Frustrated by US sellers!!

I have no issues with US Sellers only wanting to ship to US Buyers, no issues what so ever, but if you only want to ship to the US then only post your item on eBay.com and stop listing items as "will ship to US and many other countries" then in the description below saying "US Buyers Only, will not ship outside US" "Stop Asking", etc... If you only want to sell to US then list your shipping as US only and list on eBay.com...figure it out!!!! I have read more than 20 listings similar to this and almost bid on a couple before reading the fine print below. 

Also, if they list it this way, can they be legally obligated to ship to me in Canada? Saying they will ship to US and many other countries but then altering that in the description? I don't think i would ever do that to someone cause it wouldn't eb worth the hassle and would not doubt end up in a dispute, just curious I guess. Also, is this on eBay's radar and are they doing anything to monitor and correct this. I don't know if its an issue for anyone else but its driving me absolutely insane, looking at multiple listings daily on ebay.ca and seeing US only goods....bad enough the exchange rate is through the roof, but dealing with this too, makes me think twice about even looking here for goods

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I stopped shipping to the US due to the fact I was losing money. Why ship to the US when I can just ship within Canada? They were probably losing money shipping to Canada.  They should have changed their listing to show this though. I made sure all mine say Canada only.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Never put down to conspiracy what can be explained by stupidity and laziness.

There is a Report button on every listing. Use it.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@ceebeestars wrote:

I have no issues with US Sellers only wanting to ship to US Buyers, no issues what so ever, but if you only want to ship to the US then only post your item on eBay.com and stop listing items as "will ship to US and many other countries" then in the description below saying "US Buyers Only, will not ship outside US" "Stop Asking", etc... If you only want to sell to US then list your shipping as US only and list on eBay.com...figure it out!!!! I have read more than 20 listings similar to this and almost bid on a couple before reading the fine print below. 

These sound like sellers who have unwittingly enrolled in the Global Shipping Program.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@jg01302 wrote:

I stopped shipping to the US due to the fact I was losing money. Why ship to the US when I can just ship within Canada? They were probably losing money shipping to Canada.  They should have changed their listing to show this though. I made sure all mine say Canada only.

Why ship to the U.S.?? Because they have a customer base 10 times larger than what we have in Canada.

Also, many Canadians shop exclusively on .com and if you do not have shipping to the U.S., your listings will not show on .com  You shouldn't be losing money on shipping if you price your items and/or shipping costs so that all of your expenses are covered. You don't have to start an auction off at .99.

I realize that you are at a disadvantage as shipping from your location is likely more expensive than what it is from more central parts of Canada but you really might want to figure out a way to price your items so that it doesn't cost you to sell here.

It is certainly your right to lose money but w

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@ceebeestars wrote:

Also, if they list it this way, can they be legally obligated to ship to me in Canada? Saying they will ship to US and many other countries but then altering that in the description? I don't think i would ever do that to someone cause it wouldn't eb worth the hassle and would not doubt end up in a dispute, just curious I guess. Also, is this on eBay's radar and are they doing anything to monitor and correct this. I don't know if its an issue for anyone else but its driving me absolutely insane, looking at multiple listings daily on ebay.ca and seeing US only goods....bad enough the exchange rate is through the roof, but dealing with this too, makes me think twice about even looking here for goods

Thanks!

Those sellers are listing on .com but ebay is allowing them to be seen on .ca. Part of the problem is that there are a couple of steps a seller has to take when listing in order to block other countries. If they don't do all of the steps then they may think that the other countries are blocked but ebay doesn't show the listings that way.

Basically...listing on ebay can be confusing and some sellers are more confused than others. 🙂

It can definitely be frustrating for a buyer and I'm not sure why things are set up the way that they are.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I don't care if my stuff sits for a year. I am not selling to the US anymore. I'm also not listing things for 99 cents anymore. I will just keep relisting and if it sells, it sells. It's not like this is my job. I have a job. It's a hobby.

I am annoyed at the last 99 cent item I did though. It's a shirt (New with tags $29.99) and a buyer won it for 99 cents. I put it in a padded envelope, with their address on it, ready to ship.

Do you think they paid me the 99 cents? No. I have it set up that eBay automatically opens unpaid cases after four days so I was informed today that is what they did. IT'S 99 CENTS. Pay for it!!!!!

Thanks to the new system if I cancel the transaction I get a defect. Ridiculous.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks to the new system if I cancel the transaction I get a defect. Ridiculous.

You do not get a defect when a sale is cancelled because the buyer hasn't paid.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hello 'ceebeestars',

What you are seeing are listings from American sellers in the hated (by Canadians) GSP, or

Global Shipping Program.

American sellers were roped into that whether they wanted it or not.  A seller who has always had his

listings set up for US-only may not even know his wares appear internationally.  There is truly no fraud

going on.

If you buy the item, you will receive it (eventually) because the seller ships his item to Kentucky, where

it is rerouted (and sometimes repackaged!) and sent on to you in Canada.  There are some US sellers

who like the system because they maintain that their obligation ends when the item arrives in Kentucky.

Other US sellers who value Canadian business have taken their listings out of the GSP to make them

more 'Canada friendly'.  One US seller I have bought from occasionally once told me that half his stuff

comes to Canada.  Probably an exaggeration, but still . . . . .

When you see that phrase Ships to:  United States and many other coutries, -- that is a seller who formerly

had his/her listings set up for US-only.  Other clues:

When you scroll through the listings, be sure your Search is set up for List, not Gallery, and as you scroll

down you will see the grey announcement Customs services and international tracking provided. 

That means GSP, and the seller may be content about shipping internationally - or not. 

When you click on a GSP listing it shouts out "No additional import charges at delivery!", as if they were

giving you a real bargain.  It's not the seller who's put that in, it's the GSP folks.

Most Canadians avoid GSP listings like a highly contagious fatal disease.

If you like the item and the listing does not specifically say 'no outsiders', you could always ask if the seller will

ship it to you using plain old USPS First Class International to Canada.  The cost would be a lot less than the GSP fee.

But you're right, -- Americans who do not want to sell outside the US should not be made to, and in the past

there was a perfectly adequate system.  Those sellers who were internationally-friendly could set up their listings

and offer First Class or Priority, and the isolationists could keep themselves to themselves.

In future you might like to try to avoid GSP listings like the rest of us, -- and ask yourself this:  Even if you do

get the item, do you really want to buy from someone who in any other circumstance would not want you

to have it?

Best of luck  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
latest reply