Harper gang helps fellow gang member after scam discovered

OTTAWA — The Prime Minister's Office was dragged into the Senate housing allowance scandal Wednesday with the stunning development Stephen Harper's right-hand man cut a $90,000 cheque to help Sen. Mike Duffy.

A spokesman for the prime minister confirmed that Nigel Wright, Harper's chief of staff, wrote a cheque from his personal account to help his friend repay inappropriately claimed housing benefits.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/05/15/mike-duffy-given-90k-by-nigel-wright-to-pay-back-housing-expenses-...

Photobucket
Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Don't worry, this is just a test to see how naive Conservative supporters are.

If they get away with this, the next step is going to be direct deposit deductions from all CPC members and known supporters (i.e. all supporters, thanks to institutionalized invasion of privacy - er - security)  to pay for vacations for PMO staff + spouses for a monthly trip to purchase essential wardrobe items and accessories on Rodeo Drive.

If, at that point, no one clues in, I think I may volunteer for the Mars trip...

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

Duffy is now irrevocably part of Harper and his crew. I didn't know a soul was worth just 90 grand, unless this was just the final payment.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 64
latest reply

Duffy refused to co-operate with the auditors. In one email he wrote: “I stayed silent on the orders of the PMO.”

You almost need a special emotiCON for Mike Duffy.

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

All Duffy did was he tried to take advantage of a loop hope in the tax system.

Lots of people do it.

It's not criminal.

He did what practically everyone else who draws a paycheck from the government does.

I'm sure if he was a liberal during Martin's days that one of Martin's cronies would have offered to bail him out.

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

Lots of people do it.

It's not criminal.

He did what practically everyone else who draws a paycheck from the government does.

I must make a note of that. What heading do I put it under? How about "Taking taxpayers money is ok, if you can find a loophole"? Or......"Being a corrupt politician is normal so why waste time trying to stop it"? Or...."Everyone does it so what's the big deal"!

But how about we take it a bit further..........if "everyone" else does it and has for a longggg time then how much money is that costing the taxpayer?

I remember a guy once who complained about the WASTE of MONEY because the London Library left too many lights on at night.

I'm sure if he was a liberal during Martin's days that one of Martin's cronies would have offered to bail him out.

You're "sure"? "Sure" is a pretty positive statement. Based on what?

Photobucket
Message 7 of 64
latest reply

just wondering what kind of receipts have been submited for Mr. trudeau Latley since he has barley shown up for work(showed up for 6% of all votes held) since declaring he would run for the leadership of the Liberal party. And since winning the leadership has missed a lot of days while touring the county. Is he still be paid as a member of parliment even though he is NOT going to work

Might be real interesting to see what might come up.

ok attack away-LOL

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

A Great Rabbi stands, teaching in the marketplace. It happens that a husband finds proof that morning of his wife's adultery, and a mob carries her to the marketplace to stone her to death.

Rabbi goes to her and stops the mob as in the other story and says, 'Which of you is without sin? Let him cast the first stone.'

As people opened their hands and let their stones fall to the ground, the Rabbi picks up one of the fallen stones, lifts it high over the woman’s head and throws it straight down with all his might, crushes her skull and dashes her brain among the cobblestones. ‘Nor am I without sins,’ he says to the people, ‘but if we allow only perfect people to enforce the law, the law will soon be dead.’

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

Religious leaders have always been power hungry.

But that aside........... It is not "perfect people" who enforce the law because there are too many imperfect law enforcers out there. The laws are written to protect the people and bring justice and balance in society (well, most of them)...... so the law is an inanimate object until someone invokes it into action.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 64
latest reply

The big difference between Duffy and the library is, is that he is trying to get money for a legitimate allowance and the library doesn't know enough to turn the lights off when they don't need them on.

Do you leave the lights on rooms that are not in use?

Do you leave the shower running after you're done?

Do you run the dryer without a load of wet laundry?

There is a liberal senator who tried for the same allowance and is under investigation as well. She has chosen not to pay the money back and fight it instead.

If you don't think that one of Martin's cronies would have helped a liberal senator in Duffy's position that is up to you.

The reason why people look for loop holes when filing their taxes is because there is a perception that the government wastes money.

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

Waste is waste. Doesn't matter if it's a municipal government wasting taxpayer money with lights or a senator wasting taxpayer money because he found a loophole (and he actually didn't, he claimed falsely).

I've said a million times......in Ontario and in Canada we have all the money we need and could even lower taxes if we really knew how wasteful our politicians are from municipal to Provincial to Federal. The day will come that because of technology the "people" will be able to vote on everything that is spent by politicians. It's probably a long way away, but it will happen.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

Duffy affair being termed as "end-of-regime behaviour" by former Tory strategist.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/tories-cut-ties-senator-mike-duffy-165620074.html

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

So where is Harper standing in front of the cameras and saying that what Duffy did was wrong and abominable to the people of Canada? Did I miss it?

The article writer is right, Harper will distance himself from Duffy as he has from Brazeau, but nonetheless the smell will still linger in the PM office and at the election.

I'll never understand why politicians can't do the right thing that needs to be done when it needs to be done. I don't care what party it is, if you have someone who breaks party or government rules and does so knowingly then they should be gone, history, adios.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 64
latest reply

I'll never understand why politicians can't do the right thing that needs to be done when it needs to be done.

The real shame of it was that when Paul Martin tried to come clean (on behalf of the Chretien Liberals) on the sponsorship scandal ~ that seems to be what brought him down.

Even though the entire sponsorship affair was dust in the wind compared to the excesses of the Harperocracy.

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

Even though the entire sponsorship affair was dust in the wind compared to the excesses of the Harperocracy.

The final results with the Gomery Commission concluded that $2 million was awarded in contracts without a proper bidding process, $250,000 was added to one contract price for no additional work, and $1.5 million was awarded for work that was never done. None of this was right, it was wrong but in the big scheme of things it was peanuts. That's not defending the Liberals or attempting to minimize it in any way, but I honestly think that if Canadians knew how much money was misspent, wasted and handed out illicitly by governments from municipal to provincial to federal.........it would be in the Billions.

Also what amazes me is when governments are asked for information or reports or papers pertaining to a subject they refuse to bring them forward. Politicians are not Kings or Queens, they are servants of the people and using the money of the people! There should be a law if we ask for something we want it NOW...........or out the politician goes!

Photobucket
Message 17 of 64
latest reply

Lots of people do it.

Some loophole! - you misrepresent where you live AND are dumb enough to think that people won't notice. Then you get paid off by a Conservative bagman. Good gorf.

I still can't believe Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Chief of Staff Nigel Wright gave this tub o lard a cheque for $90,000!!

Although it won't probably be thought of this way - IMO the worst of this whole situation is Harper's monumental lack of judgement in appointing these farcical comic book characters to the Senate. Are there no Conservatives who would truly be considered worthy of Senate appointment??

Even many of those who haven't been total embarrassments, such as say Linda Frum, are glaringly devoid of merit. (she is an "author" - wrote a book about her mom Barbara).

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

Linda Frum.....daughter of journalist Barbara Frum.......and sister of David Frum, speechwriter for Harper's hero George W Bush. Need I say more?

Photobucket
Message 20 of 64
latest reply