Feedback on shipping speed: Changes coming?

This morning's required reading:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m07/i20/s01

I'll get you started...

"eBay's new CEO Devin Wenig wants to make changes to fundamental areas of the marketplace. One such change that has begun rolling out involves eBay's sacred cow, the feedback system, and EcommerceBytes is polling sellers to see what they think.

When buyers rate sellers on a transaction, eBay presents them with a new question: "Did your item arrive on or before..." and supplies a date that it calls the "Estimated Delivery Date." 

The new question began showing up for some buyers in May as eBay began testing the change...."

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I'm fairly sure that I could tell you what the majority of sellers would think without doing a poll. There have been reports of that feedback question on the U.S. boards for quite a while and I haven't seen anything positive about it...mainly because sellers don't know what is going to be done with that information.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

On Saturday I had to leave the feedback for seller from China (I buy something from them and have items shipped directly to my 5-yrs old granddaughter who lives in different place, so she feels very important because she gets mail addressed to her)

I got the question "Did the item arrive before August 20-th?"  

The item was purchased on June 11-th!

Of course, I answered "yes" and seems to me that such a question may be beneficiary for sellers, i.e. it prevents the harsh judgement from inpatient buyers because the time-frame indicated in the question is very generous.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

That is reassuring to hear. Thank you.

May I ask, did you make the purchase through ebay.com or ebay.ca? Or, does it depend what site you're logged into at the time you're leaving feedback?

I am at a bit of a disadvantage here in that I rarely leave ebay.ca now except to check how my own listings look on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and elsewhere. And I haven't done much purchasing of my own since the CAD dropped so far below USD. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I would say that I mainly stay on eBay.ca...

Few of my old favorite searches are made on eBay.com and when I visit them the system brings me to com.  

But somehow I feel not very confident there anymore and return to eBay.ca a.s.a.p.

The set of handcraft materials were purchased from China seller through eBay.ca and the item is very small and light

( item # 131326377334) and I think it was expected to be shipped by air, but still very generous time frame...

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Of course, I answered "yes" and seems to me that such a question may be beneficiary for sellers, i.e. it prevents the harsh judgement from inpatient buyers because the time-frame indicated in the question is very generous.

Anything is possible although it's been a while since I can remember a feedback change being beneficial to sellers.

Does your grandchild live in another country? That is a very generous arrival date....was it quite a bit longer past ebay's estimated arrival date?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

My grandchild lives in Newmarket and I live in Toronto...  with good road and weather condition the distance can me made in 40 minutes...

The estimated arrival dates were July 10 - July 30... I do not know the accurate date of the receipt but I know that my granddaughter used this staff to decorate the package for her mom's birthday which is on July the 7th...

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

On eBay I buy from China almost exclusively, the delivery estimates are VERY generous. Generally it's because most Chinese sellers know how to avoid eBay assigning unrealistic estimates.

The estimates eBay puts on my own listings are usually pretty generous, that's what you get when you use a generic shipping service such as "standard international flat-rate shipping".

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Is anything in our power to control (or even to change)  the estimated time-frames assigned by eBay?  

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@block36 wrote:

Is anything in our power to control (or even to change)  the estimated time-frames assigned by eBay?  

Not that I know.

Interestingly, on ebay.ca, my listings give a generic "Delivery: Estimated within 2-8 business days" but if I look at the same listing on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk, it will say specifically "Delivery: Estimated between Wed. Jul. 22 and Thu. Jul. 30"

The boldface is theirs, actually. 

This is for a ebay.ca-created listing being shipped domestically within Canada. You'd think the specific estimate would be given on ebay.ca. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Maybe, just maybe, eBay figures Canadians are smart enough to understand the meaning of "2 to 8 business days" while Americans need a precise answer!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

More like the can't be bothered fixing things on .ca.  How long ago was it they annoucned the "US$ is 15% likely to sell" line was wrong and would be removed.  A single static sentence and its still there.  They only thing that has changed over that time is to introduce more problems (missing catalog/disappearing pics in particular).   Look at what amzn canada has done over the same time and its easy to see why they are going in opposite directions 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Maybe, just maybe, eBay figures Canadians are smart enough to understand the meaning of "2 to 8 business days" while Americans need a precise answer!

I totally agree with this sediment, I was just ripped a new one by a US Buyer who sent me the following paraphrased message.

"I watch who I buy from as far as shipping time ,I will not buy from china because it could take up to three weeks . I did take the time to make a correct decision to order from your 's but Im confused your ad states 5 to 10 business days , But now it is completely new information coming from your 's that it will take 7 to 14 days . That my friend is a bit deceiving ,you sell with the intent to deliver within 5 to ten thats what your ad says then after you take money from my account you explain in an email that its a mistake and actually it's is 7 to 14 business days . this is not going well with me . Why not correct your ebay ad about longer shipping. I rebuild boats and the season is getting late for me ,my profit will start to go down as the season closes .If it takes the full amount of time that you state I will loose hundreds of dollars ,this is why it is so important at this late July period for you to be truthful. I would of went else where to have the product reach my boat earlier . Cant say thanks because your like a penny holding up a dollar. **bleep** if you could just of been more honest in the first place !" 

To which I replied "Hi XXXX, those shipping estimates on the listing are made up by eBay, and sellers have no control over what they put there. I just send out the 7-14 days message as I find from experience it is a little more realistic, but that is not to say your decals won't show up in 5 days (Ohio is usually towards the lower end of the scale). I apologize for any stress my shipping estimate message has caused you. Your decal were dropped of at the Post Office about 10 minutes ago. Please believe me when I say it is not in my personality to be deceptive. I strive to take care of my customers as much as possible. I tried to call your phone# (XXX XXX-XXXX) that was supplied with your ebay address but it says it is disconnected. Please confirm the rest of the info is current, the address I've shipped to is

XXXXXXXXXX XXXXx
2188 N XXXXXXX Ave
Niles, OH XXXXX
United States

You can call me (Greg) anytime at 705 -XXXXXXX or provide a new phone# to call you on

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I fear people don't understand even the distinction of a 'business' day from evening, weekend or holiday.
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I agree...some of them don't.  That's why when I send a message after an item has been mailed, I give them an eta in days...not business days.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's why when I send a message after an item has been mailed, I give them an eta in days...not business days.

I do the same, for the same reason.  And I add: "...barring any delays at U.S. Customs" (or whatever country the item is being sent to), as a reminder that their own country may cause the item to take longer to arrive. 

I think 'decal' has an important cautionary tale on this subject.  If eBay is going to ask a buyer if an item arrived by a particular date that eBay determines, then eBay had better get their ducks in a row on all delivery estimates for not just the U.S., but Canada and elsewhere, and provide a generous outside window.  How exactly they will be able to do this, and yet still allow for the vagaries of Customs, weather, busy shipping times, etc. I can't imagine. 

I think sellers are much better able to provide their buyers with an expected receipt date (or ETA in days) at the time of purchase, and perhaps they should simply be obligated to do so as part of the post-payment process.

In my view, this whole shipping time concept as a seller evaluation factor should be dropped.  It was odd to me that they dropped "shipping cost" as an evaluation factor, since to my mind sellers have far more control over shipping cost than over the time an item takes to arrive.    

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

"eBay's new CEO Devin Wenig wants to make changes to fundamental areas of the marketplace."

All I could say when I read this was OH NO!  

It's that word "fundamental" that gives me the shivers.  When has eBay ever made a critical change that wasn't half-baked or ill conceived and didn't cause seismic problems for sellers? 

(Postscript:  It just occurred to me that a truly fundamental change would be to make no significant changes or alterations to this site for a year, just make the things we have actually work most of the time.  What a gift that would be! )

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I agree...some of them don't.  That's why when I send a message after an item has been mailed, I give them an eta in days...not business days.

I used to do something like that through ebay messages immediately post-shipment but then I realized that by initiating communication where none had previously existed, I was leaving myself open to low DRSs on Communication instead of the automatic five-stars. I then considered doing it by sending a message to the email registered with paypal (the one that sent payment to me) but then I decided that might just make buyers angry since they now get THREE from Canada Post via Paypal Shipping (label printed, dropped at post office and then delivered) without anything I can say or do about it so I figured an extra one from me, personally, might also make them angry. (On top of all the ones that they already get from ebay and also being reminded to leave feedback, no less.) So in the end, I left it at the body copy that I can customize and submit when printing the paypal shipping label and also I use a packing slip on each order and it says something like this, depending on the destination and service selected:

"Thank you for choosing McQueen and Mo Mater! Your __________ shipped SAME-DAY and within ___ hours of payment (at cost of postage with NO handling fees added) via ___________ which has a delivery estimate of _____ business days, not including the day it is received by the post office for processing, weekends or holidays. When your order arrives, please let us know if there is anything that we can do to increase your satisfaction with this transaction. McQueen and Mo Mater aims to provide each buyer with five-star service so if you feel that we have missed this mark, please let us know before you leave feedback and we will make it so. Thank you. - Maureen"

When the order is headed overseas, I also make mention of customs delays and fees not included.

I really don't know if anyone looks at their packing slip and, since I have never bought anything from myself, I don't actually know whether or not the text I've entered in that 'message to buyer' field on the paypal print-postage page actually makes it to the buyer on the now-shipped email but I've been doing to this way for years.

In addition to my concern about buyers not understanding the term of business or working days versus calendar days, I also worry about delays due to weather and customs and also misdirection. More misleading, however, is that the delivery estimates between ebay and paypal are slightly different AND no one ever notices that Canada Post itself does not count the day they receive a parcel as anything other than Day Zero for handling. That's a big deal to me. 

With shipping, there are variables beyond our control as sellers but I do think that considering ebay knows BOTH the postal codes of the sender and receiver as well as the seller's handling time and method of shipping to be used, they should be able to do a better job at identifying delivery standards on the listings. But I am one of those unfortunate types who tends to care about every blazing detail.

The last feedback left for me was from a lovely American who received her item in five business days, two sooner than was the fastest possible given the shipping speed she chose due to my one-hour handling time and she still left feedback that makes it sound as if she was pleased to have gotten it right on time. It was way AHEAD of time. She told me she needed it for a special occasion and I broke my back to get it off my desk and straight to the post office so that could happen. 

Now, rose-dee, I am not necessarily worried about any fundamental changes to feedback, as it were. Most buyers could care less about leaving it. This is not the ebay of old. I suspect they're considering a major dump of the way it is done. Buyers are interested in product reviews but they don't necessarily trust the vendor for those. At this point, I think any change to seller evaluation is a good change. 

This was from yesterday's news a la http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m07/i21/s02 and the boldface is mine:

"....Here are three things you need to know from Sweetnam's post:

1) eBay is looking at ways to adjust seller performance standards and will attempt to rely less on "subjective buyer inputs" and more on objective metrics.

2) eBay will bring together seller tools and reports together in one centralized spot sometime this year.

3) eBay will "streamline" the returns process. The first set of changes to the returns process will launch in the fall, and it will continue to make changes into next year...."

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I used to do something like that through ebay messages immediately post-shipment but then I realized that by initiating communication where none had previously existed, I was leaving myself open to low DRSs on Communication instead of the automatic five-stars.

I've never had a problem getting 5 stars in communication so it didn't make sense to me to stop communicating just in case. Also, it's not always practical for me to upload tracking  and that needs to be done in order to qualify for an automatic 5 star.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I've never had a problem getting 5 stars in communication so it didn't make sense to me to stop communicating just in case. Also, it's not always practical for me to upload tracking  and that needs to be done in order to qualify for an automatic 5 star.

I agree -- of all the DSR factors, it seems communication is the one buyers are least likely to leave a lower than "5" score for.  I suppose if there was something that really went wrong and the seller handled it poorly in messages a lower score might result, but I think that's a rare situation.   

Low ratings for communication don't count in calculating defects either, so I feel there really is no reason not to communicate directly with a buyer.  

To respond to 'mj''s' point about buyers being overloaded with messages, I think that an automated message from eBay is different from a personalized message from the seller from whom you've just purchased, especially if that message is signed with the seller's real first name.  The latter type of message, in my view, says "I care about you as a customer".  I always end my post-sale message with something cheerful and friendly, like "Thanks again for dropping by our store!".  In all the years I've sold, I've done this and I think I've yet to get less than a 5-star communications rating in DSRs.  

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing the current FB system dumped completely, in favour of a simple 5-star overall satisfaction review by buyers (with optional comment section), that wasn't tied to seller defects.  I think it would also be nice for sellers to have every sales transaction included in the counter next to their ID, not just the ones that got FB -- the current system doesn't accurately reflect seller experience.  

Message 20 of 21
latest reply