From beginning buyer indicated negative feedback

Hi all... so here is a question I have that is rather unusual... Sold an item May 10th to a buyer in Canada (we are also in Canada).. he received the item (cell phone) and it needed a new back as the back glass was cracked (this was listed in the description).  He received the item on May 15th and immediately messaged me and asked if he could return the item (our returns are 3 days if it doesn't function shipping back at buyers expense).  In the course of an hour he complained to me about the cost of the back of the phone and that the phone was slow, so I tried to see if we could understand by what he meant slow.. his reply was 'well this is going nowhere, I can see I can't return the phone so I will chalk this up to a loss and will leave appropriate feedback'.  I messaged back (all this communication was within an hour) and said that nowhere did I say this and that if the phone wasn't what he thought it would be, he can return it as I did not want him to have an item that he wasn't happy with.  So I instructed him as to what shipping service to use so that there is tracking, gave our address to ship the item back to and asked to post tracking number in the messages so that he and us and ebay were able to see the tracking number back.  He did NOT reply back.  I waited 24hours, still no tracking number so non May 16th I messaged back and politely asked about when he was planning to ship the item back and what the tracking number was. Again, no reply back.... so assumption was that the phone ended up ok... Tonight we received this message:

Hello, just letting you know that I'll be posting negative feedback. There is no way I can post positive feedback for this phone. Wanted to let you know so there is no surprise.

So again you see he is talking about feedback and negative feedback.  I called ebay, they are always pretty good and they just indicated to keep talking to him to work it out.. so I messaged back, I asked why he never replied on May 15th and 16th.. why he kept the phone and why he keeps talking about negative feedback..  he never replied to what I said, just said that this is going nowhere and that hes leaving negative feedback.. he then went on about paying 80$ for the back, 30$ for the case and 10$ for the screen protectors.. so as you can see a bit of buyers remorse, but in my message back I said that that was his choice because I accepted his request on the 15th to return the phone, and again on the 16th I was looking for the tracking number.. I also said, I didn't understand the concept of him 'chalking this up to a loss and leaving negative feedback' as I said to him that if it was me, and I received an item that wasn't as described he has an opportunity to open a case if he can't work with the seller, but then I said you can work with the seller.. I accepted his request, and then he chose to keep the phone and spend 120$ on the phone.. I said that was his choice and that the same day he requested a return I agreed then I didn't hear from him for 16days with the notice he will be leaving 'negative' feedback.. I again requested his assistance in showing me in our messages where he says that I say it was an 'inconvenience' for me to accept a return.. and I also asked why he kept the phone and fixed it if it's slower then his 3 year old phone.. his reply was 'do not message me again'....

sorry.. a bit winded.... any advice... no negative yet... but how would you handle a seller like this.. I mean, the phone is no good, he requested a refund, I said yes, he didn't ship, then is complaining on what he spent... and all along, no case, no word for 16days.... then the notice of negative feedback coming??

help... thanks...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I suppose you could let him know that you are sending him a shipping label from you chosen shipper. In other words, you are paying for the return shipping.

But actually, there is no problem with the phone and he is fishing for a partial refund.

Even if you did give a partial, there is no reason to believe that he will leave positive feedback.

And with such an entitled individual, I would expect at best no feedback at all, since it is too much like work. Equally likely, negative.

It is my understanding, that with the threats of neg FB on record, eBay will remove it fairly quickly.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I would of just offer to pay return shipping.. Not that the buyer is right but sometimes it is just easier to lose a few bucks then deal with months of messaging .. Time is money and for me to play cat and mouse with a customer for weeks on end is not worth it ..

I mean really you are in the right but sometimes taking the few dollar loss is worth it

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

hi and thank you for your replies.. I missed saying, but I actually said that I would pay for return shipping not a problem.. then his reply (before telling me not to message him again) is the money he had to spend on the phone... I in turn said that it was his choice to do this as I told him I would accept the return the same day as he received the phone... and you are right... the threat of negative feedback yet yesterday and none yet... way too much like work.. I think I should tell him not only I will pay for his return shipping again, I will pay for the back, the case and screen protectors... My wife said, as have you, all he is doing is wanting some money back without actually asking...and if we gave, he would just perhaps leave negative anyways... l have been a member since 2000 and only really selling since about 2 years now, but this has to be the strangest transaction I have come across personally... thank you for your input.. I guess I wait to see what he does.. best thing!!  thanks again!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yep. Just stop communicating.

Your wife is right. We always are. :-x

Don't poke a sleeping dog with a stick.

If (at worst) he leave negative feedback, you can leave a Response. While Responses should be calm and factual,they are not required to be positive.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sometimes it's just better to stay quiet. You cannot beat controlling or competitive type at their own game, sometimes it's easier to sit back and enjoy the show. Controlling type needs to vent and feel in control, so just listen and acknowledge their concerns in short and emotion neutral way and lead them to believe they are in control of the situation. Competitive type needs to win, let him win in some small petty way and they get gracious after the "victory". Always protect your interests, sometimes its small financial loss, other times it's a feedback plunge.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

and just an fyi... neg feedback was left and I talked to right up to trust and safety... wasn't removed.... any advice??

Message 7 of 7
latest reply