Fourth Lost Shipment in a Week

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just completed my fourth refund in the past week to a buyer whose shipment (his was air-mailed 28 February to Wisconsin, for pity's sake. I could have walked it there by now) has not yet arrived.

Luckily, all but one of these were small, low-cost shipments. One, unhappily, was a tiny shipment for which I used International Letter Post, so buh-bye to that (no refund available from Canada Post).

I also learned that the first date at which one can launch an investigation with Canada Post is 75 days after shipment for surface mail, although it's 45 days for air.

This topic of lost or slow shipments has been discussed a lot recently -- does anyone have a rule of thumb for how many I should expect to lose? Right now I'm at about 2% (I do expect the LetterPost one to arrive eventually -- it was going to Israel, and had made two false starts before it even left).

I've taken femmefan1946's advice to heart, and have started a metaphorical or penny-jar "slush fund" for lost items, and I know that we are covered by the Small Packet or Expedited insurance, so I'm not really worried about the loss financially, but I am curious to know whether we've just been unlucky.
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

You are not alone. I had atleast 10 items disappear around Christmas time. Delivery seems to be super slow too. To add to all this, my list of unpaid purchasers have gone through the roof this past month. Some never pay and the ones that do, they take several days. I wonder why this change?
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

There's a separate thread about piles of lost shipments starting mid february, it is especially bad for close places....check the thread talking about Feb 22nd shipments, lots of other horror stories there....
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

After well over three thousand shipped, never had one lost yet...touch wood. Definately had some take way too long, but as said above that's been quite a topic recently with CP.
And 2% lost items, I would say, is not the norm. If we all had two out of every hundred shipments lost, the sellers here would be out of biz pretty quick.
But they do have us over a barrel, that's for sure. Not many good options out there to replace CP.
"Lego", hopefully your four refunds in a week are just an exception for you and not a rule.

Cheers,
AXE
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

You are not alone. I had atleast 10 items disappear around Christmas time. Delivery seems to be super slow too. To add to all this, my list of unpaid purchasers have gone through the roof this past month. Some never pay and the ones that do, they take several days. I wonder why this change?

I have never had as many unpaid items as I have had this year (actually beginning in December). I also received a message for PayPal today that a buyer's check had been declined by her bank for the second time (same transaction). That is 2 recently and I had never had one declined before in my 4 1/2 years of selling on eBay.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member
Unfortunatly I am having all of the same problems. Lost items, non-payments and slow shipping.

Even had a message from paypal that a buyer's bank reversed charges and now my $$ are being held until paypal does their investigation.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I haven't had the problems with CP, but when it gets over the border then it is out of their hands and into USPS.

I had a package that had the right address and USPS said the customer didn't live there. I went to PU the package and it cost me over $21 to pick it up, I didn't even pay that much to send.

Got this 800 number from CP to call, and got my $39.02 back in less than a week. Resent the package this time with the customer's phone number on it.

I have found that most of my packages are being delivered in record time, actually. Which has been a blessing.

As for the non-paying - big increase lately. Added at least 10 people to my blocked list since Jan.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Regarding delays my biggest problem is not anything outside Canada, it is problems with stuff just down the road! This is ever since mid February. Regularly lately stuff going to places under 250 KM away is taking 4 times as long as something to Europe....it shouldn't take 3 or 4 weeks to get something to Woodstock (100 KM away) or Toronto (250 KM away) whilst something to Netherlands gets there in 5 days. My experience is also sporadic, some days shipments go fast to close Canadians, sometimes slow.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

If you are having problems with CP within Canada, make claims asap.
You will find that even they will admit that their delivery standards are guaranteed, for example with Expedited, sometimes two or three days depending on where its going.
I've had several issues with Expedited stuff going 50 kms or less away taking more than three days to arrive. = REFUND!!!
If everyone starts making claims and holding them acountable, then maybe they will wake up.

What about offering free shipping on your more expensive items within Canada, and then when it doesn't arrive within the time frame they guarantee, make a claim and get your shipping $ back!!
No FVF on that now is there?! Maybe CP can help us make money!!
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Everything that is being delayed is lettermail (generally it is bubble envelopes). Everything else is going normal speed or at least in my experience.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

sweetwoodgrove
Community Member
I've lost 3 shipments since January. they were all US shipments so i think it has alot to do with cross border shipments. i too tried to make a claim to CP and they gave the same time frames (45 -75 days) for filing a complaint. they CP rep also stated that even if i put the claim in they have to try and track the item and there is no guarentee I would get any refund!!! So i somewhat feel i'm paying for shipping insurance for no reason. BUT i obviously loose out because i have to refund the customer and HOPE that CP pays out on the insurance claim.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

On Expedited you have Delivery Confirmation and often the cost is within pennies of the Small Packet Air rate.

Between us sellers, DC prevents a lot of INR claims.

If you are using Small Packet, I find them very quick on the insurance payouts, but it was indicated to me that they keep track of the claims. Too many and you may find them looking closer at all your claims.

CP rep also stated that even if i put the claim in they have to try and track the item and there is no guarentee I would get any refund!!!

They can only "track" Delivery Confirmed packages. Small Packet works on the honour system. (See "too many" above.)

If DC shows the item delivered, they will not pay out.

There are no guarantees on anything. Ever made a claim on your house or car insurance?
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Between us sellers, DC prevents a lot of INR claims.

Ain't that the truth. I don't remember the last time I got a 'where's my item' email; they stopped as soon as I started inserting the DC number into the eBay transaction record.

Ann
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I find it works even if the number is the shipping invoice number (from Light Packet and Small Packet) which have no DC element at all.

And it reassures the nervous buyer who wants to know that the parcel really is in the mail.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

dhslk
Community Member
I've NEVER had an item to the US go missing, in almost 8 years. I HAVE had a few buyers trying to claim non-delivery of items without tracking, but I contact them (often by phone, which really puts them off-guard) and ask them to be patient, etc., and their orders miraculously appear soon thereafter. I really think that there is a small subset of buyers who, almost as a matter of course, contact sellers hoping that they'll refund. When the seller doesn't automatically do so, they move on to the next gullible seller.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

I had a buyer contact me yesterday afternoon asking how long he should wait for this one item. He also commented that he liked the other items that he had received. I replied that I was not sure I understood as all of the items were shipped together in the same package. So far there has been no reply....?:|
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I had a buyer contact me yesterday afternoon asking how long he should wait for this one item. He also commented that he liked the other items that he had received. I replied that I was not sure I understood as all of the items were shipped together in the same package. So far there has been no reply....?:|

I received a reply today. Not only do buyers not read descriptions, it seems they also don't check their packages. In this case all of the rings he purchased were in one gift box.

Sorry. It had gsomehow gotten under the cotton. Thanks. Love it
Message 17 of 17
latest reply