Has anyone else been scammed by a Chinese art dealer on EBay?

I bought 3 "original" oil paintings from a Chinese seller on EBay
Yes they turned out to be "original copies" and not the ones they pictured in their ad.
Nowhere in their ad did they indicate they were only selling copies of these paintings.
Further investigation revealed the pictures they are posting are those of the original artists work (with their signature photo shopped out of course). Nowhere do they mention the original artists name or permission to sell copies of their paintings. I have proof with pictures for two of the three paintings (the ad, the original artists work, and what I received)

I haven't paid more shipping money to return them yet, 2 of the 3 aren't bad copies, but nothing as good as the originals.

I just posted the truth on the feedback. They are so upset they are offering my money back and to keep the paintings too, if I change the feedback. It is tempting to accept their offer, but I think it would be unethical to aid and abet a continuing scam.

How do I complain to EBay about this and report this seller and their other 2 sites.

There are many other Chinese dealers that sell copies of paintings, but they are up front and honest about it, and often acknowledge the original artists name. I don't see why this company can't just post pictures of the paintings they are actually selling, they are quite good.

Hell hath no fury like a scammed customer
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Do not change your feedback until you have the refund.

Then post a factual and calm feedback like 'Thank you for the copies of the paintings.' 

Hmmmm. What kind of 'copies' are they? Photolithographs are most common. They are easy to identify because the image is made up of little dots.  Then the honest postive feedback could be, "Attractive photolithographs."

Whatever you do, do NOT change the Detailed Seller Ratings. These are anonymous. A normal transaction gets five stars. The lowest Rating is ONE Star. No stars is a free pass.

ONE Star would be appropriate for such a misdescribed item.

If a seller's DSRs drop to 4.3, his fees may rise, his ability to list and sell may be restricted by number or value of items, or his seller account may be closed.

DSRs are much more important than feedback to the seller's ability to sell. Unfortunately,it was badly implemented and horribly run.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Sometimes reading the entire listing is educational.

*Submit Wholesale Inquiry*
 To order multiple copies of our oil paintings with customized size, style or requirements (stretching or frame services), please submit a wholesale inquiry to save on volume ordering.We will create a special buy-it-now listing for your order, please---> Click here for more details...

Multiple copies of an original.... sized to order..... interesting.Woman LOL

Message 3 of 3
latest reply