Have You Ever Just Missed Out On A Great Item ?

Item was a 1995/96 Winnipeg Jets Game Worn Randy Gilhen Jersey, the last year of the team before Version 2.0, being sold locally for three hundred.

That is an unheard of price for a Version 1.0 Jets jersey & i was very interested.

Unfortunately i was the second caller & was next on the list if the original caller did not buy the item.

Unfortunately the first person bought the jersey & the seller was nice enough to call me to let me know the jersey had sold. Pretty decent of him to do that.

Oh well, next time. I have made some good buys on items in the past & others will surely follow.

Any interesting experiences in regards to near misses ?  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Oooh.......... my Pet Peeve:

During the past weeks I've missed several items true values in the $1,000 range listed for about $100 via BIN.

I see the item nickety split but it's already been sold and then remains on the screen for another 15 minutes as a tease.

I don't know if others have noticed but some items have a time lag when getting listed and I think that some items appear in certain parts of the world first and the reason I'm missing these pieces is because others have been viewing them for a while. (In these cases minutes matter.)

I know that items from the UK take almost a full day to appear and I'm guessing there's a shorter lag for some other items as well.

That is SO ANNOYING............. but it does keep the search interesting.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

To be honest I only run across low cost, high ticket items every six months or so.

That jersey, if bought for resale, will go for big bucks. Great deal for the person who bought it.

Yes, it does make the search more interesting.

Now that a lot of sellers have opted out of the GSP in my category, searching for items has become fun again.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Unusual for me to have that many come up in a short time period as well.  (Summers are best.).

I do get enough hits to make the search worthwhile  ............. not just eBay though or even mainly eBay.

It's something I started when I couldn't get out and about and only had my computer to work with.

Now that I'm mobile again I'm finding it hard to give up.

I really like the new eBay feature where you can select for and check out items sold via BIN.

There are some gems in there.

Now that everyone but me has mobile devices you really have to be vigilant if you want to compete, but even so when listings don't appear everywhere at the same time you can't win.

There are a lot of people on eBay who really know their stuff............

To me that's most apparent when I see how quickly the low cost high ticket items get snapped up............  seems like seconds.

Other sites:  Not so much (yet).

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

One of my suppliers used up some scrap 1 day before they were supposed to ship it to me.  Cost me $2,000.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I put a "placeholder bid" on a Fruity Oaty Bars lunchbox then forgot to put on my real bid (I was thinking around $100). It sold for $17.95.

With only 250 ever produced, I will be an old lady before one comes up again.

"Every well-bred petty thief knows that the small concealable weapons go on the left side of the place setting." Inara Serra, Registered Companion

Message 6 of 6
latest reply