Harper to seek prorogation of Parliament until October

Stephen Harper says he’s hitting the reset button on Parliament and delaying reopening the Commons until October.

The Prime Minister announced his fall plans during the second day of his annual northern Canadian summer tour.

The Commons was originally scheduled to return Sept. 16. Prorogation means unfinished legislation dies on the order paper, although bills in progress can be returned to the stage they were at with unanimous consent of the House or a majority vote.

Prorogation is often done during majority governments to signal a new legislative agenda. The new sitting will begin with a Speech from the Throne.

The Prime Minister's Office said ‎Mr. Harper would ask that Parliament be prorogued before September 16, when MPs were due back, and so the Commons will not meet again until October.

Sources say while the timing is not set in stone the Commons is expected to return at some point after Thanksgiving.

The Conservative Leader said in response to a question that he plans to run again in an expected 2015 federal election.

"Of course, yes," Mr. Harper said when asked during a stop at a Whitehorse machine shop. "I'm actually disappointed you feel the need to ask that question," the Prime Minister said with a smile.

Mr. Harper boasted Sunday night that his party had fulfilled 84 of the more than 100 campaign pledges it had made during the 2011 election.

"There will be a new Throne Speech in the fall. Obviously, the House will be prorogued in anticipation of that," he said.

"We will come back in October, [that] is our tentative timing."

He said the No. 1 priority for his government will continue to be jobs and the economy.

"We remain in a very difficult, fragile and competitive global marketplace and we think there is much more to be done to secure Canada's economic potential and economic future."

Mr. Harper said the Throne Speech will lay out his agenda for the second half of his political mandate.

Mr. Harper's reboot of his government, which had a difficult spring because of controversies such as the Senate expense scandal, includes a shakeup in the Prime Minister's Office which is already underway.

He'll also rally the troops in late October during the Conservative Party's convention – held every two years  – where the Tory Leader will work to mend fences with his base which is upset with the Senate scandal.

Mr. Harper needs to encourage the Conservative Party rank and file to start preparing for the countdown to the 2015 election.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-to-prorogue-parliament-until-october/article1384...

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Again, Harper shows what a true dictator he is. The sooner he is gone, the better.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

How soon McGuinty and all his scandals are forgotten.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Where were the protests when McGuinty prorogued provincial parliament?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Good stuff, that otta through a wrench into CBC's Power and Politics daily program for a spell.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

"How soon McGuinty and all his scandals are forgotten."

Quite true.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have been trying to post this for half an hour.  They keep telling me that it has been posted multiple times,etc.  etc.  I'll try it with this added.

"How soon McGuinty and all his scandals are forgotten."

Quite true.

It doesn't seem that they have been forgotten just yet.  In fact, it would appear that the opposition has a pitbull-like hold on the scandals of the McGuilty era and are concentrating on nothing else.

They will never convict McGuilty of any wrongdoing, even though we all know that the whole gas plant cancellation stinks of political opportunism if not a fraudulent waste of taxpayer dollars. 

Let's face it, we seem to be stuck in an era where politicians operate from a standpoint of what is best for their party and not what is best for the city/province/country.  One only has to look at the NDP in Ontario.  By allowing the Liberals to stay in power for so long - not to get budget concessions - but to delay an election that they were not in a position to win because they had not even nominated candidates - the NDP has clearly aided and abetted the Liberals wrongdoings.  If there is any legal action against the Liberals, Andrea Horwath should be charged as a co-conspirator. 

As for the smarmy Tim Hudak, he may appear to want an election.  However, any election in which he fails to win a majority or even a minority will be the end of his career as PC party leader - and he knows it.  My guess is that if the NDP brought in a motion of non-confidence in the Liberals, Hudak would not support it. 

The results of the recent by-elections in Ontario clearly indicates that no party is in a position to gain a majority.  In spite of the McGuinty scandals, the Liberals still managed a better result than most expected. 

So, Ontario continues at a stalemate with the Liberals (and their NDP partner) continuing to act in their own interests.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply