Glitch or new policy?

It seems that it doesn't matter what length of time you specify for combined shipping. If the person does not pay until they are finished shopping eBay combines them automatically even if it is outside the specified time.

I could find no way to uncombine them even if I marked them as payment not received. This buyer did not answer emails and seemed to know that she could do this and get away with it. Of course I will ship them together. They are small items and it is not worth risking negative feedback. However, if she had purchased a large quantity of larger items, it could have cost me a bundle for extra shipping fees.

Is this a glitch or another eBay ruse to get us to give in more and more to the buyer to boost sales?

If it becomes a problem, I will have to ask for immediate payment. I don't want to do that because having to refund to combine shipping all of the time is a time wasting pain in the a**.

I have never had this happen before. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Judy
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Glitch or new policy?

Judy,

A buyer can add items seemingly forever.

I have a buyer in Brazil who adds items 1-2x per week and pays once per month.

I am unsure as to why you are concerned. What is the difference if a buyer buys a large quantity of items today or spreads this out over a longer time (except you might have to wait a bit longer to get paid)?

I specifically encourage buyers to keep on buying as long as they like and as much as they like. Every purchase they make, I make a profit. Every purchase they make I charge an incremental shipping charge.

My bigger problem is that, if someone buys 10-20 items, my actual shipping cost is often less that 1/2 of what they pay.

The trick is to charge additional shipping fees per item and set your shipping rules in eBay to automatically add these incremental amounts - works really great for us!:-)

Xena
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

The trick is to charge additional shipping fees per item and set your shipping rules in eBay to automatically add these incremental amounts - works really great for us!

Actually, I do the same. And it would not likely cost me more for shipping...I am contradicting myself now.

Buyers didn't used to be able to add things and have the combined shipping calculated without the seller combining the purchases after the set date. In two years, I have had only a couple that wanted a longer period of combined shipping. Most are quite happy with 7 days. I find those that extend things tend to be buyers who don't pay. In this case she did pay.

My main beef is that once again eBay is overriding sellers' policies. Why have set combined shipping times or return policies in the first place if buyers do not have to abide by them?
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

Judy,

I did not realize that the system previously capped this at 7 days (if one choose to set this).

When a newbie buys over a longer time, I generally ask for "down payment", promising to hold the shipment for them to add more at reduced shipping costs. I also advise them to drop me note when done shopping as I will have to generate the next invoice manually (adjusted, extra, shipping cost).

Xena
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Judy,

If you go into your SITE PREFERENCES and look under Shipping Presets...you'll see there is a place that says:

Edit Combined Payments
To offer combined shipping on your listings, you need to offer combined payments. After the time period expires, buyers will have to check out for each item one at a time.

Allow buyers to send one combined payment for all items purchased.

Time period for combined purchases : 3 days5 days7 days14 days30 days (recommended)

You can select which one you want and then click save.

Hope this helps!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

Edit Combined Payments
To offer combined shipping on your listings, you need to offer combined payments. After the time period expires, buyers will have to check out for each item one at a time.

Hi Susan,

I have always had it set that way. I checked my preferences anyway and still have the same settings. In the past, the shipping would not combine automatically when the time period expired. This time it combined purchases made 12 days apart even though my settings are for 7 days. And I do allow them to send one combined payment. Accepting them all separately would be too time consuming.

Xena,

I have very few buyers who want combined shipping over 7 days. Also I find it easier to manage within the 7 day period because there are so many who pay for items separately even when you tell them not to pay until they are finished shopping. I have one right now who has purchased multiple items and paid separately for them necessitating giving a refund on more than one of them because eBay will not let you give a bigger discount than the shipping total.

Basically, the system did not work this time and allowed the sales to be combined when they should not have. That is why I wonder if there is another glitch.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Judy
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

there are so many who pay for items separately even when you tell them not to

I have an English customer who does this 3-4 times a week, sometimes 2-3 times a day.

I refund as often as he pays, with his apology following pretty well every single time.

This has been going on since the spring.

What can I say? They guy buys and buys and buys.... all part and parcel of running a business I guess 😄

Xena
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Glitch or new policy?

Isn't it funny how they never learn?

And it is part of doing business. You run into all kinds of things when dealing with people. Personally, though, I still prefer seeing my customers face to face.

Judy
Message 8 of 8
latest reply