Fedex Signature Required but they did not get it?

lsgbvan
Community Member

I recently sold a very expensive item (over $2000) and sent it from canada to Usa via fedex. On the Fedex Ground order form, I had very clearly marked off the direct signature required box. The item has now been delivered, however, when I check the tracking, it says "Delivered. Given to customer. Signature not required.". Am I right to be a bit miffed at this? How is it that they gave the package to somebody without signature? If the buyer is not honest, can they claim to not have received it and ask me for a refund? Has this happened to anybody else?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think your best bet would be to call FedEx and ask them to answer for this oversight in service. You're right, with any purchase over $750 CAD sellers are supposed to get a signature in order to be eligible for Seller Protection through paypal.

At the very least, FedEx should refund the shipping you paid as a goodwill gesture. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed that the lack of a signature doesn't become an Item Not Received issue for you. If it does down the road, you'll want to save all your paperwork and notes and I mean ALL of it to give to paypal to show you that this was FedEx's mistake and not yours. They may have mercy on you. Also, you'd need it for any claims against FedEx if your buyer didn't get it. Has your buyer said anything? Don't bring the lack of a signature to their attention. 

Now, when you say 'direct' you realize you can't write in that box a checkmark yourself, right? It has to be a service you paid to receive in advance when you buy the label and then print it online. Assuming you did so here and not at a Fed Ex office. The label prints it with its own checkmark, you can't write it in pen. I just thought I'd mention that, don't take it the wrong way. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Has your buyer said anything? Don't bring the lack of a signature to their attention. 

This is more important than the lack of a signature!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your feedback! I have gotten in contact with Fedex and they simply told me they would "investigate" what happened and get back to me. I am wondering if they will send the driver back to the address to ask for a signature?
I filled out the Fedex form at the Fedex location here, not a printout at home, and the fedex agent looked everything over to ensure it was filled out correctly.
I guess I will be holding my breath for the next month or so. The joy!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

They haven't said anyhing either way....
Message 5 of 5
latest reply