Fun with Taxes on a Return ......... NOT

I sold 3 items to a buyer for a total oaf about $750 US.

She kept one and returned 2.

The package was insured and valued at $580 and marked as a return.

They wanted me to pay just under $80 in taxes etc., and so I sent the parcel to customs for an appeal.

After a phone call where she couldn't use her computer to see the sale, I faxed them detailed paperwork with photos of the items in the box and the receipt for the sale etc.

Apparently they don't have email.

Today the item arrived at my door again and they want $80 in taxes etc.

I have no idea what happened.

I can't get anyone on the phone and I've left messages all day.

Yikes.

just want to say:  If you get returns over a certain amount be prepared.

Customs does not care if the package is marked "return."

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you collect it and are in an HST province, paying the HST on the return trip sort of just prepays what you'd owe them on other sales anyway, ie it would end up as an ITC credit and they probably will still ding you the $9.95 fee either way....and would save you the likely stress related injuries you'll get trying to get them to drop it.....

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm sure you're right.

A government office that doesn't have email???

What's that all about?  Avoidance maybe?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Probably so they aren't emailing all their friends instead of helping people like you! (So that's what they use their phones for 😉 )
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Look at the back of the customs form that the Post office gave you. You will find the instructions for appeal & refund. Just send the information by snail mail. Include a printout of the original sale, a printout of the refund if any, a copy of the original mailing receipt and a brief explanation.

You'll get a cheque in about 3 - 4 weeks.

You MIGHT even get a refund of the Canada Post charge (make sure to ask for it in the note).

In future if you have an International return it should be clearly marked "Canadian Goods Returned For Credit/Exchange" If it just said "return" that's not always sufficient.

Alternatively if you are GST registered you can just claim it back as an ITC.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

I'm sure you're right.

A government office that doesn't have email???

What's that all about?  Avoidance maybe?

emails do not have the same legal status as a FAX which is why there are still a few places that insist on a fax over an email.

There are also many Federal departments where access to email is restricted, the Customs computers may be on an Intranet that is not connected to the public internet system.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

recped, I've done that before but this time the delivery guy told me he could return it to customs for re-assessment.

I didnt know that was possible before and so I went with that.

I thought it would be faster and save the handling fees but something went wrong.

I faxed the paperwork they wanted.   I even included pictures of what was in the box.

It was still re-delivered with an asking fee of almost $80 but all the custom's paperwork had been removed and the box was opened.

Now I wouldn't be able to appeal if I paid because the paperwork is gone.

I think they forgot to change things with the PO.

In the meantime a very good customer is getting annoyed waiting for her refund.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yeah from the sounds of things customs figured it out but mangled the passing of the info along to Canada Post.

No way would I pay the $80 If the E14 form isn't provided.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply