Fees on shipping charges rip off

How do people interpret this:

If you list on eBay.com

If you list on eBay.com and a US buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.com and a Canadian or international (non US) buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first US shipping service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your Canadian or express shipping service

I think we are being overcharged by Ebay

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Frankly I do not see a ripoff.

If you list on .com, USA is "domestic"

If you list on .ca, "Canada is "domestic"

FVF is calculated based on the selling price plus the first "domestic" shipping charge.

I took a look at one of your items (using USA as location) and your listing offered:

US $4.50
United States
Canada Post Light Packet USA

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment 
US $10.00
United States
Canada Post Light Packet International

Estimated Delivery within 5-10 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment 

As you can see, that is a problem because you list two services for the American buyer while only one really applies (CP Light Packet USA).

You may want to spend some time revising your listings to correctly reflect the different services (and rates) available from Canada to USA and international

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

Hi Pierre

That is not the issue. I list my currency on .com and charge $3.00 shipping for as many notes as people want and $10.00 shipping outside of North America for as many as they want.

Here is how Ebay is calculating final value fees on shipping.

If someone from the US buys 3 notes, he pays $3.00 shipping and Ebay calculates final value fees broken down to 6% of $1.00 for each one for 6¢ each or a total of 18 ¢

If someone from Germany buys the same 3 notes Ebay charges 6% of $3.00 per note or 18¢ each for a total of 54¢.

They do not used the combined shipping but charge on each one separately at the full rate. If they had bought 20 notes, Ebay would charge on $60.00 to overseas but only $3.00 to the US.

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

That one is listed on .ca, not .com

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

OK I checked a listing you have on .com and the shipping tab reads (for an American buyer):

US $3.00
United States
Standard Shipping from outside US

Estimated within 5-11 business days

There is no mention - within the shipping section - of giving free shipping for additional items.

You need to set up Shipping Discounts: http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-discounts.html

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

Discounts are set up and work fine. It is the FVF on shipping that change depending if it is US sale or out of North America Sale

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

It seems to me that a long time ago, someone said that there was a glitch for shipping fvf when international shipping was combined.  But I haven't heard anything about it in a long time so I can't be certain that I'm remembering correctly. It's certainly not supposed to work in the way that you described. You should be paying fvf on $3 shipping for both the U.S and International transaction. 

If I were you and had proof showing that on my ebay invoices I was being charged fvf on the wrong amounts, I would send an email with attached invoices to Raphael. His email address is raphael@ebay.com

Mods - please don't remove the address as we are allowed to post email addresses for ebay reps.

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

The listing I checked was 391169439084 and I do not see any shipping discount set up.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

Shipping and handling
Free shipping on each additional eligible item you buy from dutchman48.

This is what I show under shipping
Message 9 of 51
latest reply

I have opened a file with the Billing department and have a case number as they have no idea what is going on to be truthful. I got hung up on once intentionally and called back and spoke to a supervisor. We will see what happens and if I hear nothing, I will email raphael

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It seems to me that a long time ago, someone said that there was a glitch for shipping fvf when international shipping was combined.  But I haven't heard anything about it in a long time so I can't be certain that I'm remembering correctly. It's certainly not supposed to work in the way that you described. You should be paying fvf on $3 shipping for both the U.S and International transaction. 

If I were you and had proof showing that on my ebay invoices I was being charged fvf on the wrong amounts, I would send an email with attached invoices to Raphael. His email address is raphael@ebay.com

Mods - please don't remove the address as we are allowed to post email addresses for ebay reps.

It wasn't a "glitch", between the time of the original announcement and when fvf's on shipping were implemented eBay changed the rules of the game.

It was a quiet change that most people, including me, didn't notice for a few months. By that point eBay had cleansed any references to the original calculation method.

I just assume that I'm going to be paying fees on the actual shipping charged on combined shipments, that is if buyers are able to purchase multiple items and combine for a single payment (but that a whole other "glitch").

If the OP were to sell 4 or more items in a combined overseas order they would be paying fvf's on $10, the actual shipping charged.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 51
latest reply

Ebay is calculating it on the individual shipping US charge times the number of items, not the actual charge except when sold to the US.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@recped wrote:

It wasn't a "glitch", between the time of the original announcement and when fvf's on shipping were implemented eBay changed the rules of the game.

It was a quiet change that most people, including me, didn't notice for a few months. By that point eBay had cleansed any references to the original calculation method.

I just assume that I'm going to be paying fees on the actual shipping charged on combined shipments, that is if buyers are able to purchase multiple items and combine for a single payment (but that a whole other "glitch").

If the OP were to sell 4 or more items in a combined overseas order they would be paying fvf's on $10, the actual shipping charged.

I think that the OP is saying they were charged fvf on $10 x 4 even though the buyer paid a total of $10 for shipping.

But even if the OP was paying fvf on the actual amount that the international buyer paid, that is still incorrect according to ebay's help pages as they don't specify that the rules change for multiple orders.

Final value fees on shipping

Final values fees on shipping charges are calculated using the shipping service the buyer chooses.

However, when you offer an international or one-day shipping service and it's selected by your buyer, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't one-day, or

• Your international or one-day shipping service

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item.

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@recped wrote:

I think that the OP is saying they were charged fvf on $10 x 4 even though the buyer paid a total of $10 for shipping.

But even if the OP was paying fvf on the actual amount that the international buyer paid, that is still incorrect according to ebay's help pages as they don't specify that the rules change for multiple orders.

Final values fees on shipping charges are calculated using the shipping service the buyer chooses.

However, when you offer an international or one-day shipping service and it's selected by your buyer, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item.

No he said on an order of 3 units he paid fvf on 3 x $3 (domestic shipping amount per item) If his example was for more than 3 items it would have maxed out at $10 (The actual shipping charged) but because 3 x $3 is less than the $10 charged he paid he was charged on that lower amount.

On an order of 4 units the domestic (individual) shipping would be 4 x $3, the actual shipping $10 and the fvf would be charged on the lower $10 amount.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 14 of 51
latest reply

Where are you getting your shipping info as it is different than I got, see my original post.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Where are you getting your shipping info as it is different than I got, see my original post.

Not sure what you mean. I read your original post several times.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

To be honest, I am very confused by the shipping information in some of your listings.

391169425922 appears to be listed on eBay.ca in US$

Description: "I do combine shipping and can ship 4 or more tokens for the same cost depending on location."

Shipping Tab: "US $0.50 shipping for each additional eligible item you buy from dutchman48."

Listing 391169430068  same as above

391169448262 appears to be listed on eBay.com

Description: "I do combine shipping and each additional RAW NOTE is shipped free."

Shipping tab: "Free shipping on each additional eligible item you buy from dutchman48."

391169439084 same as above

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@recped wrote:

No he said on an order of 3 units he paid fvf on 3 x $3 (domestic shipping amount per item) If his example was for more than 3 items it would have maxed out at $10 (The actual shipping charged) but because 3 x $3 is less than the $10 charged he paid he was charged on that lower amount.

On an order of 4 units the domestic (individual) shipping would be 4 x $3, the actual shipping $10 and the fvf would be charged on the lower $10 amount.

Ok....you're right, I misread something and I understand what you're saying.

So if the OP had sold 20 notes to one buyer and the buyer paid $10 shipping, ebay would charge fvf on the $10 because it is the lesser amount compared to charging  fvf on 20 x $3. 

However,  I don't think that ebay makes it very clear.  The way they have it worded suggests  that they will charge shipping fvf on the amount that a domestic buyer would pay. But they are basing the charge on what a domestic buyer would pay if there was no combined shipping discount set up and not basing it on what the domestic buy would actually pay for shipping.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

Pierre

I will try to be polite and say it simply. I do not sell stamps but tokens on .ca that can go letter mail in Canada but have to go light packet to US or other countries.

In Canada rates go up faster as weight increases due to smaller weight categories and tokens have to go by weight and weigh more than stamps..

Light packet cut off is 200 grams for the first lever so I can sell more for the same cost to the US than I can in Canada.

I have buyers that buy and then request an invoice and if I can ship 4 or more for the same price as 1, I will do so

I also have 50 cents per additional item in case people pay without requesting an invoice, hence the statement in the listing. Outside of Canada I can probably ship 6 to 8 for the same price as 1.

I don't think that is too difficult to understand but this thread is about the FVF on shipping and trying to find out why Ebay cvhanges it depending on where it is going.

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

That is my issue exactly and why I started this thread. Ebay charges what it wants with no clear basis at all.

Message 20 of 51
latest reply