First time buyer... Some questions!

Hello! Id just like to ask a few questions on eBay. Im potentially buying a few gifts for some friends and I would just like to avoid scams.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

1. If a scam occurs, if an object comes damaged, will the return be based off of Return Policy for the seller or will it be free due to the eBay Money Back Policy? 

2. If a new seller decides to leave eBay before handling a dispute (From the money back) will I still be able to get the refund? 

Once again, thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Also... a quick third question..

3) Since im from Canada, is there any danger or extra fees if Im buying something under 20 CAD in terms of fees? 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@chiachichang wrote:

3) Since im from Canada, is there any danger or extra fees if Im buying something under 20 CAD in terms of fees? 

For imports by mail, taxes and duty are not collected for items under 20CA$ ($15us) -- just as long as the seller does not screw up the paperwork.

And to be extra sure, avoid items that are shipped via the Global Shipping Program (GSP).

-..-

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

1 - if an item is not as described the MBG overrides the sellers return policy.

2-yes, you would still be refunded.  New sellers don't usually receive their money right away as eBay puts a hold on it. But even if there was no money in the seller's account, eBay would refund the buyer.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@chiachichang wrote:

Hello! Id just like to ask a few questions on eBay. Im potentially buying a few gifts for some friends and I would just like to avoid scams.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

1. If a scam occurs, if an object comes damaged, will the return be based off of Return Policy for the seller or will it be free due to the eBay Money Back Policy? 

2. If a new seller decides to leave eBay before handling a dispute (From the money back) will I still be able to get the refund? 

Once again, thanks in advance! 

Returns are always governed by eBay's MGP policy:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#description

If the seller takes the money and runs and you get nothing, file a claim for ITEM NOT RECEIVED and say the seller is no longer registered.  You will get a refund almost right away. 

Keep in mind the estimated delivery timeframe.  After the LAST date you have 30 days to file your complaint in the RESOLUTION CENTER. 

Import charges information can be read here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/courier/menu-eng.html

Also you should avoid buying from US sellers using the Global Shipping Program.  You will have enough stresses with Christmas coming up and can do without the headaches and horrors that come from buying a GPS item. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I would recommend ( as any type of buyer new or old ) being a responsible buyer by:

* making sure you know what it is you want to purchase ( you say you are buying for friends - be sure you know what it is that they want and if "collectible" items what type of condition they are willing to accept) ,

* reading the descriptions carefully , looking at the photos carefully and asking the seller questions before you purchase if you have any questions or concerns with regards to the item. If the Seller does not reply to your questions or does not give you the information you are seeking, do not purchase from that Seller. Read the Seller's feedback, if you see or read anything that makes you uncomfortable do not purchase from that Seller.  

If you are starting your ebay purchase endeavor thinking that you have to watch for "scammers"  then maybe ebay isn't the best venue for you.  Or maybe wait until after Christmas and make some purchases just for yourself so there's no pressure.  I see you have been an ebay member since 2015, if it's taken you this long to decide you would like to try buying something on ebay for the first time then maybe don't add the pressure of Christmas shopping on it 🙂

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Returns are always governed by eBay's MGP policy:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#description

To clarify....If the reason for the return is because the item was not as described it is covered by the MBG.

Buyers remorse returns are not covered by it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply