Fixed Priced Listing Limitations

I received a message from Auctiva today in which they stated another policy change. I try to keep on the changes but don't remember reading anything about this one.

Link

"This year eBay will help drive a more successful holiday selling season for all sellers by ensuring buyers have a quick, inspiring view of the great selection available for their holiday purchases. Effective October 26, the new Duplicate Listing policy will help prevent search results from being dominated by multiple duplicate listings of the same item from the same seller, and improve exposure for great listings from many more sellers.
"

This is posted on .com but I am assuming it is for .ca as well.

Judy
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

There is some discussion about it on the selling board, it was just announced today.

Did you see the announcement about the new "feedback enhancements"? LINK

mumbles a bunch of not so nice words

There is some discussion on that too if you're interested. LINK

Judy, do you always get ebay updates from Auctiva? I've never gotten anything like that from them.

Pam
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Morning All,

Okay....I'm confused! What else is new?

I sell scrapbooking supplies. For example...I have butterfly eyelets that may be found here in my eBay store:

Each listing is for a different color. Is that a SIGNIFICANT enough difference to keep my listings going or will I wake up one frosty snowy morning and find my listings have disappeared!?????

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Okay, my link didn't work above so I'm trying again!

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Country-Scrapbooking/Butterfly-Eyelets-/_i.html?_fsub=331628&_sid=2093...

Let's see if it worked this time! If not....pop into my store and look under Eyelets and then Butterflies for the example that I was asking about!

THANKS!
Susan
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Hmmm this one is certainly creating some ups and downs for my bloodpressure! Originally I thought I was toast. After reading the forum, I'm not sure if I'm affected or not. My problem is that I sell stuff in quantity, in many cases EVERYTHING in my listing is the same for different items except the pictures. Ie I sell 5 different bags of 1,000 stamps. Each of the bags of 1,000 is different from the others and a person may take a liking to one of the 5 bags but not the others. Each lot is pictured and sold separately, but the price is the same. Some of the responses on the forum (open for one day only!) sound like I will be ok because my pictures are different, however some look like I won't. Doesn't look like my blood pressure will be normal for a while now.....
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

All you have to do is slightly alter the title. That rule has been implemented before and is no big deal.

One of the feedback enhancements is interesting. The centralized reporting about buyer performance. There have been numerous attempts outside of eBay to do this. They went nowhere and I am glad that eBay is setting this up.

In all, there are dome decent announcements which address some seller concerns.

Bernie
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

ricarmic, I did read on some forums that using the same pictures might be a factor that makes the listings the same, so you should look into it more.

Susan,my guess is that yours would be fine.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Hi again! I read through all 10 pages of the discussion and from my reading, it looks as though as long as my pictures are different I will be ok, despite the fact that everything else is the same. If that's not the case, I'll try some other experiments with titles etc to figure out what to do to get it to work. Would be nice if they left the discussion open for longer and of course if the testing tool was available when they told us!
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I received a message from Auctiva today in which they stated another policy change. I try to keep on the changes but don't remember reading anything about this one.

Link

"This year eBay will help drive a more successful holiday selling season for all sellers by ensuring buyers have a quick, inspiring view of the great selection available for their holiday purchases. Effective October 26, the new Duplicate Listing policy will help prevent search results from being dominated by multiple duplicate listings of the same item from the same seller, and improve exposure for great listings from many more sellers.
"

This is posted on .com but I am assuming it is for .ca as well.

Judy

Groan...no, I had not seen that announcement. Thanks for posting the links. I read through both. From what I can see I am better off to continue doing what I am already doing and forget about their free shipping and tracking bull. My DSR's are already high without doing what they suggest. It did bring to mind some things I could write to my customers though.

Dear buyer,

eBay will give me automatic 5 star feedback for shipping time if I ship with tracking and it arrives within 4 days. Since the package is unlikely to arrive that quickly & I am reluctant to charge you $20 for an order that can be shipped for $2.75 I am sending it at the less expensive rate. The package will likely arrive sooner than the tracked package. I rarely have a problem with items not reaching their destination but will replace it if it does not arrive.

They will also award me an automatic 5 star rating for shipping charge if I offer free shipping. Since shipping is not free I would have to add it to the cost of the item. You would still be paying for shipping but it would be hidden in the cost. eBay would earn more in fees but my integrity would be compromised. Therefore I do not offer free shipping and their are no hidden charges in your purchase.

I sincerely hope that you realize I have your best interests in mind and that you will give me a 5 Star rating.

Best regards,
westernstargifts

I do get emails from Auctiva occasionally with updates on eBay. I don't know why I get them. The only service I receive from them is the free Auctiva slideshow. I could use the one that SSB provides but I use the Auctiva one because I can coordinate the color with my store colors.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Morning All,

Okay....I'm confused! What else is new?

I sell scrapbooking supplies. For example...I have butterfly eyelets that may be found here in my eBay store:

Each listing is for a different color. Is that a SIGNIFICANT enough difference to keep my listings going or will I wake up one frosty snowy morning and find my listings have disappeared!?????

Susan
momoftwingles2

Hi Susan,

I have the same problem with identical items such as rings with different designs. I think we will be fine because the titles are different as are the photos. If there does turn out to be a problem with them then eBay would be in a big mess as I am sure there are many other sellers like us.

Judy

ricarmic,

I think you will be all right with different photos but you might want to consider a slightly different title for each just to be sure.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I see the reports are available now.

Thankfully my entirely duplicate listings except with different pictures seem ok, at least they did not show up on the report. I guess this means their picture looker-atter is working.

The only item I did have that showed up was an item that somehow was listed two times, it is exactly the same in all respects, the reporting tool caught that, and I deleted the duplicate one.

So far looks ok, although I'll breathe a bigger sigh of relief after it goes live on the 26th and all my listings are still there!
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi All,

I went and looked at the list to see if I had any duplicates per eBay's new rules and I had two....my tooth fairy laser cuts! So, I changed the titles to say blonde and brunette and I believe all will be fine.

I'm so glad that eBay has pushed this issue before I close down in November. These two listings have been bugging me for 10 years and now I know that I will sleep peacefully at night knowing that my customers will know if they are looking at a blonde or brunette! NOT!

Just kidding!

Have a good one all!

Susan
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I see the reports are available now.

Thankfully my entirely duplicate listings except with different pictures seem ok, at least they did not show up on the report. I guess this means their picture looker-atter is working.

The only item I did have that showed up was an item that somehow was listed two times, it is exactly the same in all respects, the reporting tool caught that, and I deleted the duplicate one.

So far looks ok, although I'll breathe a bigger sigh of relief after it goes live on the 26th and all my listings are still there!

Reports? Where do you find them?
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Judy,

You can look here!

Susan
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Judy,

Okay, I'll try again!

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/DuplicateListingPolicy.html

Susan
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Thanks Susan. I hadn't heard anything about this tool. Looks like I have quite a few to end. I had already started weeding out the less productive ones after they made the announcement.

Judy
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hmmm this one is certainly creating some ups and downs for my bloodpressure! Originally I thought I was toast. After reading the forum, I'm not sure if I'm affected or not. My problem is that I sell stuff in quantity, in many cases EVERYTHING in my listing is the same for different items except the pictures. Ie I sell 5 different bags of 1,000 stamps. Each of the bags of 1,000 is different from the others and a person may take a liking to one of the 5 bags but not the others. Each lot is pictured and sold separately, but the price is the same. Some of the responses on the forum (open for one day only!) sound like I will be ok because my pictures are different, however some look like I won't. Doesn't look like my blood pressure will be normal for a while now.....

Fine tuning your title will help. You can even just put something like Set #1 or Set #2 and that will make your listings unique to one another.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 17 of 17
latest reply