Gift v. Merchandise on Customs Sticker ~Pros & Cons~

jaymor8
Community Member
I would love to know what the consensus is on marking gift versus merchandise on the customs sticker for non-businesses on Ebay. I realize that different factors apply to businesses.

Personally, I find it very hard to mark 'merchandise' on USED goods. I also know that the goods don't qualify as 'gifts' either because money has changed hands. I think there should be a third choice, like 'MYOB' or something equally as intellectual.

Any opinions?

Jackie...
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

deltone
Community Member
I just mark gift all the time. Started doing that when I first started and never stopped. Doesn't make a difference in the end though because the Americans don't get charged duties or taxes unless the item is of a pretty high value, of which I'm not sure what that amount is. I do think that in some ways it's "dangerous" putting what the item is, on the custom's form. Example........a high priced, hard to find item may be stolen seeing that you have to put what it is right on the package.

Also, just thought about this one........what if it was some sort of personal item..........something the buyer might not want the postie to know what it is......how embarrassing could that get! LOL
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Delt...oh I know what you mean. If it were going to be an antique 'French Tickler'...that could be horribly embarrassing.

I agree with you all the way. If the packet isn't insured, this less info the better, as far as I'm concerned. There are enough hazards to ebay without making it a crap shoot on shipped items arriving at their destinations.

Like I said...unless you are a business where details are important...it's nothing less than kind and thoughtful to help our customers avoid a potential customs fee. Rrrrrrrrright?

Jackie...
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
I am the same way. All packages are marked gifts and of a small value. I am not going to pay $20.00+ to ship a $500.00 US item and declare that kind of value. It worries me that it could be stolen. Putting it down as a $5.00 piece of costume jewelry makes me feel more comfortable. With the lowering of the value on my packages so far I have never had one not arrive. Keep my fingers crossed though. I am sure US buyers are tax exempt to $1000.00 US a year. I just wish some more of the US sellers would be more like us when it came to this. When I bring things into Canada it can cost me a fortune in duties. But I always account for that in the purchase.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Yep Fire....I completely agree. I do whatever it takes to make it easier on the customer in hopes that that activity will be reciprocated. Let's face it kiddo...the gov got it's cut when we bought the item, it gets it's cut on the savings we may have from good sales and it gets it's cut on our paychecks before we even get to spend it. We earn, we buy, we sell...we pay! Where does it end?

What does 'free trade' mean? Pardon my ignorance but I guess I just don't get it.

Jackie...
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Sorry folks, just can't agree with the consensus on this one.

Marking it down as a gift when it is in fact a sale is tantamount to lying to customs. I just don't want to put myself, or my business, in that form of jeopardy.

Marking as a sale does not in any way change things at the other end. Duty no longer exists on sales to the USA because of FTA and NAFTA. And Don, marking it down as a reduced value also makes you a target of customs if a random inspection determines that your $5 item is really worth $500. If customs determines through a random inspection that you have deliberately made an effort to deceive them they can get pretty aggressive (nasty).

It really is no different than driving across the border and being less than truthful to a customs inspector at the crossing. You may think that it is a very inconsequential matter but, I can assure you, I have never met a customs inspector that didn't take their job very seriously. I have spent more than 30 years involved with import/export and I have done business with Canada Customs up close and personal. I even used to go to Expos ball games in Montreal years ago with a whole group of them from Ottawa.

I don't see a single benefit in marking it as a gift. No one can explain to me who really benefits from this deception and to what degree. On the other hand, from personal knowledge, I do know the potential consequences.

Bill

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

firedept10
Community Member
Bill,

You are right about them finding the item to be worth more. This has happened to me when a US seller lowered the value of their own choice. I did not ask. But it did hold up my items at the border for over a month. But I have also been mailed things from my family in the US from relatives estates and Customs went and told me to get the real value for them. These things were willed to me and the real value was sentimental not cash. So it seems to be a chance you take. Customs is generally pretty good though and has never been aggressive. Or at least they have not been with me when I produce what they require. I have been told by a personal friend who works for Canda Post that it is a crap shoot with Customs. They just randomly choose 5% of all packages to tax as this is all they can handle do to staff shortages. I do see your point though.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
Antique French Tickler? Reminded me of a joke.

So this guy gets a job at an adult novelty store. He spends the first morning learning about the layout of the store, the stock room etc. At lunch time, his manager tells him they will take turns going for lunch so the store will not go unattended.

"Just do your best. There's prices on everything", said the manager, and he steps out for a quick lunch.

Not two minutes later, a lady comes in looking for a dildo. The new guy shows her the ones behind the counter, explaining they have black ones and white ones in small, medium and large. She chooses a small one. She pays $25, thanks him and leaves. His first sale!

Next, a lady comes in, also looking for a dildo. She looks over the selection, chooses a big one, pays $50 and leaves. Another satisfied customer!

Just then a big strapping lady comes in, looking for, you guessed it. He shows her the selection. "No, no, no. I want something BIG", she says. He shows her the biggest one he's got and still she is not happy. Then he reaches down under the counter and pulls out this huge plaid one and her eyes light up! Almost breathless, she pays $250 and leaves.

When the manager returns, he asks his new employee how things went while he was gone.

"Amazing!", said the salesguy. "I sold a small dildo for $25, a large one for $50 and I got $250 for my thermos!".

Oh yeah. I write gift on everything. No Biggie.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Bird....ROFLMAFO. Great joke. I will have to tell that one to my Mom.

I write gift too and as long as I am not a business, I will continue to do so!!

Jackie...
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

catseye*
Community Member
I mark down the value as the amount the customer paid. I normally just fill out the little green slips, and the choices are GIFT or SAMPLE (only the US slips have merchandise as a choice). Since my item is neither, I don't check anything.

Never any complaints, never any problems.

*JMHO* - to be taken with a grain of salt!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
I don't check either one, and for value I usually state NCV for No Commercial Value. I've never quite understood how the value can be what the bidder paid for an item -- sometimes it's the last piece the buyer needs to complete a set and he pays way more than he should! That's certainly not the true value -- just a lucky vendor!! Mind you, I'm selling old tokens and they really don't have a commercial value - the merchant that issued them is usually long gone, and just try using an old dairy token to get a bottle of milk at Safeway 😕

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Under $200.00 U.S. and the customer does not pay a cent in duties.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply