Free Gifts

I have read the eBay policies but I was wondering how to take all of the buyers names who have purchased something from me (once a month) and draw a name for a free gift.

The policies state that you cannot offer a free gift IF YOU BUY my item but what about if I do this not because you have bought my item but because you were ONE BUYER who bought an item.

For example in my listing I could not put "Buy this item and receive a free gift" but COULD I put at the bottom of every listing "Once a month I draw a name from everyone who has purchased an item to receive a free gift"

I'm not telling buyers they will receive a free gift... I am drawing a name and one buyer will receive a free gift. Is this allowed or does eBay still consider this unfairly trying to get people to buy my item over someone else?

If I am not allowed to put it in my listing am I allowed to do it without telling buyers? For example, every month I draw a name and send the buyer a free gift (and in the package explain that their name was drawn to receive a free gift) but the only ones who know are the ones who have won?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Free Gifts

djp802
Community Member

Wow, I am glad I saw this. I wasn't aware that you couldn't include a bonus item with an advertised item. Thank you. I will change that right now.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

It's kind of sad that we can't. eBay looks at it like you are trying to make it so other sellers have a disadvantage if you are offering a bonus item with purchase.

I guess the only way to do it (and it would increase our feedback) is to send the free gift without telling the buyers we are sending them a free gift.

It's like mystery boxes. I listed a mystery box (before reading eBay policies) and within an hour my account was suspended for three days. No warning, nothing. I'm an honest person so my mystery box was great but I guess a few dishonest sellers made it so we could not advertise mystery boxes.

The only thing I wondered was why mine got shut down and I got suspended but I saw other mystery boxes advertised. Why was I singled out?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@jg01302 wrote:

I have read the eBay policies but I was wondering how to take all of the buyers names who have purchased something from me (once a month) and draw a name for a free gift.

You might want to read through eBay's "Chance Listings" policy -- look under "Additional Information - Bonus Items", at this link: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

Although you're not planning to actually list a lottery, raffle, etc., I'd be very, very cautious about running a post-sales draw for prizes/free gifts, etc. -- whether your customers are aware of the draw or not -- without doing your due diligence in advance.  I'd suggest you call eBay to see if they would allow it.  I suspect you may be told it is "eBay illegal".  If you go ahead without checking, it could get you kicked off the site if you're wrong. 

As far as "free gifts" with purchase are concerned, re-read the "Bonus Items" policy -- there are restrictions with respect to mentioning bonuses or gifts in titles/descriptions, etc. because that would be keyword manipulation or spamming, but nothing to prevent you from tucking a free gift into your outgoing parcels (or sending a customer an eBay gift certificate for purchases over a certain amount).  Again, I'd contact eBay to ask specifically about the permissibility of what you plan to do before you do it.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@jg01302 wrote:

The only thing I wondered was why mine got shut down and I got suspended but I saw other mystery boxes advertised. Why was I singled out?

You weren't singled out -- it's possible a buyer (or a competitor) may have reported the listing, or it's possible that yours just happened to be reviewed because you had other "red flags" that caught eBay's attention. 

As for "mystery boxes", again, please read the "Chance Listings" policy link I posted above.  This comes under the heading of "Grab Bag" listings.  Basically, eBay wants to make sure that buyers know precisely what they are paying for, so although there's nothing wrong with offering a group of items as a "lot", you must described the items in that lot to the best of your ability and (if possible) include at least one photo of each individual item.  Otherwise, several good photos of the batch of items are essential. 

For example, I know sellers who sell antique lace in "grab bags", perhaps 50 or 60 pieces of various types, sizes and colours.  They'll describe the bag of lace as such, giving approximate lengths (or indicating a range of lengths), and either count the number of pieces or indicate approximately how many pieces are included, along with 5 or 6 photos of the contents. 

As I mentioned earlier, since you've already had some attention drawn to you because of illegal listings, I'd be very cautious about embarking on any creative merchandising before you check with eBay.  In fact, it might be better just to stick to the basics of selling until you've got some more sales under your belt.  Check some of the advice and tips given by myself and other posters on your earlier questions about selling, and follow those for a while until you've established a seller status that permits you to try experimenting. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

<<You might want to read through eBay's "Chance Listings" policy ...at this link:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html  >>

Great posts about this subject. Smiley Happy   But okay, if <<eBay wants to make sure that buyers know precisely

what they are paying for>>, makes sense, then how is this able to continue?:

It's been going on for ages.  I don't see a whole lot of difference between this and the Mystery Items section

in the link you posted where it specifically says, "Mystery items are listings where the seller doesn't specifically

identify the contents, number, quality or condition of the items for sale.  Mystery item listings are not permitted."

Or does it fall under the Grab Bag category because the listing does, after all, make a few 'suggestions'.

Am I overlooking something obvious?  Or is it because the whole listing is a mystery in itself and is not being

used as a adjunct to induce people to buy something else?

Me, I don't see the harm in something like that and I figure if people want to toss their money away

on a who-knows-what surprise, well, if they think that's fun, .....

But it seems to me the listing "doesn't specifically identify the contents, number, quality or condition of the items

for sale".

What am I not seeing?

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@dmil8030 wrote:

What am I not seeing?

Wow -- I'd say this type of listing is clearly "eBay illegal".  In effect, it's both a "lottery"-type listing and a mystery listing.  A very novel and entertaining concept, certainly, but someone will eventually report it and eBay will remove it -- fast. 

There is a big difference between "Mystery" listings, where basically you pay your money and take your chances, not really knowing what you might get (a definite violation of eBay's rules), and a "Grab Bag" listing, where you pay your money and you have a pretty clear idea of what you're getting. 

Simply saying you might get this or that item isn't enough -- a seller has to at least show the contents of the 'grab bag' and give a generalized description of the items involved. 

As I mentioned, I see this a lot in old lace lots, boxes or bags of old sewing patterns, sometimes even a mixed lot of vintage clothing -- where the box full of "stuff" is shown from various angles, the contents described as a whole, and some idea given of the type and condition of the various constituents.  This is perfectly allowable, since the buyer has a fairly good grasp of what he/she is putting out good money for.  There may be a few pleasant (or unpleasant) surprises in the lot, but overall no surprise as to the type of item the buyer is purchasing.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@dmil8030 wrote:

Me, I don't see the harm in something like that and I figure if people want to toss their money away

on a who-knows-what surprise, well, if they think that's fun, .....

I was going to add that I imagine the harm eBay sees in this type of listing is that, despite the "fun" factor of such a concept, there would doubtless be buyers who would end up being upset, disappointed, or just plain angry if they received something for their $1.00 that they thought should have been different or better or more useful, etc.  EBay wants buyers to feel confident in the site and to keep coming back. 

The place for this kind of jokester box is at the Fun Fair or local swap meet for a good charity cause.  Obviously, this seller's disclaimers to the contrary, he or she has already made several hundred $1.00 "sales", partly at the expense of sellers who are following the rules, and partly at the expense of buyers who may have been put off at what they actually received. 

I'm not often one to agree uncritically with eBay's rules, but I can understand eBay having this policy.  As an online marketplace, if they freely allowed these sorts of "Mystery" listings, I can imagine the chaos and buyer backlash.  Some sellers would certainly take advantage by offering a surprise item for $20, and then sending out an old scrap of paper or whatever.  The abuse potential is unlimited. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

<< I'd say this type of listing is clearly "eBay illegal".  ... both a "lottery"-type listing and a mystery listing. >>

Haha, it didn't look right to me, not really, but ebay is so full of surprises that I'm no longer truly

shocked by anything.  And after too much late night tv, I'm a bit thick today.  Smiley Very Happy

So okay, I would also put these on the 'naughty list', -- what do you think?

As you say, a neat idea, but I would think that an ebay policy should either apply to everyone or not.

Or maybe these sellers simply don't know that fun though this may be, it's a no-no.

<<As an online marketplace, if they freely allowed these sorts of "Mystery" listings, I can imagine the chaos

and buyer backlash. >>

Haha, phew!  I'll say!  Considering how many people there are in the world who genuinely don't know

where to 'draw the line'.   . . .  Smiley LOL 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

Last point (I promise) -- take a look at that seller's FB!  Having 6 negatives for $1.00 random/mystery items (some of which apparently weren't shipped) just proves the point that people will be upset even when they know they may not get anything of any value whatsoever.  I had to laugh at the one who said he opened an eBay case for an item not delivered!  Really - LOL.  That's probably one buyer who will never be back to eBay. 

By the way, I just noticed the seller's eBay ID -- that probably says it all... Woman Wink

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@dmil8030 wrote:

So okay, I would also put these on the 'naughty list', -- what do you think?

Yes indeed - naughty, naughty.  I won't repeat the item #s here, as they'll probably get removed by the moderators, but this guy is even bolder.  Did you notice the reference to "no confetti", etc.?  It seems somebody is stealing from somebody's listing description, as the same thing was mentioned in the first example you posted.

Did you also see the negative FB from one customer who was deeply disappointed, and the response by the seller (rather galling, as it's likely completely untrue) that this was for a "fundraiser".  I highly doubt that.  EBay has facilities specifically for charities, which is a completely different thing.

No, this guy has not one, but two listings going for the same thing, and it seems he's pocketing even more money than naughty seller #1 above.  This isn't really funny for those of us who work hard to adhere to eBay's policies.  I'd hit the "report" button.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

They are not allowed for two reasons: chance, and buying feedback.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

Yes, I know I said last point up there ...

Here's a listing that is referred to as "random stuff", but is actually a "grab bag" -- the items aren't described in the text, but the photos give a pretty good idea of what's in the box. 

This listing would be fine I think, although the seller would have done better to actually set out a list of the contents in the description.  Still, the buyer can see what he's getting for the ca. $50 price, so this is not in the same league as the other three you mentioned. 

Personally I had no idea mystery listings still existed on eBay - I thought that kind of semi-fraudulent "selling" got weeded out long ago!

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

@mr.elmwood wrote:

They are not allowed for two reasons: chance, and buying feedback.

You're right, good point!  I hadn't thought about the unfair advantage of racking up FB points quickly at an easy $1 a piece with no worries about following normal selling rules.  Accumulate 500 points, then start selling as an "experienced" seller with fewer limits and restrictions than a newbie.  OK, no question, they need to be reported. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

A few months back there was a Chinese seller who had done this. Racked up a FB of 250 at a buck a throw. Then went on a selling spree and sold $250,000 in one day before getting shut down. They were "selling" electronics at pennies on the dollar and racking up thousands of individual sales. In about eight (8) hours.

Anyone doing anything like this is not an honest seller and deserves to be reported.
Photobucket
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

<<Yes indeed - naughty, naughty.  I won't repeat the item #s here,...>>

Hahaha, because you're smart, - and I'm not!  Smiley LOL

I just got a finger-wagging from the moderator that we can't post item numbers for the purposes

of acknowledging ebay violations.  Cynical me thinks the 'clean-up crew' is a bit selective. (ahem)

Seems we can only post a listing number for praise-related discussion.  Smiley Tongue

Well, I suppose anyone need only look for "Random Item" in the Search bar.  . . .  Have I said too much?

Are title hints not allowed here if there is a scintilla of a chance that one such example might lead others to

discover an infraction?

If one wants to find violations, one can easily search for all sorts of 'naughty' words, - all those items

not allowed, or brand name items, -- ooooh, the VeRO violations could be endless.

Oh well, haha, we did get to have a bit of a laugh with it.  And now I know, - those listings are indeed

committing a faux-pas.

And when I saw that other guy's user name after you mentioned it, -- my heavens, I laughed so hard

I nearly suffocated. Smiley Happy

What I don't know is why that earlier one lasted so long.  I too noticed the bit about the glitter and

confetti, and wondered if it is copying or do enough sellers put that stuff in envelopes that the phrase

is becoming as common as "smoke-free, pet-free home".

The listings didn't seem right to me, but then, nor does all that naked nudity readily available on ebay,

and I don't mean the adult section.  Sheesh, no wonder so many 13-year-old boys wind up on here.

Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

Yes, I see the over-zealous moderators even removed the listing # of the item I mentioned as an example of a permissible listing.  They're on a rampage I suppose. 

Well, I don't see the point in removing item numbers of violating sellers since those items are out there in the open for anybody to see in any event, but that's just my futile and useless opinion on the matter. 

In any case, we now know what to look for in this particular seller type -- report, report, report!  As for the "Parasyte", it should be easy to find him again...

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

<< I had no idea mystery listings still existed on eBay - I thought that kind of semi-fraudulent "selling"

got weeded out long ago!>>

I never really thought of it one way or the other, but I can see why these types of listings would not

be allowed.  As you say, they're simply too sketchy, and imagine the crookery if they were allowed!

But speaking of crookery and fraudulent, -- it seems to me that for ebay to get all twisted up about a little

creative merchandising, particularly that which, however tactless, is meant in good faith,  but do nothing

whatsoever about the shamelessly overt thievery meted out by Chinese sellers who perpetually choose

to not send the item to new users and deliberately delay them, -- lies for the purpose of stealing,  for ebay

to worry about a freebie promo or some hopefulbidder who wants to throw away a buck on a 'surprise',

well that's just a wee bit hypocritical in my view.

Nothing 'semi' about it, -- outright theft is not half-way.  When, oh when, will ebay install a button beside

the Search bar that we can click to "Keep China out of my Searches".

I know, I know, -- the day after never.  . . .  A cold day in Haddes?  . . . A month of Sundays.

<<...even removed the listing # of the item I mentioned as an example of a permissible listing.>>

Right, -  I'd wondered about that.  That's what irks me, - the inconsistency.  Either item numbers are

permitted, or they are not.  The policy should be applied equally and fairly.  And considering it is such

an innocuous thing - a listing number for a 'no-no' item, -- there are far worse things on the boards.

Sure, we shouldn't name names, but everyone can learn from seeing specific listings, - as you say, the

listings are already there!  It's not like someone posted a link to the personnel files!

Well, I enjoyed this board chat about what is and is not permitted.  Fortunately you were able to see

the listings before the numbers got deleted.  Without them, the discussion would not have been nearly

so informational.  I suppose that's the point.  Heaven forbid there should be any genuine clarification,

understanding, and comprehension going on.  That just wouldn't do.

Hrrmmpph.  I need a cup of tea. Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

Try

@rose-dee wrote:
  OK, no question, they need to be reported. 

Try to do it!  I can't come up with any combination of selections offered in ebay's reporting drop-down menus that comes up with 'chance listing' or 'grab bag' or anything remotely describing what he's doing.  And without selecting drop-downs you can't send in the report.

Edit:  no, no, I was wrong!  it's "listing practices", "other listing practices", "chance listings".  It can be done, lol!

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Free Gifts

I did report the listing: items prohibited - lottery tickets.

A report does not need the precision of a brain surgeon.  Anything that will make it to a pair of eyeballs at eBay will do. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
latest reply