems, it was a product designed to serve the US market only. In that regard, it sill works fine. The only people negatively impacted by the US cart limitations are sellers who list on other sites than eBay.com AND offer combined shipping discounts. Changing this to list on eBay.com would solve this problem, as we explained 2 weeks ago.

Lastly, I just would like to point out that even though the eBay.ca shop^ping cart works for all buyers for all items, buyers are still not forced to use it. The old checkout is still there for anyone to use.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

100% agree "Prior to the time when the cart icon began appearing on .ca pages, my U.S. buyers were happily making multiple/combined purchases, and I was able to see them as combined invoices at my end.  Why can't eBay.ca remove the cart and return to the previous, functional checkout processes until they can be sure the thing will work? this is low priority, they are busy with the U.K. visibility change!

Whose idea was it to remove items from a buyers watch list from the checkout / so called cart page so they can be added to your order with ease. Not that it matters it doesn`t work anyways.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hi rose-dee,

I sense some confusion here. Before I go any further: the shopping cart on eBay.ca works perfectly fine and any buyer from anywhere in the world can put any item from anywhere in the world in it. There are no problems with the Canadian shopping cart, in fact, it would be the perfect solution if all your buyers simply used eBay.ca and its shopping cart to buy your items.

The US shopping cart is another story. It was built to only take items listed on eBay.com. At the time, that didn't present any problems, it was a product designed to serve the US market only. In that regard, it sill works fine. The only people negatively impacted by the US cart limitations are sellers who list on other sites than eBay.com AND offer combined shipping discounts. Changing this to list on eBay.com would solve this problem, as we explained 2 weeks ago.

Lastly, I just would like to point out that even though the eBay.ca shop^ping cart works for all buyers for all items, buyers are still not forced to use it. The old checkout is still there for anyone to use.

With all due respect Raphael, I think the lack of clarity is on the eBay side: 

1)  I realize that eBay believes that buyers on .ca should be able to use the .ca shopping cart perfectly, but recent experiments showed that this is not so.  It is apparently (no longer?) seamless with shipping discounts.  I can provide you with examples when I have a moment. 

2)  Secondly, for many Cdn sellers, U.S. buyers are the biggest percentage of their business.  Are you somehow saying eBay (or Cdn sellers) might be able to educate all those buyers in advance that if they're buying from a Cdn, they should log onto .ca?  Is that really going to happen?  Not a chance, I'd think.  Further, how many U.S. buyers are going to bother contacting a Cdn seller if they're having trouble purchasing?  No, the real problem occurs when U.S. buyers on .com try, fail, and give up and go elsewhere (to .com sellers no doubt). 

3)  Thirdly, my experience has been that even U.S. buyers purchasing just 2 or 3 items have problems (my automated shipping discount only applies to 5 items or more purchased at one time).  So I am dubious about your statement that: "The only people negatively impacted by the US cart limitations are sellers who list on other sites than eBay.com AND offer combined shipping discounts."

4)  Fourthly, as I said, for some reason both my combined item features and my discounts were working perfectly for a period of time, for both U.S. and Cdn buyers.  Why did that stop?

5)  Lastly, why should Cdn sellers have to list on .com in order to make the essential function of a commercial site work?  It defies belief.   

Message 20 of 31
latest reply