Free Shipping Day in Canada on December 16th?

Does Canada participate in the Free Shipping Day, like the U.S. and some other countries?  I don't recall from past years.  If so, I'm going to postpone some purchases.

Have you participated as a seller?  Or been asked to by any of your buyers?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No, I don't think so, Canada Post had a promotional offer in Oct/16 on Tuesdays. The offer was for Free Shipping online anywhere in Canada for Canada Post Solutions for small Business Members.    

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

This was it.  The closest I've ever heard to Canada Post giving anything away:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Canada-Post-October-free-shipping-promo/m-p/353023

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yes, that was it.....

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

LOL!  I'd gone looking for it and then you won the race.   🙂   

Maybe its a good thing that CP does not offer freebies right now.  We'd all like something free for ourselves, but if in the very next breath Canada Post is bellyaching about not being sustainable unless they double the postage costs, tack on an extra "fuel" charge, add a processing fee to tracked items, and eliminate mail delivery altogether,  I don't think I could stand the noise.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have a pretty good memory... lol, although my facts may get mixed-up from time to time. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:
Maybe its a good thing that CP does not offer freebies right now.  ...

OP is talking about Sellers having a "free" shipping day -- not shippers (like CP) having free shipping.

I do agree, now is not the time for CP freebies -- the time for promos like that, is when business is either slow or when there is a new service to promote (Small Packet domestic would be nice).

-..-

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

wait for the new prices from January
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I'M SO SORRY .... I wasn't very clear in my earlier post. So I started a new thread because the first one refers to something I had not intended which is shipping by Canada Post.

The free shipping I'm referring to is by major retailers with guaranteed delivery by Christmas Eve.  This is something that began 8 years ago in the U.S. and then expanded to the U.K. and some other countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Shipping_Day

These are some of the retailers participating:

http://www.freeshippingday.com/

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Please see my new thread on this subject  I wasn't very clear about this.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Probably only free shipping within the USA. It sure wouldn't work here, I think Dec 14th was the last day to ship expedited packages to cities in Canada in order to arrive before Dec. 25th. Probably earlier for deliveries outside of major areas. But who knows, maybe major retailers can get faster delivery from Canada Post or maybe they ship by courier.

Not sure if I want to take a chance on finding the stuff I want by Dec. 16th. I ordered things online last night from a major retailer, they are out of stock at their warehouse so items will be sourced from their stores and will ship but will take longer to reach me. Mine aren't gifts so it's okay, but for some buyers that could be a problem.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Amazon Prime ships in 2 days using FedEx Express, Purolator Express or UPS.  And you don't have to join Prime ... you can choose the fastest shipping method on check-out.  Of course, this express shipping isn't offered free of charge.  So there are speedy shipping methods that could still reach us by Christmas Eve.  Whether retailers offer them for free iss another story.

I've been very lucky with deliveries.  I've been buying a lot of things from Hudson's Bay recently .... 3 business days tops for CP expedited delivery.  Same for Ricki's, Sephora and a number of other retailers and these were all this week.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If you google free shipping day Canada there is a list of retailers that currently have free shipping...it isn't for a specific day..  I didn't check any of them so I dont know if there is a minimum amount that you have to buy or if there is guaranteed delivery for Christmas.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

From looking online, I see that over 250 Canadian retailers participated in 2012 and over 100 in 2013.  I have not seen anything advertised this year, so maybe they all decided against it.  We certainly would have heard about it by now.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply