Feedback Removal

I just received a negative feedback by a seller with 10 feedback for a pair of glasses I sold him. He told me I did everything right and I quote "Thank-you for following up, Yes the glasses made it to me. They are as you described you represented and did everything correctly" unfortunately they did not fit. I contacted e-bay to have this removed and I was told that they would not remove it.......Why should I be punished as a seller when I have done nothing wrong, e-bay's feedback policies need to change......they SUCK!!!!!! Has this happened to anyone else out there??? I just do not understand how e-bay does not have the ability to remove feedback that is clearly unjustified. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Feedback Removal

Here's a policy that actually sucks and it's why you are in this situation and also why eBay won't likely (and shouldn't) remove the feedback.

Return policy details

The seller will not accept returns for this item.

By the way, all that stuff about your shipping charges.....you need to get rid of all that. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't provide an exact shipping price up front.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

You obviously do not have to deal with Canada Post. Exactly how am I supposed to give an exact quote when I have no clue where the item is going to go as there are different rates for different countries. Unfortunately I do not have a crystal ball....like you. As for returns sorry I'm not in the business of loaning items.
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Exactly how am I supposed to give an exact quote when I have no clue where the item is going to go as there are different rates for different countries.

Time For Another One of BB's McEnroe Moments.

Simple solution, pack up your item & take it to the PO for a shipping quote.

Many of us do if we are unsure of the shipping rate.

As for returns sorry I'm not in the business of loaning items.

Whether you consider it a loan or not, eBay rules state you must accept returns.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

"eBay rules state you must accept returns."

To be technically correct, eBay does not care.  They only require that you have a return policy.

PayPal offers your buyers a protection program.  If the item arrives and the buyer is not satisfied with the condition, PayPal will refund the buyer the money paid for the item and the shipping charge and deduct the money from your account.

Since you do not want the item back (no return), it will be destroyed.

It is always best to offer returns as it will at least get your item back to you for eventual resale.  A "liberal" return policy (30 days is best) will also get better placement in search results for your listings.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Just seems wrong Pierre.

Buyer spends $530 cdn including shipping.

Buyer finds the item does not fit, seller mentions they won't accept returns.

I would imagine the buyer is unaware of the return policy & is stuck with a $530 item they probably cannot use.

I have only had four returns over the years.

Item did not fit & buyer obviously didn't read the measurements of the item.

No problem, return the item & they will be refunded in full.

Its just the right thing to do.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

"the buyer is unaware of the return policy & is stuck with a $530 item they probably cannot use"

>???

That is not what the PayPal policy states.

PayPal policy ignores whatever terms the seller may have in a listing.  If an item arrives and is "not as described" or "damaged", PayPal will find in favour of the buyer and refund the money paid by the buyer.  That money will be deducted from the sellers account.

Now, if the seller does not want the item returned, the buyer will be advised to destroy it.  The seller takes all the risks here.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Confused or unaware or both.  So unlike me. lol

Wouldn't the item, as per Paypal Policy, have to be returned to the seller, with tracking, to receive a refund ?

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

" have to be returned to the seller,"

NOT if the seller does not want it.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Really, after all these years I did not know that.

Either way, I would accept the return if the buyer was unhappy with their purchase.

I think the majority of us would.

Its just the right thing to do, but unfortunately we have heard of buyers returning rubber bands, pieces of paper & not the original item purchased.

This site can be very complicated at times.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Stating no returns has nothing to do with how paypal with handle a snad claim.  The buyer would have to return the item to get a refund.  There was some urban legend around the boards about a seller having no returns meant they wouldn't get it back and the counterfeit violin story, but there is nothing in paypal tos to that effect.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

The OP's item in question can't be "not as described" because they gave absolutely no description!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

As stated by the buyer "Thank - you for the follow up, yes the glasses made it to me. They are as you described you represented and did everything correctly". The pictures were clear and I clearly stated the condition. I did not put the measurements as I didn't even think of it, I guess one size does not fit all. I have learned a lesson and added measurements to my listing. Not once did the buyer contact me to ask any questions or this whole mess could have been avoided. There was no way I could know that they would not fit.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

@crallis wrote:
You obviously do not have to deal with Canada Post. Exactly how am I supposed to give an exact quote when I have no clue where the item is going to go as there are different rates for different countries. Unfortunately I do not have a crystal ball....like you. As for returns sorry I'm not in the business of loaning items.

Most Canadian ebay sellers do use Canada Post. You can figure out the weight and dimensions of the package ahead of time and put them in the shipping calculator so that when the potential buyer looks at the listing they know exactly what they will have to pay for shipping.

There was no way I could know that they would not fit.

But now you do know. It really is important that measurements be put in a listing but I agree that the buyer could have asked before the purchase.Even so, since the glasses are useless for the buyer I think that it would be reasonable to accept a return in this situation. Just my opinion.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

Yoou wannt put a flat rate .. For me the most expensive for my parcel is about $14 within Canada the cheapest about $9 so I set them flat rate of $12 Works out great but if you pay more then say $12 put a flate rate anda $2 or $3  cushion in the buy now price to make up for difference ...

Eitehr way have fun

Message 15 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

My personal feeling is that this is just a case of buyers remorse. I was in the process of working with the buyer before they jumped to the negative feedback . Now I want nothing to do with them. They are now questioning the authenticity of the glasses even after letting me now they were as advertised......I have recommended that they open a claim as I am 100% confident that I have done everything right.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

@crallis wrote:
My personal feeling is that this is just a case of buyers remorse. I was in the process of working with the buyer before they jumped to the negative feedback . Now I want nothing to do with them. They are now questioning the authenticity of the glasses even after letting me now they were as advertised......I have recommended that they open a claim as I am 100% confident that I have done everything right.

Well, I think you may have been able to give this customer satisfaction, and have the glasses back to re-sell if you'd dealt with this differently.  Perhaps that's still be possible (until the buyer opens a claim).

I would never consider not offering returns, but if I were in your situation, and if you haven't already ticked the buyer off, I'd make an exception and tell the buyer that I'd accept a return and would provide a refund upon the item being received in satisfactory condition.  I'd also pay his cost of return shipping, and ask that he send it by air parcel with insurance and tracking. 

This is a $510 item, not a trinket, so not only is it worth getting it back in order to re-sell, but you really don't want a negative on an item of that value.  It makes it look as if you don't know what you're doing in handling expensive goods. 

The fact that there were no dimensions described in the listing caused the problem in the first place (along with your "no returns" policy).  For an item of this value, I would have given very precise measurements. 

Did you try the glasses on yourself?  I would have -- and if they fit me, I would have measured around my head to indicate what head size would be a perfect fit (or added/subtracted head dimension if they didn't). 

It's not fair for sellers to blame buyers for not asking questions.  People are reluctant to send messages to a stranger, even if we sellers always ask buyers to do so.  I can't recall the last time a buyer emailed me for further information, but then I measure everything, up, down and sideways. 

The negative FB you got was mild compared to most; I think this buyer sounds fair-minded, considering he paid over $500 plus shipping to get a useless item that his seller won't take back.  This situation was avoidable on your part as I see it. 

You might still be able to resolve this if you're willing to understand his position and approach him courteously with a refund offer before he takes further steps.  Why not try that by phone?  I find it's much easier to gauge a person's good faith over the phone than through emails. 

You could even consider extending an olive branch by refunding as soon as the tracking shows the glasses are on their way back to you.  If you're really good at customer service, you might even get him to revise his FB once he has the refund, and solve that problem too. 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

@brandeentertainment wrote:

Yoou wannt put a flat rate .. For me the most expensive for my parcel is about $14 within Canada the cheapest about $9 so I set them flat rate of $12 Works out great but if you pay more then say $12 put a flate rate anda $2 or $3  cushion in the buy now price to make up for difference ...

'brande', I agree, and I think that's exactly what most of us do who offer flat rate shipping - what you lose on one end you gain on the other, so I don't understand why the OP feels it's not possible.  Just buy a $20 weigh scale at London Drugs and a few boxes and you can set up shipping prices for anything. 

It's easy and it works, even internationally (I use Australia as my "far point"). 

Some sellers prefer using calculated shipping based on size and weight, but it was interesting that the eBay staffers mentioned the majority of eBay sellers use flat rate shipping.  The reason is probably because it gives the seller more control over adjustments for individual items.   

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

rose: same for me! I've always used flat rate shipping since way back in '99! I use the coasts for Canada (I'm in ON), usually region "9" for international and "7" for usa
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Feedback Removal

@crallis wrote:
Not once did the buyer contact me to ask any questions or this whole mess could have been avoided. There was no way I could know that they would not fit.

Anything that goes on a human body is likely not to fit if there aren't any indications of size -- shoes, glasses, gloves, clothing, whatever.  I assume size will be a factor with such things, and make sure doesn't become a problem by stating careful measurements.

It really isn't up to buyers to seek out information that should reasonably be in the listing description.  That's the seller's job -- and responsibility.  As I said, try the glasses on, then measure your head.  Measure the distance across the rims and front to back, then from top to bottom of the lenses. 

I notice you have another pair of designer glasses listed.  You might want to pro-actively revise that listing too (#191042251980).   

Message 20 of 29
latest reply